Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Question: lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question: lowering springs

I'm looking to get some Swift Sport springs. I know an alignment is necessary after lowering the vehicle but is there anything else that needs to be adjusted such as camber? The drop on these springs is 1.0" front and 0.6" rear.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:01 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by iceman1680
I'm looking to get some Swift Sport springs. I know an alignment is necessary after lowering the vehicle but is there anything else that needs to be adjusted such as camber? The drop on these springs is 1.0" front and 0.6" rear.
camber adjustment is part of the wheel alignment.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, you will need an alignment which adjusts camber and toe.

- Andrew
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

I've got a noob question: Do lowering springs really help handling performance? Or is it more for looks?

Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
springs are for looks (minimal performance change for the better depending on who you are asking and what springs)
Coilovers are for performance
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

I think they help performance a little bit by reducing body roll and lowering the center of gravity. You just need to pick springs that don't give a huge drop.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ZK
camber adjustment is part of the wheel alignment.
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Yes, you will need an alignment which adjusts camber and toe.

- Andrew
Thanks guys.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:46 PM
FLK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EngRWW33
springs are for looks (minimal performance change for the better depending on who you are asking and what springs)
Coilovers are for performance
+1 looks only.

I would further argue that installing any lowering spring will degrade performance of the X, not improve it at all. I find a lot of people who actually have springs installed all claim that it feels better and there is less body roll. Well this may be how you feel but in actuality less body roll isn't always a good thing. Your perception that the car feels more planted is just that, a perception based on motion. The fact that it "feels better" will only inspire false confidence that the car handles well.

You need to have a lot of extra grip and suspension mods to compensate for the increased stiffness and shortened suspension travel. Just installing springs alone without matching shocks will hurt your damping, give you more bump steer and gimp your well-engineered stock suspension.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the replys to my question. I always figured just doing the springs was mainly for looks, not handling. Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FLK
+1 looks only.

I would further argue that installing any lowering spring will degrade performance of the X, not improve it at all. I find a lot of people who actually have springs installed all claim that it feels better and there is less body roll. Well this may be how you feel but in actuality less body roll isn't always a good thing. Your perception that the car feels more planted is just that, a perception based on motion. The fact that it "feels better" will only inspire false confidence that the car handles well.

You need to have a lot of extra grip and suspension mods to compensate for the increased stiffness and shortened suspension travel. Just installing springs alone without matching shocks will hurt your damping, give you more bump steer and gimp your well-engineered stock suspension.
i want my cake and eat it too...i'd like to get lowering springs and also improve/sustain handling characteristics. is this possible when it comes to a daily driver?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:00 PM
FLK
Evolved Member

^If you use the car for DD/track days you should stay with the stock suspension. Only pro race drivers can push the X to it's suspension limit in stock form, you're better off going to a driving school if you want better handling.

But if you want looks only and drive on the street it's not really going to kill your handling either. Only on the track you will notice the worse handling when driven hard. It will wear out your shocks faster too.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by John83
i want my cake and eat it too...i'd like to get lowering springs and also improve/sustain handling characteristics. is this possible when it comes to a daily driver?
It was for the old car with our GTWorx springs. But we use a mild drop, which isn't "cool" enough for some people. We designed the springs for performance with a lot of research and testing behind them. It's a nice, good handling package that still has pretty good ride quality, especially with Bilsteins. Yes I'm biased.

Mild drop to maintain a decent amount of travel, solid bump in spring rates designed to work with the standard valving, and rates that are designed to work wtih the EVO suspension geometry is key.

Honestly, the bigger the drop, the higher the chance that it's a "style" spring.

SO my opinion is that it depends on the springs. We'd like to make some for the X.

Yes you'll get better performance from a good coilover, but IMO some coilovers are hardly upgrades.

- Andrew
Old Feb 20, 2009, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Yes you'll get better performance from a good coilover, but IMO some coilovers are hardly upgrades.- Andrew
Agree. Besides, it’s all relative, if you drop the car an inch does not mean you now have an Abrahams tank.

Last edited by lowkey; Feb 20, 2009 at 06:32 AM.