Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Alignment

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2009, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment

How much should this cost. I was driving down the highway today nd realized my wheel is a touch off. not much but enought to bother me and when i let go of the wheel the car pulls to the left a little bit. Not sure why or what could be causing this but i want to get it fixed. How much should i be paying for an alignment?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

I belive its now standard on most new cars to do this something to do with a case of a driver falling asleep behing the wheel and the wheel slightliy to the left will make the car swirve,I know it sounds stupid but its not the only car.I thought my alignment was also off untill I was told what I just mentiond this came from a tech at a dealer.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

thanks captain however im not asleep and my car pulls to the left. Thats NOT ok in my book especially considering it didnt do it before i switched out my tires. Even in the left lane or right lane it pulls left, and its not right. the wheel is not straight. SO, once again, does anyone know how much an alignment for an evo normally costs. I was quoted 150 but to me, for an alignment, that seems high. Let me know what you guys have paid, etc.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 04:09 PM
Former Vendor

Could be bad tire wear as well. Normal cost is 65-85 dollars.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

no tires are fine. I just checked the tire wear. And i had winter tires on my car, then just switched back to my summer tires. That is when i noticed this and when it started. Yea i thought the price on the alignment seemed a little bit too high even if its a "really good" alignment job. Could something with switching my tires have caused this? OR could a rim not be balances right and be causing my car to pull left for some reason? Maybe if the right tire has more tire weights on it or something? Im not too sure as this is my first AWD car so any help is greatly appreciated to figuring out why it is all of a sudden doing this. And i did NOT notice this before the tires were switched back from my winters to summers. Let me know.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

anyone??
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bear.914
I belive its now standard on most new cars to do this something to do with a case of a driver falling asleep behing the wheel and the wheel slightliy to the left will make the car swirve,I know it sounds stupid but its not the only car.I thought my alignment was also off untill I was told what I just mentiond this came from a tech at a dealer.
So if at any time you fall asleep or let go of the wheel you steer into on coming traffic? I sort of think that I don't know maybe a hazard of sorts.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

has anyone ever gotten their car aligned by a performance shop, and know how much it costed them? I just dont know if i can justify 150 bucks for an alignment, and i REALLY hope i didnt like bend anything, i just dont know how this happened.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

We have a place out here,firestone tire shop and I think for like 150 or something like that,you can have your car aligned as many times as you like.I'm going to purchase that deal as soon as I drop my car and as soon as I take my car to the track.I don't know if all firestone stores offer that deal.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:19 AM

firestone lifetime deal ran me round 160
Old Feb 25, 2009, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

ok i just wanted to make sure. I thought 150 for a regular alignment was insane. And do you know if they do laser alignment? Or does that not nessecarily matter?
Old Feb 25, 2009, 08:34 PM

If you paid 30k+ for a car why are you complaining about paying 150 to fix it if theres a problem. wouldnt you want to make sure you got the best service possible
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

could just be tire pull, alignment should cost $75 max.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Yea, idk what to do. Maybe I will call and see if i can talk down the 150 dollar alignment. We shall see though.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your estimate from the performance shop seems to be in line with what other performance shops in my area quote. Performance shops deal with these cars on a regular basis and are usually well aware of the right alignment for a desired behavior.

Personally, I have the firestone lifetime alignment for 167 + taxes (lasts until you own the vehicle, or until firestone files for bankruptcy ). Anyway, you have to remember to work with a particular firestone shop, possibly get to know the mechanic working on your vehicle and ensure you are both on the same page. This can give you an almost identical result to a performance shop.

Remember that the Evo also comes with a slight default negative camber. I wore out the inner edges of my stock Advans not knowing this. With my new winters (at costco) I made sure firestone aligned so that I should not see uneven tire wear. I also have tires checked out every 5000 miles at costco for tire wear.

I have also noticed that its very hard to find a flat road in my area. most of the times I see the vehicle moving to another direction is because of a slant or uneven pavement. I can literally feel uneven road bumps at the steering wheel, especially approaching a stop light/sign on a tar road. I am just trying to point out that some very small imperfections in the pavement can make you think you have an alignment problem when there is none to begin with.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Alignment