Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

may new pad brake affect the S-AWC control ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2009, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
may new pad brake affect the S-AWC control ?

Hi Guys !
I have a good question for all of you.

As you know, the car has a super-all wheel drive control. It's a intelligent control car. The car will control brakes, during hard braking (ABS) or turning fast (only the side you are turning in this case).

BUT, if you change the pad's brakes, it'll change the way its going to brake. If you have high performance brake, I guess it will brake more than it's supposed to. Don't you think the car may lose good ABS braking because it brakes too hard (on snow, dust) and may over turn during fast cornering ???

I'm looking for low dust pads but I don't trust it very well.

What is your experience about it ?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

As far as I know, and I may be wrong, it will not affect it at all. The SAWC will only brake as much as it needs to.

Just think if the brakes have degraded performance in some way like the pads are worn out you don't have to tweek the SAWC so increasing the performance should work the same way...

Any other opinions?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:16 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

If you replace the rear pads, it will affect the S-AWC engagement of the rear brakes to stabilize the car. With an more aggressive pad it might apply more braking power than usual to stabilize and cause the car to lock up the rear wheels. This is not a problem if you have the ASC completely off (hold down for 10 seconds) as it disables the rear braking for stability.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:53 AM
Evolving Member

I'm sure the brake is engaged only enough to correct the car's rotation to what the various sensors tell it...it would be stupid not to. Its going to constantly sample sensors and react accordingly. I highly, highly doubt it would "over-correct" just because you had different brakes.

verkion
P.S. Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing... :-P
Old Apr 17, 2009, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by verkion
I'm sure the brake is engaged only enough to correct the car's rotation to what the various sensors tell it...it would be stupid not to. Its going to constantly sample sensors and react accordingly. I highly, highly doubt it would "over-correct" just because you had different brakes.

verkion
P.S. Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing... :-P
I think exactly the same as you. If that were the case it would be an on/off function and it would require retweeking when you either worn out the pads/rotors, upgraded the system overall, or ran it hard and got hot it would screw it up either way...

Just stupid if Mistu did it that way...
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've swapped pads a LOT and never had any issues.

This is not a problem if you have the ASC completely off (hold down for 10 seconds) as it disables the rear braking for stability.
not quite correct.
pressing the asc button turns off the fuel cut traction control, but leaves the brake traction control on.

Holding the asc button until the dash dings and gets a thing in the hud (car on a squirrely road) turns the brake traction control off (all 4 brakes).

SAYC is always active as is AWC.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 09:26 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
I've swapped pads a LOT and never had any issues.

not quite correct.
pressing the asc button turns off the fuel cut traction control, but leaves the brake traction control on.

Holding the asc button until the dash dings and gets a thing in the hud (car on a squirrely road) turns the brake traction control off (all 4 brakes).

SAYC is always active as is AWC.
^^ What you are saying is exactly the same as what I am saying. By holding it down 10 seconds, it disables the braking control so it will not apply brakes to stabilize the car. I always have it completely off on the track. The braking assist is annoying and will not let you get the rear end rotating.

There was actually a thread on EvoM where someone replaced his rear pads and it was locking his rear wheels up on the track because it was applying rear brakes.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:45 AM
FLK
Evolved Member

The question is.. when SAYC applies the rear brakes, is it always 1/0 with no varying degree of brake pressure?

If it is 1/0 on/off only, changing the rear pads will affect SAYC and stability somewhat, but i'd also note that the stock pads will perform differently from wear level or weather.

Last edited by FLK; Apr 17, 2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:46 AM
FLK
Evolved Member

delete double post
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i have an Endless racing break pads with lines and fluids.
The pads are made for racing only, no street use.
Have no effect what so ever on the car other then superb braking force without fading .
Use the same compound pads every where, basic law for the street or light racing.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Apr 18, 2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FLK
The question is.. when SAYC applies the rear brakes, is it always 1/0 with no varying degree of brake pressure?

If it is 1/0 on/off only, changing the rear pads will affect SAYC and stability somewhat, but i'd also note that the stock pads will perform differently from wear level or weather.
S-AYC is not using the breaks. It does a TQ transfer between a rear wheels.
The S-AWC use breaks , that is why most people turn it off.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZK
^^ What you are saying is exactly the same as what I am saying. By holding it down 10 seconds, it disables the braking control so it will not apply brakes to stabilize the car. I always have it completely off on the track. The braking assist is annoying and will not let you get the rear end rotating.

There was actually a thread on EvoM where someone replaced his rear pads and it was locking his rear wheels up on the track because it was applying rear brakes.
"There was actually a thread on EvoM where someone replaced his rear pads and it was locking his rear wheels up on the track because it was applying rear brakes."

Highly unlikely situation...
The ABS wont allow to stop the wheels turning.
The Evo ABS works independently on individual wheels. Example : if your rear right wheel is on ice, and every other on dry tarmac when you are breaking, it will still wont stop turning , because the ABS.
Only way you can stop the rear wheels, if you apply the hand break, or disable the ABS. Like removing the ABS fuse.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 01:18 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
"There was actually a thread on EvoM where someone replaced his rear pads and it was locking his rear wheels up on the track because it was applying rear brakes."

Highly unlikely situation...
The ABS wont allow to stop the wheels turning.
The Evo ABS works independently on individual wheels. Example : if your rear right wheel is on ice, and every other on dry tarmac when you are breaking, it will still wont stop turning , because the ABS.
Only way you can stop the rear wheels, if you apply the hand break, or disable the ABS. Like removing the ABS fuse.
Well, it was said and there was much discussion on this topic before.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 01:44 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Here's the post:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/5468668-post7.html

I would definitely hold off on BBK for EVO, I've used some project mu pads for track, and it does interfere with the awd system. Maybe some street pads will be ok, but with full track pads, it's too aggresive and locks up the rears when the SAWC brakes one side.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:41 PM

very thanks,

I'm looking for steet pads, but I don't know which one yet !!!!!

I'm searching for many opinion here !

Quick Reply: may new pad brake affect the S-AWC control ?