Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Coilover Hunt!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2009, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilover Hunt!!!

I'm on the hunt for some coilovers. I will be purchasing some in the next month and throw em on as a winter project. I want to have my car ready to hit the track again come spring.
Sooooo.... I was looking at Modern Automotive's website and they carry a ton of different coilovers.

My question is, why are coilovers built by Megan Racing only 900 dollars? While Coilovers like the Blitz ZRs $2500?

I also noticed that the more expensive coilovers dont have camber adjustments... why is that???? Is it bad to adjust camber from the coil, like that??? Because that would be a dream come true for a track car.

I track my car, but it's also my DD, what do people recommend for my MR, thats going to improve handling, while not ruining the ride at its softest setting?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2009, 04:33 PM
Account Disabled

megan coils are crappy.. thats why they are 800ish
Old Jan 3, 2009, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not "crappy" but entry level.

There are a ton of reasons for the difference in price. Typically it's adjustability, name brand, quality of components, marketing budget, engineering costs, etc.

As to why some are camber adjustable or not, that's because some come with camber plates/pillowball mounts and some (KW, etc.) don't. Camber plates are another $300+
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:47 PM

bilstein you can them revavled regased and later on ext canisters!!! cheers from oz syd
Old Jan 4, 2009, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

I have had three different coilovers on my evo...

Unfortunately, I had the Megan Racing on my care for 5 months... it took 3 months to sell them...otherwise it would never be on my car for 5 months.
Rebound was horrible. Dampening felt soft... you go over a dip around 65mph+ and you feel like you're gonna fly out of your seat let alone lose control of your car.

I had HKS Hipermax II's for over a year.
Hipermax felt ok, rebound felt a little aggressive. Under dampened in my opinion on the track. On the street, the twin tubes are much better.
In the winter, the hipermax felt super stiff and bouncy...twin tubes fail. Also, they rusted like no other.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the HKS's... they need to put some anti rust stuff on'em
Liked it until I drove my friend's evo with STANCE GR+.
Then I drove my friend's STi with STANCE GR+ Pro.

You know where this story is headed.
Sold HKS got STANCE

Dampening felt a little aggressive at first, but I turned the adj knob down to a softer setting for the street, and gave me the firm ride that I like...
It's hard to describe the ride... feels very flat... going over dips / bumps... very smooth. I have Auto-X about 6 times last year and one track event, and they felt much more stable.

Before, going over small dips / rail road tracks...I always gripped the steering wheel hard...bracing myself. But with Stance... no more of that nonsense.
hahaha.

These are only personal experiences...
hope it helps.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Theres alot of different options for coilovers out there. IMO its better to roll around on these forums and find all the reviews that you need after all its a very expensive purchase.

If you're going to spend big money on a good set of suspension, you mind as well spend a couple hundred more to get a more reliable set. Robispec KWs is an example of proven good suspension that I'm sure you'll find lots of information on evom.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:21 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Megans were great when new then go to crap after you drive it a while. You will bounce around like a pogo stick when the shocks wear out. BC Racing Type BR had a similar experience but lasted a bit longer.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Best Daily Driver/Track setup are Robi KW's. They are amazing on track, while still being very compliant on the street. I have my set for sale, and stand behind them 100%. Plus I'm local

Check em:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...prototype.html
Old Jan 5, 2009, 07:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by voodooman79
I'm on the hunt for some coilovers. I will be purchasing some in the next month and throw em on as a winter project. I want to have my car ready to hit the track again come spring.
Sooooo.... I was looking at Modern Automotive's website and they carry a ton of different coilovers.
My advice....make your winter project research on what makes one coilover better than another. Read read read! Then....question what you read, and read some more!

There are a ton of different coilovers out there. Once you get past the marketing "technical specs", you'll really see that 75% of them are extremely similar, and not that great. But there are good sets out there that can be had for reasonable amounts of money.

- Andrew....trying hard to not throw out brand names even though he wants to!
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:51 PM

thank you guys for all the advice! I don't want to spend 2 grand on a setup again, especially if it's not going to come with camber adjustment. The Stance GR+ Pros Or the Stance AL+ Pros are looking amazing to me, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna pull the trigger on those.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

I will be using my car for duel duty also and am considering 3 of them:

- KW's like the one's Blacktrack has for sale
- Works Ohlins (Have Integrated Camber Plates)
- Vorshlag Motorsports AST's (WIth Vorshlag Camber Plates)

All three of those are a quality coilovers that will have good ride quality for the street and are also very track capable. I have had KW's and Ohlins on past track vehicles and have heard great things about the AST's and Vorshlag motorsports.

GTWorx has great advice. Read. Research. Read. Research....

and pick what best fit's your needs
Old Jan 6, 2009, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoPooPoo
Unfortunately, I had the Megan Racing on my care for 5 months... Dampening felt soft... you go over a dip around 65mph+ and you feel like you're gonna fly out of your seat let alone lose control of your car.....
\

If I'm not mistaken the above situation is related to the high speed damping characteristics of the shock (high shock travel speed like hitting a bump or dip at speed). Miles or someone can please correct me if I'm wrong but this is more often than not non adjustable on coilovers that run less than 2,000 bones. All the adjustments for damping and rebound (in most cases) are only for low speed damping and rebound (low speed as in low shock travel speed like on corner entry / exit)

I personally feel the KW v3 is the best all around setup for a daily driver that see's track time. But I will say that the V3's I had on my VIII had a similar characteristic to what EvoPooPoo mentioned above... during interstate cruize (70-90mph) if you hit a good dip or bump it would feel like you were comming out of the seat. But, unlike what he mentioned with the megan's, it never felt like the car was out of control or the tires were loosing contact with the road, just your but loosing contact with the seat. Other than that they road better than the stock shocks and springs.

I'm sure the high speed damping of the V3's (and many others) can be adjusted at build / rebuild time and in the case of the V3's Robi may already have sorted that out with his spec V3's.