Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

News: Dunlop's for new 2009 Lancer Evo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
News: Dunlop's for new 2009 Lancer Evo

Dunlop's for new 2009 Lancer Evo

Dunlop the Tyre of Choice for Lancer Evo

Subscribe to Tire Review
November 19, 2008
Category: International
Dunlop has announced that its SP Sport 600 tyres have been chosen as OE on Mitsubishi Motors’ new Lancer Evolution X.
The high-performance vehicle comes with a new powerful all-aluminium 2.0 litre turbo engine, with power ranging from 295PS and 407Nm of torque to 359PS and 492Nm, depending on the model. Dunlop will meet the task of transmitting that power to the road with its SP Sport 600 in the size 245/40R18 93Y.

FrÉdÉric Schilling, brand director of Dunlop, said that Mitsubishi’s choice of tyre represented a vindication of Dunlop’s sport-centric focus: “Mitsubishi’s approval for its high performance Lancer Evolution X shows once more Dunlop’s ability and commitment to provide the best tyres for today’s most sporty and demanding cars. Dunlop is committed to developing tyres that enable drivers to fully enjoy the performance of their cars – the Lancer Evolution X offers an amazing level of driving pleasure.” (Tyres & Accessories/Staffordshire, U.K.)

TOMMY B

RALLY ON //////////
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

the dunlop sport 5000s that come on the regular Lancers SUCKKK
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:13 AM

The Run-flat versions of these come stock with the GTR. The ones that were taken on the 'Ring.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Old news.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ghlight=Dunlop

Later,Ken
Old Nov 25, 2008, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KPerez
lol, way to link to a thread that then links again to another thread that isn't even about this topic specifically.

This thread should continue....

thanks for the info OP.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 05:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Are these the same as the ones on the 08+ STi?

- drew
Old Nov 26, 2008, 03:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ddawg1130
lol, way to link to a thread that then links again to another thread that isn't even about this topic specifically.

This thread should continue....

thanks for the info OP.
How does that detract from the information about the change in tires from 08 to 09? What difference does it make where it came from?

Later, Ken
Old Nov 26, 2008, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Are these the same as the ones on the 08+ STi?

- drew
Looks like it, the only size they have listed on T.R. is 245/40/18. There is also a review from a 2008 sti owner that does not sound very good:

Initial Review, 3,000 Miles on Tires
October 06, 2008

This is the OEM tire on the 2008 Subaru Impreza STI and they came with the car. They seem like a poor choice of tire for a high-performance vehicle. These tires squeal and howl during the slightest hint at performance driving and hard cornering and this hasn't got any better in the 3,000 miles I've put on them (it's getting worse). Driver feedback and communication from the wheels is difficult to measure as I haven't tried any other tires on the car, so I won't comment other than to say it doesn't seem very good. Under heavy breaking, the tire performs very well -- I've yet to have the ABS kick in. Wet traction seems reasonable as well, but not steller. Treadwear seems very good, but I don't buy a max performance tire to get 20,000 miles out of it. Road Noise is awful. I've had comments from others that the noise on the freeways is the worst they've ever heard in a passenger car. Overall, a very unimpressive tire. Not sure why Subaru put these on their flagship performance vehicle, especially as they also are fitted if you buy the expensive BBS forged optional alloys. If nothing else puts you off them, the sound of them howling and screaching as soon as you hard turn a corner (which is why you bought an STI, right?) will make you think again.

I'm sure it was a financial decision for mitsu, lower tire cost since this is not "specialty" tire. It does seem like it would be a good daily driver tire but it's a 200 tread wear, IIRC the stock advan is a 180 tread wear.... doesn't really matter since the tread wear rating can be anything the manufacturer wants to label it.

Of course the review above may be tainted by poor alignment or driving style but still.....

