Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need opinions on winter tires

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need opinions on winter tires

So, the winter finally made it here to Denver. I have of course been lazy and not gotten winter tires on yet, so on the snow yesterday I was sliding around like a drunk turkey with my stock ADVAN tires. Hah, it was nuts. Definitely not doing that again.

So I've been shopping around for winter tires, and I've gotten three offers. I'd really like your help on deciding:
What do you think? How do they compare? These are all expensive, and I wasn't planning on dumping a whole lot of money on this, so price is a concern. I'll only be using them for about 3 months or so a year, and I certainly won't be racing with them.

All input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Of those 3, at those prices, I'd go with the Yokos. They've gotten positive mentions around here. The Blizzaks are not worth that much. I paid $950 mounted for my Dunlop M3s (older version of 3Ds), so that Blizzak quote seems way out of line.

The Hankook quote is attractive, but I've only seen a couple comments on them. They may be great for all I know, but I'd be concerned. Probably 95%+ of everyone on here is running either Dunlop 3D/M3, LM-25, or W.Drives.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I'm def leaning towards the Yokos. They aren't that much more than the Hankooks anyways.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
I run Hankook's. They work great for me. Have no idea how they'd compare to the others as I have never run those.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

i run blizzaks ws60 instead of LM25, ws60 does not have the performance of LM25 but it's winter, who needs to go 120+ lol i got mine 600 for whole set and it owns Colorado snow!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think the WS60s come in the low-profile 18" sizes we need on the X since we can't step down to a 17" wheel.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

The W300 are the tires I have on the Porsche because the LM25s were sold out in my size when I needed them. They work as well as I can expect any winter tire to work, which is pretty damn good, considering I had LM22s on the Evo and these work just as well. I drive the Porsche up to go 'boarding all the time Can't wait to get pulled over by a cop for being "two-wheel drive without snow tires." The look on their face when I show them that they are snow tires and that I am awd will be great.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
I don't think the WS60s come in the low-profile 18" sizes we need on the X since we can't step down to a 17" wheel.
I think this is true.. It doesnt show up as compatible with the X on f. ex. tirerack.com.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrackaBoi
I think this is true.. It doesnt show up as compatible with the X on f. ex. tirerack.com.
my fault, i thought they did, lol
Old Dec 5, 2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by CrackaBoi
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I'm def leaning towards the Yokos. They aren't that much more than the Hankooks anyways.
YGPM!!!
I run the hankooks if thoes ones that I sent you a link to dont work out for you .
Old Dec 8, 2008, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Dunlop Winter Sport M3s (Tirerack) are working well for me on my X (245/40-18). Very good all around winter tire. Dry handling is surprisingly good. They were a bit better in 235/45-17 on my VIII RS, but that's not an option now. The X still grips like a scared cat in packed snow (better than my Jeep GC with all seasons), and I'm usually well into the boost. I can only imagine it with a properly sized (narrower) snow tire.

FYI - Blizzak WS60 are the best SNOW tire, but not avail in 245-40. Might not want them anyway if you're driving much on dry roads. They would probably be a joke for handling.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:23 AM

I have the yokohama W.Drives and love the. Excellent tire so far. I live in Chicago and we have had is snow a few times already and they are great... Awesome on wet, and dry too.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys. I'm getting the W.drives installed this week.
Can't wait, I need em!
Old Dec 8, 2008, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

I've had the Blizzak LM-25's now for a few weeks. These tires turned out to be the opposite of what I expected. Handling in the dry is actually pretty good. Snow traction wasn't as great as I expected. Anyone else feel the same way?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

I was extremely impressed with the dry handling characteristics of the M3s. I've said it before, but they handle better wet/dry than the OEM all-seasons on my Si.

I haven't been disappointed with them in the snow, but I wasn't expecting amazing snow abilities either. I had a fun snow-romp a few days back, and the Evo takes to them a lot better than the Si did. Must be the AWD advantage.

Still, the performance winters are a trade-off. They're not as good as they can be in the snow/ice, and there's not much you can do about it since we can't step down to smaller wheels easily.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on winter tires