Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

snow tires and TPMs question!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
snow tires and TPMs question!

I am planning to make the stock enkeis my winter rims with some snow tires. Would i need to buy new TPMs or no?

thanks
Old Sep 14, 2008, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I used to work at a tire shop and no you don't need to buy new ones. Just make sure they don't snap the sensor when putting the tire back on the rim. On the other hand if you have aftermarket rims with your sensors attached to them then just have them switched over to the stock rims. This might be a little costly but you don't have to have the sensors on your car if you are just using the stockers for winter.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have two sets of tpms. One in my summer rims, and then the set for snow/stockers. I didn't want to have them switched out, so I just bought another set.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak
I used to work at a tire shop and no you don't need to buy new ones. Just make sure they don't snap the sensor when putting the tire back on the rim. On the other hand if you have aftermarket rims with your sensors attached to them then just have them switched over to the stock rims. This might be a little costly but you don't have to have the sensors on your car if you are just using the stockers for winter.
Thanks, I am planning to get new wheel set for the summer.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoXstylin
I have two sets of tpms. One in my summer rims, and then the set for snow/stockers. I didn't want to have them switched out, so I just bought another set.
does the car recognize both sets? i just paid to have my tpms's swithed over. there's no such thing as winter in socal. just wondering if i ever want to get a second set of wheels
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoXstylin
When you switch your tires from winter to summer do you need to calibrate the sensors again to make it work?
Old Sep 14, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

i believe the new sensors have to be calibrated with the car.

Questions for anyone who knows. What aftermarket rim will the OEM sensors work on??? Just enkei, i hear they will not fit on the advan rims.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

I know you have to calibrate the new sensors.

Do you have to recalibrate the sensors when switching differnt rims, if the sensors have been calibrated in the past?

Does the sensors fit advan rims?
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Yes the sensors have to be recalibrated if they are brand new. They also have to be recalibrated if the sensor is being installed on a new rim. In most cases, the car should recalibrate the sensors itself but if not the shop will do it free of charge. Another fact to remember is when ONLY switching tires, the sensors don't need to be recalibrated IF the shop puts the SAME wheel back on the SAME hub it came off of.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak
Yes the sensors have to be recalibrated if they are brand new. They also have to be recalibrated if the sensor is being installed on a new rim. In most cases, the car should recalibrate the sensors itself but if not the shop will do it free of charge. Another fact to remember is when ONLY switching tires, the sensors don't need to be recalibrated IF the shop puts the SAME wheel back on the SAME hub it came off of.
So what happens when you rotate your tires??? You have to get them calibrated??? Sound like Mitsu is runing a scam here, by having the owners only get work done at the dealer
Old Sep 17, 2008, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Papi4baby
So what happens when you rotate your tires??? You have to get them calibrated??? Sound like Mitsu is runing a scam here, by having the owners only get work done at the dealer
No there is no scam. When you get your tires rotated either the car will automatically recalibrate them or the shop has to do it manually. It should state in the Evo X's owners manual how the TPMS system works.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Red Dragon
I know you have to calibrate the new sensors.

Do you have to recalibrate the sensors when switching differnt rims, if the sensors have been calibrated in the past?

Does the sensors fit advan rims?
I had the sensor switched over from my stockers to my Advan rims. I just need to get them calibrated now.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blckchns
I had the sensor switched over from my stockers to my Advan rims. I just need to get them calibrated now.
So you can do this? Someone said a while back that they didn't fit in the advans?????
Old Sep 18, 2008, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

hmmm....I've ran my sensors in 3 dif sets of rims + stock and have not had to have them recalibrated.....
I use the one set for my DD rims, and figure the winter, I run lower anyways, and the 2 track set ups...well...I'm not too concerned about flats out there
Old Sep 18, 2008, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 08EvoXGSR
hmmm....I've ran my sensors in 3 dif sets of rims + stock and have not had to have them recalibrated.....
I use the one set for my DD rims, and figure the winter, I run lower anyways, and the 2 track set ups...well...I'm not too concerned about flats out there
This means the Evo X automatically recalibrates its own sensors. That's good!

Quick Reply: snow tires and TPMs question!