O.K. well, I just looked up the advans... $320 each on tirerack... the dunlops are $200 each on tirerack..... I can't see any way for this to be a performance decision, has to be financial, but I do think the dunlops would be a good choice for a Daily Driver tire assuming you have a set of R compounds for the track days and weekend fun runs.

Last edited by Dyno4mance; Nov 26, 2008 at 05:37 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dyno4mance
Looks like it, the only size they have listed on T.R. is 245/40/18. There is also a review from a 2008 sti owner that does not sound very good:

Initial Review, 3,000 Miles on Tires
October 06, 2008

This is the OEM tire on the 2008 Subaru Impreza STI and they came with the car. They seem like a poor choice of tire for a high-performance vehicle. These tires squeal and howl during the slightest hint at performance driving and hard cornering and this hasn't got any better in the 3,000 miles I've put on them (it's getting worse). Driver feedback and communication from the wheels is difficult to measure as I haven't tried any other tires on the car, so I won't comment other than to say it doesn't seem very good. Under heavy breaking, the tire performs very well -- I've yet to have the ABS kick in. Wet traction seems reasonable as well, but not steller. Treadwear seems very good, but I don't buy a max performance tire to get 20,000 miles out of it. Road Noise is awful. I've had comments from others that the noise on the freeways is the worst they've ever heard in a passenger car. Overall, a very unimpressive tire. Not sure why Subaru put these on their flagship performance vehicle, especially as they also are fitted if you buy the expensive BBS forged optional alloys. If nothing else puts you off them, the sound of them howling and screaching as soon as you hard turn a corner (which is why you bought an STI, right?) will make you think again.

I'm sure it was a financial decision for mitsu, lower tire cost since this is not "specialty" tire. It does seem like it would be a good daily driver tire but it's a 200 tread wear, IIRC the stock advan is a 180 tread wear.... doesn't really matter since the tread wear rating can be anything the manufacturer wants to label it.

Of course the review above may be tainted by poor alignment or driving style but still.....

O.K. well, I just looked up the advans... $320 each on tirerack... the dunlops are $200 each on tirerack..... I can't see any way for this to be a performance decision, has to be financial, but I do think the dunlops would be a good choice for a Daily Driver tire assuming you have a set of R compounds for the track days and weekend fun runs.
I agree. They probably also fitted the A13s to the first year of the new vehicle because that was when all the hardcore testing is going to be done. There is no way these tires are better then the A13s when it comes to performance.

The review above might also be tainted because it's an 08 STI... lol.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 09:51 AM
Account Disabled

lol, first mitsu skimps on LED taillights and makes you pay extra for the high wing, now they're skimping on performance tires. my goodness...
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:09 AM
JWA
Evolving Member

That is the same tire that comes on the '08+ STI, and it simply isn't anywhere near the A13's. The vastly superior tires on the Evo skewed the results a bit in comparison tests. New comparo's done on the same tires will be interesting to see, but it's a shame that they're moving to a less impressive tire.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by JWA
That is the same tire that comes on the '08+ STI, and it simply isn't anywhere near the A13's. The vastly superior tires on the Evo skewed the results a bit in comparison tests. New comparo's done on the same tires will be interesting to see, but it's a shame that they're moving to a less impressive tire.
ya, and watch it still embarrass the sti. i love the whole excuse that subaru gave the sti ****ty tires and thats why it doesn't handle good.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tomatoEVO
lol, first mitsu skimps on LED taillights and makes you pay extra for the high wing, now they're skimping on performance tires. my goodness...
When you're circling the drain, you have to cut corners somewhere
Old Nov 26, 2008, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Over on the Subi sites people are selling these tires left and right. That might tell you something.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ddawg1130
I agree. They probably also fitted the A13s to the first year of the new vehicle because that was when all the hardcore testing is going to be done. There is no way these tires are better then the A13s when it comes to performance.
The review above might also be tainted because it's an 08 STI... lol.
+1.

Quick Reply: News: Dunlop's for new 2009 Lancer Evo