Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire questions...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire questions...

I was on the tire rack's site... just looking at the different ones available for the X really... I like to know how much stuff will cost me later on I guess.

Anyway, the factory tires are 320.00 a piece... not to surprised considering the performance, but then I look at some of the lesser priced tires and all of the numbers seem to be the same, yet one set Yokohama AVID W4S is 149.00 a piece and seems to have specs similar to the factory Advans... could someone explain why you would want to buy the same expensive factory tires when you could get others that seem to be just as good for less than half?

I'm sure I may have missed something, so if they are not that great of a tire... why do you feel that way? Which ones do you feel are better other than the factory ones for the money? I'm posting the stats below... the only thing I see is the MPH rating, but considering the Evo is governed at 155 mph, why do the tires need to be rated at 186?

Avid W4S stats:
Size: 245/40R18
Serv. Desc: 97W Load Index 97 = 1609lbs (730kg) per tire
Speed Rating “W” = 168mph (270kph)
Load Range XL
UTQG: Treadwear: 400
Traction: AA
Temperature: A400 AA A

OEM tire stats :
Size: 245/40R18
Serv. Desc: 93Y Load Index 93 = 1433lbs (650kg) per tire
Speed Rating “Y” = 186mph (300kph)
UTQG: Treadwear: 180
Traction: A
Temperature: A180 A A
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
stats only tell 1/10th of the picture.

The W4S is an all season tire with nowhere near as much traction and grip as the stock tire.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have nitto invo on mine and they seem the same if not better than the advans that came on mine.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
stats only tell 1/10th of the picture.

The W4S is an all season tire with nowhere near as much traction and grip as the stock tire.
Not to cause an argument, but more to try and understand this, how can this be explained if that is the case?

Traction
Grades Asphalt
g force Concrete
g force
AA Above 0.54 0.41
A Above 0.47 0.35
B Above 0.38 0.26
C Less Than 0.38 0.26

It's showing that the AA has the higher G force rating than the OEM tires that are just rated a single A
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Ignore the ratings and number on the side for a second.

What do you think has better dry grip?

High Performance Summer
High Performance All Season

If you want the currently available bang-for-the-buck summer tire stick with the Dunlop Star Spec. If you want to wait a bit for a summer tire, look at the new Nitto and Bridgestone, but I'm sure they will be more expensive.

If you want an all season for your Evo, I can't help you because I think that those tires will do you a disservice and make your Evo unenjoyable to drive. (note for winter you absolutely need winter tires).
Old Feb 2, 2009, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Ignore the ratings and number on the side for a second.

What do you think has better dry grip?

High Performance Summer
High Performance All Season

If you want the currently available bang-for-the-buck summer tire stick with the Dunlop Star Spec. If you want to wait a bit for a summer tire, look at the new Nitto and Bridgestone, but I'm sure they will be more expensive.

If you want an all season for your Evo, I can't help you because I think that those tires will do you a disservice and make your Evo unenjoyable to drive. (note for winter you absolutely need winter tires).
well yeah, the winter tires I figured would be a good thing to have. Honestly though, we have gotten snow here 1 time this winter so far.. and it was about 2 inches, so winter tires for me would likely be a waste. I guess you never know what will happen though.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

well I live in Dallas so I just run summer tires all the time
Old Feb 2, 2009, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

The OEM tires are pretty nice, but like goofy grin said, there are better options out there. And some of the better options are a lot less expensive then the OEM tires. Once again, the direzza Z1 star specs are what I will put on my evo when I need to replace tires. (currently have them on my bmw, and they are fantastic).
Old Feb 6, 2009, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Bought both of referred: W4S AND Z1

For the original question, what you should be looking for is the fastest wearing tires spec out there. That means it's pretty sticky and loses tread fast because of that. 180 is the number for the ADVAN's. About as sticky as they sell.

Thanks for the input from everyone. This gives me pause to consider my own buys.

Last summer I had some spare dough a few months before winter and couldn't figure out what to do. So I bought two types to contrast since I needed A/S for this winter here in the midwest. They were:

1 - a set of Avid W4S's, the ones you mentioned
2 - a set of dunlop Z1 star specs, same again

Can't believe the analogy! -- 1/2 blind, just reading tire rack....

