Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Evo X Brake Pads for Track Days

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2008, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Evo X Brake Pads for Track Days

So I've looked for the last couple of days on what I should settle on for upgraded brake pads for a 2 day "High speed driver education" with the PCA at Watkins Glen on Oct 13/14. This road course is known for being hard on the brakes with all the elevation changes but it's extremely rewarding and fun as I've been there 8 times previously! I installed some extra brake ducts for additional cooling as they really helped my Eclipse GSX at the track, but the EBC Red pads I had on that car got eaten up pretty fast. I found this site that lists some decent options, most other vendors have very few Evo X brake pads listed:

http://www.jscspeed.com/evo_x/brakes/evox_pads.htm

So from what I've gathered:

Hawk Blue 9012 - Dedicated Track Pad

Ferodo DS2500 - Light Track Pad < 1000 F

Hawk HP+ - Some Track + Performance Street

Axxis Ultimate - Auto X + Performance Street < 932 F

What other options are out there for a track pad that aren't completely overkill or rotor eating? I don't mind slightly less braking power if it means my rotors won't be trashed in 2 days. Also if the pads can last for both days which is 120-180 min of track time that would be nice as well. I know that the Evo X is on the heavy side so I'm leaning towards the Ferodo DS2500 or Hawk Blue 9012. Do I absolutely need to replace my rear pads as well?

I'm hungry to order these within the next couple days since the event is about 3 weeks away. Those that have tracked their Evo X's please chime in!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get some Raybestos
Old Sep 18, 2008, 09:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Raybestos ST43, great life, easy on the rotors, and they work great. Same pads used on Blacktrack's car. You'll need adaptors, we have both
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raybestos ST-43's. You'll also need some fresh fluid, I run Castrol SRF.

Let me know if you need any help getting a brake duct kit setup, mine works AMAZING, 40min+ sessions are not an issue.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackTrack
Raybestos ST-43's. You'll also need some fresh fluid, I run Castrol SRF.

Let me know if you need any help getting a brake duct kit setup, mine works AMAZING, 40min+ sessions are not an issue.
pm'd!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Glad to see your back Ryan-where are the vids at?
+1 on the st43-Ryan's car was a stoppin fool a couple weekends ago!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 08EvoXGSR
Glad to see your back Ryan-where are the vids at?
+1 on the st43-Ryan's car was a stoppin fool a couple weekends ago!
His car is a beast!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Girodisc Martin
Raybestos ST43, great life, easy on the rotors, and they work great. Same pads used on Blacktrack's car. You'll need adaptors, we have both
Sounds like a dream come true, expect a PM shortly!

As for fluids it appears the Castrol SRF is really good with a high wet boiling point but if you bleed the brakes right shouldn't you only have to worry about the dry boiling points? I guess the $80 a Litre scared me away as well, Motul RBF600 seems to be a good compromise though. How much fluid is needed to do a full flush and bleed on our brakes?
Old Sep 18, 2008, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

I've tried all of those fluids, RBF600, RBF660, ATE Super Blue and now Castrol SRF. I've only had true success with the Castrol, granted I now have brake ducting. I did run the SRF for a weekend w/o ducting and was very happy, but could still feel the brakes starting to fade near the end of the 20min session.

Everyone drives different, brakes different and had varied success with different combo's. My combo works for me, finally.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

I've tried all of those fluids, RBF600, RBF660, ATE Super Blue and now Castrol SRF. I've only had true success with the Castrol, granted I now have brake ducting. I did run the SRF for a weekend w/o ducting and was very happy, but could still feel the brakes starting to fade near the end of the 20min session.

Everyone drives different, brakes different and had varied success with different combo's. My combo works for me, finally.
I would imagine you are a rather aggressive (and good!) driver after seeing all those videos, I bet your brakes hate you though!

Likely the ducting will tip the scale enough so that I won't have to get the best $80/litre brake fluid since I'm not running in competition, although it's always satisfying to pull away from much more expensive machinery in an Evo on track days.

When exactly does the wet boiling point come into play on these brake fluids? It seems that is what the Castrol SRF has the biggest edge with stat wise.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 04:48 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

It depends how aggressive a pad you want to go with. The better the track pad, the less good it is on the street.

Are things like more brake dust, squealing noises and possible paint damage because of corrosive brake dust (Hawk Blue) an issue for you?

You should pick a pad that works for you..

If 90% of your driving is on the street, get a good high performance street pad that can take some heat (like the DS2500) ...

Go for the all out track pad (like the ST43) if 90% of the time you drive on the race track.

The EBC Reds are not track pads .. more like an aggressive street pad.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZK
It depends how aggressive a pad you want to go with. The better the track pad, the less good it is on the street.

Are things like more brake dust, squealing noises and possible paint damage because of corrosive brake dust (Hawk Blue) an issue for you?

You should pick a pad that works for you..

If 90% of your driving is on the street, get a good high performance street pad that can take some heat (like the DS2500) ...

Go for the all out track pad (like the ST43) if 90% of the time you drive on the race track.

The EBC Reds are not track pads .. more like an aggressive street pad.
I'm still getting by with the stock pads for the street (4500 miles) but eventually I'll look at Axxis Ultimate, Magic Pads, or Hawk HPS for replacements.

For track use I don't mind the dust or noise, I just want solid braking without worries and to be able to count on them lasting for 2 solid track days in a row. I wouldn't be too excited about paint damaging dust though so the Hawk Blues would be less than ideal. Using a pad to do both isn't a bad option but swapping from street to track and back to street pads for a 2 day event is fine with me.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Brake fluid eventually absorbs water from being in the system over time, the water boils at a much lower temp than the fluid itself. The wet boiling point is the temp that the combo of the fluid/water boils. I personally don't worry too much about the wet boiling point because I flush my system often.

I know with fresh fluid, whether it's RBF600 or Castrol SRF, the performance difference between the two should be negligible...but in my experience and results, I've had better luck with the SRF. That's what Im sticking with.

As far as pads on the street, I've ran the ST-43's with no problems. In fact, other than the noise from the rear pads, I'd say they are great street pads. The "bite" is there and they still stop great even when cold. I did notice they wear faster and are a bit more harsh on rotors on the street, but a set will still last 7-10 events and some street driving. The rear pads will last about twice as long as the front pads, so you won't be replacing all four at once all the time, which is kinda nice

Hope that helped,
Ryan
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:16 PM
Former Sponsor

We have the Project Mu Type HC+. They are easy for rotors
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Brake fluid eventually absorbs water from being in the system over time, the water boils at a much lower temp than the fluid itself. The wet boiling point is the temp that the combo of the fluid/water boils. I personally don't worry too much about the wet boiling point because I flush my system often.

I know with fresh fluid, whether it's RBF600 or Castrol SRF, the performance difference between the two should be negligible...but in my experience and results, I've had better luck with the SRF. That's what Im sticking with.

As far as pads on the street, I've ran the ST-43's with no problems. In fact, other than the noise from the rear pads, I'd say they are great street pads. The "bite" is there and they still stop great even when cold. I did notice they wear faster and are a bit more harsh on rotors on the street, but a set will still last 7-10 events and some street driving. The rear pads will last about twice as long as the front pads, so you won't be replacing all four at once all the time, which is kinda nice

Hope that helped,
Ryan

Cool, thanks for the good info!

Quick Reply: Evo X Brake Pads for Track Days