Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need opinions on winter tires

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the market for some snow tires, but everyone's opinion's seem to vary so it's hard to finalize a decision based on other owners experiences.

Most people on the board say Evos on Blizzaks or Winter Sport 3Ds are incredible in snow and ice. But others come on and have different experiences. I can live with some performance loss on dry/wet roads, but the whole purpose of buying a dedicated snow tire is to have incredible grip in ****ty conditions.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

OK, so now Firestone is matching the price on the LM-25s with the price I got on the W.drives at DiscountTire.. So I can essentially get either of those tires installed for about $900 total.

Decisions decisions.. Which one should I choose then? My impression is that they are similar in performance, but the LM25s are slightly better on snow and slightly worse on dry conditions, is this correct?

Any help appreciated.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrackaBoi
OK, so now Firestone is matching the price on the LM-25s with the price I got on the W.drives at DiscountTire.. So I can essentially get either of those tires installed for about $900 total.

Decisions decisions.. Which one should I choose then? My impression is that they are similar in performance, but the LM25s are slightly better on snow and slightly worse on dry conditions, is this correct?

Any help appreciated.
You're getting the tires for WINTER right? Why the **** would you care how they are in the dry? Seriously... My W300s suck in the dry, even compared to my 340 treadwear no-name brand summer tires... But I could give a ****, they're on the car for the winter to save my *** the best they can during the winter, not so I can drive fast.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Hah, because it doesn't snow ALL WINTER. There will of course be periods of melting snow, and of dry roads between snowstorms. I need a tire that can perform in the city under such condtions (perform meaning being OK), and when I go up the mountains in a full blizzard. Get it?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

But I need opinions, LM-25 or W.drive?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, but do you need to go FAST when it is dry in the winter? Or just be able to drive normally/safely? I think the answer is normally/safely, in that case, take the one that is best in the snow and is going to help you best survive the mountains in the full blizzard. Just because it isn't good in the dry doesn't mean it is gonna be slippery when the roads are dry and warmer, it just means you won't be able to take that 90* corner at full speed like you could with some other tire.

As soon as you switch to either tire from the stock tires you'll get what we mean by "bad in the dry." The car will feel unattached and not quite as grippy and responsive, among other things.

IMO I'd always go with Blizzaks for a winter tire, but that's because the LM-22s I had on the Evo made the Evo a God. I tried to get the LM-25s for the Porsche, but they were all sold out in the right sizes by the time I looked around, and the next best were the Hankooks.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, we are on the same page. I don't need insane grip in dry conditions, but I need to be able to drive it normally.
And I will only have these tires on about 3 months a year, so performance on snow is top priority.
Thanks for the clarification.

I still can't decide, I don't really know how these two tires compare..
Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

lm25s or w.drives??
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

I told you what I think. I'd do the LM25s without hesitation.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

I got a set of the Dunlop Graspic winter tires for my X. They were less expensive and have a less aggressive tread than the 3D's or Blizzak's but they seem to be working very well in snow and slush.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, and as an example of crappy dry traction. I did a U-turn to get onto a freeway entrance today. I always turn off PSM to do U-turns because that helps to rotate the car easier (for obvious reasons). Needless to say, thanks to the tires (and partially the amount of salt on the road, I'm sure) it was much easier to get the back end to step out, meaning less traction than my summer tires. Boy, U-turns are sure one place I don't miss the Evo at all.

And a note in case anyone freaks out: I was not drifting, I simply got the back end slightly loose to help me rotate the car to turn tighter.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 09:12 PM

I would buy whatever you can get from Discount tire...they have always given me great service on all my cars. That is more important to me than $100 here or there when you have a tire blow out.

I had the Dunlop 3Ds on a car, and they were great in the snow, wet, and dry... Not as good in the Snow as my Nokian Hakkas, not as good in the Dry/West as the Falken Azenis...but a good compromise for the Winter months. Excellent Hydroplaning resistance.

PS: Discount has matched/beat tire rack in the past for me as well...
Old Dec 10, 2008, 09:21 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the LM25's and they are as good for the snow and slush as they are for the dry conditions. I use it at least 3-4months every year before I change to the advans and it takes care of the year-round tire wear. I would go with LM25(money is not a factor).
Old Dec 10, 2008, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3Ds FTW! Seriously though they perform amazing in the snow and have great drive-ability in dry conditions.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ya i would stay away from the Hankook Icebear W300 only the fact that there 235. I would try and stay with the 245. And i no what you mean about sliding every where. I got stuck in the mountians the other day with my stock tires lol.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on winter tires