Heres what I can say about the W4S tires. I hate them.

The W4S are basically "snow tires" for an evo. From what I've read up North, I should have gone with the Continental that they're so raving about. It didn't look to have as aggressive and firm tread pattern, so I went with Yoko. How could I go wrong for snow season? Well, they are dangerous on an Evo on curves if you're used to the OEM ADVAN badboys. Those ADVAN's are also a lot lighter. The W4S has a lot of rubber, part of its cornering lameness, and that weight will slow you down. I lost a bit in the 1/4m during a tune day from them.

Oh well. Spring will be here soon. I have probably another 1000m if I'm lucky on the old ADVANs I had saved back in late Oct. And the Z1's look sweet!. They smell nice too in the basement. My wife asks me why I'm collecting tires everywhere!

(and I'll have these lousy W4S's for next year. Have to say, treadlife is great. They'll last forever )
Old Feb 7, 2009, 07:16 AM

dunlop Z1 star specs is the way I'll go after the stockers are shot
Old Feb 7, 2009, 11:22 AM
WAM
Evolving Member

The best data on the TireRack website are the comparative tire tests. They have their own test track and keep it consistent from test to test.

I pay particularly close attention to the dry slalom and dry track laptime results. If I lived in a wetter place, there's wet slalom and wet track data there too.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

I saw a review for some Nitto's which sounded pretty good.. I can't remember the type they were, they had like regular tread on half and then like 2 or 3 lines that went around the whole tire.... perhaps someone here knows. It was on the main page for a while.. maybe it still is.

yep, here it is... https://www.evolutionm.net/features/article.php?id=103
Old Feb 13, 2009, 06:50 PM
WAM
Evolving Member

They also have a new street tire that looks a lot like their comp tires, NT-05. It has harder rubber so should last longer.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

To the OP, the tire you choose is dependent upon the type of weather/traction conditions you experience for a given season and how serious you are about tracking the car.
The guys in S. Cali, Texas and Florida do not have to worry about seasonal effects so they can focus on summer tires only. However, for those of us in the north where the white fluffy stuff comes down, it is more difficult. There are two schools of thought for these environs: Two tire sets, one summer, other winter. The other is go with all season tires.
For the first approach (and cheapest) you have to buy a summer tire, lets say the Star spec@~$200/tire (OEM spec) and a winter tire, say Blizzak LM_22 for ~$200. Every season you will have to go through the hassle of changing tires and soon enough to avoid getting caught in a slippery/snow condition which means, to be safe, you are going to running these very soft tires into the ground depending upon that seasons weather.
The other approach uses one tire, the AS for the whole year at an intial cost of ~$200/tire. In short, you are paying twice as much although not totally since you are wearing out 8 tires instead of 4. That said, the AS have a much higher UTQG rating (e.g., 420) so will wear much bether than either of the summer or winter tires in their respective seasons.

Now I can hear all the howls from others saying, If you choose the AS approach you will have compromised both seasons in terms of safety and performance; in snow you will have poor traction and in summer no performance handling.

Well the answer comes down to what you will be doing with the car and the time you plan on spending on the track/AutoX. Does it really make sence to run a really soft tire with an aggressive suspension set up driving around town and taking a long trip? Do you really need the ultimate handling tire for these conditions? High performance summer tires under these mild conditions wear out fast; OEM Advans 10-12K mi and that is w/o tracking. I have heard that one AutoX event with practice runs and 3 test runs can completely eat up the OEM tires; the same for any tire of similar softness, like the Star Spec. For winter with the excellent AWD system of the X, you do not need winter tires.; the AS can easily get you going and safely.
IMHO if you are really going to AutoX you should have a dedicated tire&wheel combo to mount at each track event; using one set of tires for DD and track is questionable especially when you start wearing them out quickly and then have to drive home with same. Just 2 cents and ,yes, I am ready to flamed.

Later, Ken
Old Feb 14, 2009, 09:15 AM
WAM
Evolving Member

Yes you should be flamed. That's too mature for the internet.

Only problem with multiple sets is the pressure sensor / re-calibration issue.

Quick Reply: Tire questions...