Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Installed Megan Coilovers on my Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2009, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IMPORTIMAGE
should check out the inverted or ER series for racing, much better performance.
Define better performance? The only advantage inverted dampers have over regular ones is that they have slightly less unsprung weight. In general, inverted dampers have a smaller piston or a larger body to compensate for the seals around the damper, but that varies per manufacturer. You get slightly better cooling sometimes too, but that's pretty minor.

Are there other differences between the inverted and non-inverted BCs than I don't know about?

I finally found a road that makes the car pretty unhappy right now, 101 North north of the san jose airport has a series of undulating bumps and I get some unhappiness there. It's a torture test for low speed damping since the car isn't moving very fast. These feel a little short on low speed compression damping in those situations, and it didn't change with adjustment. Kinda strange.

I'm still happy with them for the price, but I will probably try something else eventually... (and dang I still need to send you that drop in Joe!)
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
What is the spring height in mm both front and rear? They need helper springs on either end? What are the spring rates? Does the lower spring perch sit below, in the middle, at, or above the tire?
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:31 AM

8kg 6kg

lower perch is above the tire both front and rear, they give a lot of space.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for sharing Op, I currently have the street series Megan struts and schocks combo on my MR, it improved my ride overall especially since the stock suspension had nearly 200k on them they started to feel slugish. My only concern now is that the left hand side Hard-Soft knob slided over to the corner while the right hand stayed in the middle position.
Thoughts??
Old Nov 8, 2011, 04:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jona31
I have the SWIFT springs on my 'MR' and I absolutely agree with your point. Under high lateral load conditions, any bumps or undulations mid corner really throw off my car. Great review, by the way.

J
The stock shocks need more high speed damping. Swifts springs are great, but they can't make up for the OEM shocks shortcomings.

Originally Posted by Solo-Wing06
Thanks for sharing Op, I currently have the street series Megan struts and schocks combo on my MR, it improved my ride overall especially since the stock suspension had nearly 200k on them they started to feel slugish. My only concern now is that the left hand side Hard-Soft knob slided over to the corner while the right hand stayed in the middle position.
Thoughts??
You mean the top of the shock has moved in relation to the rest of the top mount? Please post pics... If it's in the front, it sounds like your pillowball slipped. If so, your alignment is really off.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
The stock shocks need more high speed damping.
Hm. That's the exact opposite of my impression. The high-speed compression is about right. It's the pathetic amount of low-speed rebound that's the problem with the OE shocks on a Evo X GSR. A bit more low-speed compression would be nice, too. But there's no need for more high-speed compression.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 07:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Glad you enjoy the Megans. For some people they work out very well. We've had a couple sets on 8/9s and they work out alright. There are better options but it all depends on your use and budget. There is a shoe for every size so to speak.