Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Who is not running TPMS Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cant decide to run the TPMS in my summer wheels or in my winter wheels... AHH! Why cant they all just have the same identification code therefore we can just buy another set of TPMS and put it in the second set of wheels... ==
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by skylinegtr35

I cant decide to run the TPMS in my summer wheels or in my winter wheels... AHH! Why cant they all just have the same identification code therefore we can just buy another set of TPMS and put it in the second set of wheels... ==

+1

What the hell was Mitsubishi thinking when they came up with their TPMS...

They really screwed the pooch with this TPMS set up.

Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DarwinX
+1

What the hell was Mitsubishi thinking when they came up with their TPMS...

They really screwed the pooch with this TPMS set up.

It's Federally mandated on all new cars so they used it as an opportunity to suck people dry on recalibration fees.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

If I take the current sensors out of my stock enkei's and place them in my new set of after-market rims; do I need to re-calibrate them when I place them in the new rims? I do believe I could take the sensors out of my stock rims if I let the air out, although I am running with run flats... Any answers would be great guys.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

So if I dont run the TPMS and the warning light is on when I go into the dealership for service... whould I get in trouble? since it is mandated...
Old Apr 14, 2009, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Good question. I'm also wondering, since the yearly inspection will be due in the summer when my summer wheels will be on without the TPMS. Would this make the car fail inspection?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

I believe it is a safety mandate for manufacturers... not consumers

Kind of like the "do not remove" tag on pillows
Old Apr 14, 2009, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

is there anyone that knows FOR SURE that a different set of TPMS need to be calibrated each time they are switched?

I know for a FACT in bmw's, you can replace them with zero calibrations and they work fine.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 03:56 PM

how bout' if you daily drive on yer stock wheels, then switch to track wheels for events, then go back to stock wheels to drive home, can you re-set the system?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 04:39 PM

Well to pass on the info from my buddy who runs a tire shop, you can use 1 set of TPMS sensors. He told me as well when you do a tire rotation it needs recalibration. What I know from my own personal use of not running the TPMS's in my winters is you can only deactivate the ASC but not the whole ASC system when you hold the ASC button.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DarwinX
5) A Bartec 400 TPMS tool update to reprogram the 2008+ Lancer TPMS won't be available until mid 2009, and the tool costs $1800
this is insane. i'll need to check, but....the fords we have at my work came WITH the calibration tool, and it looked like a key fob. how anoying!

Originally Posted by Evolutionary1
Well to pass on the info from my buddy who runs a tire shop, you can use 1 set of TPMS sensors. He told me as well when you do a tire rotation it needs recalibration. What I know from my own personal use of not running the TPMS's in my winters is you can only deactivate the ASC but not the whole ASC system when you hold the ASC button.
i've rotated my tires, no TPMS light.

what does ASC have anything to do with this?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skylinegtr35
So if I dont run the TPMS and the warning light is on when I go into the dealership for service... whould I get in trouble? since it is mandated...
I'm not running the sensors on my summer wheels/tires & brought my X in for a free oil change. There was no problem at all. My mechanic was just confused for a second & thought that one of the sensors was broken during the install. Other than that, no issues at all w/ the service people.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

^ That is good to know
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:10 AM

I was wondering if you can just put them in your spare tire and not worry about them......
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
okay, here are the facts:

the X does not have the ability to re-learn new tpms sensors on its own. It requires the car to be plugged into the MUTIII Scan tool at the dealership. If you move the sensors to different wheels, the new wheels WILL work and WONT throw any warning lights. ONLY 4 sensors can be paired to each EVO. Those same sensors can be moved to different wheels.

If you introduce 4 NEW SENSORS such as on a set of winter, or track wheels, etc. IT WILL REQUIRE A TRIP TO THE DEALER so the new sensors can be PAIRED to the car. This will erase the 4 original sensors paired to the car.

No, putting them in the spare WILL NOT WORK. The sensors work on kinetic energy. it only powers up with the motion of the wheel. Tying them to each corner of the car WILL NOT WORK. Putting them in a pressurized pipe bomb in the trunk WILL NOT WORK either.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Who is not running TPMS Sensors?