Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Wheel Spacers and vibration

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2009, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Wheel Spacers and vibration

Well my new wheels are completely trouble free without using wheel spacers despite the tight 3-4mm clearence to the suspension on the fronts. I decided to get some 5mm ICHIBA Wheel Spacers for the fronts to bring them out a bit more and gain some clearance to be on the safe side. Well with the wheel spacers installed there is a slight vibration in the steering wheel which I can't really live with.

Mind you it was 15 F outside when I swapped them out but there seems to be some slop between the inner edge of the wheel spacers and the center of the hub. I would imagine that it could cause the issues and I also noticed that you always want to install the hub centric rings for these wheels on the hub first since it could bind up and not seat correctly if left in the wheels.

It also feels like there is warpage on these wheel spacers and I'll measure them tonight. Shouldn't they be snug against the center of the hub? From what I read the angled part is inward and the outward facing is flat. Does the angled part in the center need to be facing outward or inward for a specific reason?

Last edited by Hiboost; Mar 4, 2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there should be no play on where the spacer meets the hub, usually with the 5mm spacers they don't have the lip to fit on the wheel since the stock lip still goes further out than the spacer. i'm running 10mm ichibas with no problems. try flipping the spacer and see if that remedies the problem, also make sure you torque down the lugnuts. loose lugnuts may cause vibrations also.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I vote for loose lugs... or another bonehead move it putting the rings on backwards. My BIL was helping and he put them on the wrong way.

Are you sure the rings are the right ones? You might need different ones for the spacers...
Old Mar 4, 2009, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the spacers aint flush against the hub, you don't have 5mm spacers, you have variable space spacers!

I have the same brand but bolt-on in 15mm front and rear. They came with hub centric rings. I'm probably way too careful but I make sure the spacers fit exactly right on the studs and I torque them the same as the wheel nuts, 76 ft-lb.

No vibration.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I was going to 85 ft lbs and then 90 ft lbs so they weren't loose or anything.

When you slip these over the wheel studs, they can move side to side slightly about 1mm and the center has .5mm of play. When it gets warmer this weekend I'll take another look and try flipping them since I may have put the angled side outwards, not sure if that would make a huge difference though. There are 2 sets of holes, maybe I am somehow using the wrong set? Should I be using the inner set of holes so that they barely go over the studs?

On a good note, the tires don't rub the fender well at all even at full lock, so that extra 5mm is making it touch with full tread. They don't look as aggressive but after testing clearances all seems fine without spacers.

I'm using Ichiba MT-51105 and it lists 5x114.3 and 67 center bore.