Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Is there any difference? in these 2 wheels, works and rota wheels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2008 | 08:47 PM

Is there any difference? in these 2 wheels, works and rota wheels

Just wondering if anyone knows of any differences in the Works CR Kai and the Rota Torque? Thanks for the help.

Rota

works

if the pics don't work check it out here:

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...0974#post90974
Old Nov 3, 2008 | 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

The same difference as a black button up shirt from Walmart and a black button up shirt from Gucci.
Old Nov 3, 2008 | 10:35 PM

^^ so quality is the difference.
Old Nov 3, 2008 | 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

ya quality is the difference. you always get what you paid for. I believe the Works rims are mostly (if not all) forged rims and will cost 3x as much as a set of Rotas. Rotas are cast rims and are heavy. Rarely will you have a cracking issues, even with a cheaply cast rim, but they are significantly heavier and the overall quality will be what you would expect for a third of the cost.
Old Nov 4, 2008 | 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Work Rims are about $1290 for a set. "The CR Kai is a one-piece low-pressure cast aluminium wheel which provides great strength at moderate weight." 18x9.5 is roughly 20 pounds per rim from what I know.

Rota rims are $950 for equivalent size. The Rota is a cast wheel made in the phillipines in a modern factory and certified by VIA, JWL, and ISO. I also think that dude said that Rota does make some OEM rims for major car companies. 18x9.5 is about 22.5 - 23 pounds per rim.

I have owned Rota wheels and they are have been great in motorsports. They are little heavy though. The Work wheels have been used extensively in motorsports and the are japanese quality.
Old Nov 4, 2008 | 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

A buddy of mine had a set of the WORKS (18x9) CR's and they were around 23lbs. a piece. Kinda heavy but well built.
Old Nov 4, 2008 | 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...els&prodid=573

Z1 says they are lighter, but I am no expert. Maybe Darkside will chime in. They sell a lot of Work CR Kai

Edit - I have seen others post that they weigh around 23 pounds, so really there is not much difference except some stickers.

Last edited by EvoG8r; Nov 4, 2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2008 | 08:57 AM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by ricanevo
Just wondering if anyone knows of any differences in the Works CR Kai and the Rota Torque? Thanks for the help.
One is an original design, the other is a knock-off that comes from a family of knock-offs.
Old Nov 4, 2008 | 09:30 AM

Thanks everyone for the info.
Old Nov 4, 2008 | 04:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sikrsix
The same difference as a black button up shirt from Walmart and a black button up shirt from Gucci.
That analogy is very poor They are both cast aluminum wheels that are made from the same material. If you were comparing a cast wheel to a magnesium monoblock wheel then maybe you could use that analogy, maybe...
Originally Posted by EvoG8r
Work Rims are about $1290 for a set. "The CR Kai is a one-piece low-pressure cast aluminium wheel which provides great strength at moderate weight." 18x9.5 is roughly 20 pounds per rim from what I know.

Rota rims are $950 for equivalent size. The Rota is a cast wheel made in the phillipines in a modern factory and certified by VIA, JWL, and ISO. I also think that dude said that Rota does make some OEM rims for major car companies. 18x9.5 is about 22.5 - 23 pounds per rim.

I have owned Rota wheels and they are have been great in motorsports. They are little heavy though. The Work wheels have been used extensively in motorsports and the are japanese quality.
This post pretty much summed everything up The wheels are both one piece low pressure cast aluminum wheels and Rota Torques test up to the same standards that the Work Emotion wheels meet (JWL/VIA). The 18x9.5 +20 Torque for the Evo X is $900 shipped though
Originally Posted by EvoG8r
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...els&prodid=573
Z1 says they are lighter, but I am no expert. Maybe Darkside will chime in. They sell a lot of Work CR Kai
Edit - I have seen others post that they weigh around 23 pounds, so really there is not much difference except some stickers.
The top of the page has a weight for the 18x9.5 model but it doesn't say which offset that's for. This can be misleading as weight varies between offset. We have Rota Torques in 18x9.5 +35 that only weigh 21 lbs yet our 18x9.5 +20 Evo fitment weighs 22.5 lbs

-Dan

Last edited by WheelDude.com; Nov 4, 2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2008 | 08:03 PM
Account Disabled

Wheeldude,

You obviously read through this thread as evidenced by your quoting of other posters, yet you managed to avoid one very important post:

One is an original design, the other is a knock-off that comes from a family of knock-offs.
Honestly, how do you respond to that?
Old Nov 4, 2008 | 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvolvedVIII
Wheeldude,

You obviously read through this thread as evidenced by your quoting of other posters, yet you managed to avoid one very important post:

Honestly, how do you respond to that?
With all due respect and im not wheel dude.

Are you kidding!!!
Old Nov 4, 2008 | 10:19 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Papi4baby
With all due respect and im not wheel dude.

Are you kidding!!!
With all due respect, I'm not kidding.

As the most prolific vendor of Rota wheels on this and many other message boards, I'd like to get Wheeldudes opinion of Rota's continuous and blatant theft of well respected tuner's wheel designs.

Last edited by EvolvedVIII; Nov 4, 2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2008 | 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Now I sound like a moron, but I would have sworn that there was a Work CR-Kai that was forged. In fact I thought I had asked AMS (a seller of the wheel) how much they were off hand one day and they said like 700 a piece for an 18" rim. Granted, I may have been mistaken, or the sales rep was, but is there a forged version of the CR-Kai?
Old Nov 4, 2008 | 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvolvedVIII
With all due respect, I'm not kidding.

As the most prolific vendor of Rota wheels on this and many other message boards, I'd like to get Wheeldudes opinion of Rota's continuous and blatant theft of well respected tuner's wheel designs.
Sorry to blow past your point, I think this type of copying is inevitable. Intellectual work such as this cannot be protected. Fortunately, you do get what you pay for. I like the P45r (probably better then the Nismo LM4F [or whatever it is]), but it is a heavy rim and when I get new rims I will likely go with honest to goodness Advan RSs. Construction is what sets the fakes from the real apart.

Quick Reply: Is there any difference? in these 2 wheels, works and rota wheels