Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Will fit 235/50R18 winter tire to EVO X?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:01 PM
FLK
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well personally i wouldn't run a 17" even though its possible, for peace of mind. But I would run 225/45R18 for winters.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Get yourself some stock sized 245-40 18s on the factory rim. There are plenty of decent winter rated tires, and some decent All Seasons, available in that size. (go to tirerack, have good selection in factory size).

If you're worried that the widest stance won't cut through Chi-town snows cause they'll be too high, you're worrying about deep deep snow, deeper than your air damn will like and you'll be plowing. For anything 4 inches or less, the width won't kill, and will actually help in ice. For anything more than 4 inches of snow, I recommend the L or your 4x4 F250 you can pick up cheap if you don't already have it.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by journeymansteve
Get yourself some stock sized 245-40 18s on the factory rim. There are plenty of decent winter rated tires, and some decent All Seasons, available in that size. (go to tirerack, have good selection in factory size).

If you're worried that the widest stance won't cut through Chi-town snows cause they'll be too high, you're worrying about deep deep snow, deeper than your air damn will like and you'll be plowing. For anything 4 inches or less, the width won't kill, and will actually help in ice. For anything more than 4 inches of snow, I recommend the L or your 4x4 F250 you can pick up cheap if you don't already have it.
if it is just for looking to be able to go from A to B with a couples inches of snow any winter tires in 245-40-18 will do it.
an Evo which is a AWD "rallye car" and the most fun you can have whith those car are on dirt road and icy road.
If you want the fun go narrower and with the best winter tires you can find.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

anyone run a 235/50/18 tire on stock X rims yet who can share the experience?
Old Sep 4, 2009, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

^ They're too tall - won't fit (well, they will, but your going to rub the hell out of everything).

Also, 17" wheels will not clear the front rotors, therefore 17" wheels will not fit
Old Sep 4, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolvedx
^ They're too tall - won't fit (well, they will, but your going to rub the hell out of everything).

Also, 17" wheels will not clear the front rotors, therefore 17" wheels will not fit
I don't see how an extra 1.5" of tire height(3/4" top, 3/4" bottom) is going to cause anything to rub on stock suspension.

just to clarify, I don't care about 17s... wanting to run a 235/50/18 LM25 on my stock GSR rims.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Turn your wheels lock to lock and you'll understand. 235/50 will rub.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolvedx
Turn your wheels lock to lock and you'll understand. 235/50 will rub.
word... I'll have to check this out! thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2009, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

An extra 1.5" might be a bit too tall.. I am going to be running 275/35/19s for summer and they are 1" taller and they will work but it will be tight and will rub slightly when you turn all the way. Granted you are only going to be turning this much at parking lot speeds but the evo has a horrible turning radius any way so the more you rub the less you can turn. I would say 1" taller is the most you can go just from taking a quick look at my car the other day
Old Sep 8, 2009, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire rack also suggests 235/40/18 as an alternative for winter tire size. Anyone try this out yet?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 09:50 AM

I need some recommendations on winter tires, brand and type
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eze078
I have the Avid W4S tires. I call them snow tires. I also call them scary. The OEM and the Z1's spoil me. The snow tires make me feel like I'm lifting off the road. They're cheap, they have decent traction, they have great tire wear. But I wouldn't buy another set. I hear the Continentals are worth looking at... no worry here, I have one or two more winters on these scary tires. Just gotta get to the track one more day :-)
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by eze078
I had the Michelin X ice on a G35 and feel those tires were outstanding.
I bought The X ice 2 for the EVO believe it or not but it does handle as good and brake as good as the Infiniti. I am happy but I don't feel the handling is as good. No prob lem with traction, lateral handling is far to be as good and braking is also not as good.
I did not test them on the same car so it is difficult to judge. The EVO is stiffer so it can make the difference.
I am not talking about normal driving but going to the limit. (ice racing)
For every day they will be perfect. Whith those tire you will enjoy the EVO on the snow but be carrefull it could be tricky to stop.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rands
Tire rack also suggests 235/40/18 as an alternative for winter tire size. Anyone try this out yet?
This^
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by rands
tire rack also suggests 235/40/18 as an alternative for winter tire size. Anyone try this out yet?
yup - tire rack - i got dunlop 235/40/zr18's the 3d's for my evo x and there great , ive had the car buried up to the axle in mud and theyll pull you right out f'd up the body kit ,but they have claw like grip. In the snow they cut through really good and on ice they grip awesome, a fr-wd vw got stuck on ice patch in my drive they had snow tires to i think firestones? Had to push them out. The dunlops felt like they had studs not a problem on ice. Ive had the dunlop m3 also on my ms3. Dunlop tires kick *** and the drop of size hasnt really affected performance, in heavy downfall i can still do 60 on backroads and they feel confident to keep going. I live in nj we just had a blizzard and three more snowstorms after that.

Quick Reply: Will fit 235/50R18 winter tire to EVO X?