Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

MR Bilstein vs GSR KYB

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR Bilstein vs GSR KYB

How does these 2 compare? Is it worth it to get the Bilsteins w/ Swift Springs if I dont plan on getting coilovers? Or is the KYB just fine?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

If you plan to get new struts, get the full coilovers, so the strut is matched for the springs. They will last longer. If you just want to lower it get lowering springs but your struts wont last very long.
IMO if you do any coil/strut mods, get full coilovers they will last longer and you wont regret the purchase later on. No point in going half way and getting lowering springs. Its way better when you get matching coil and strut. You dont need the 3 way adjustables if you dont track your car.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Red Dragon
If you plan to get new struts, get the full coilovers, so the strut is matched for the springs. They will last longer. If you just want to lower it get lowering springs but your struts wont last very long.
IMO if you do any coil/strut mods, get full coilovers they will last longer and you wont regret the purchase later on. No point in going half way and getting lowering springs. Its way better when you get matching coil and strut. You dont need the 3 way adjustables if you dont track your car.
Except most coilovers are made with struts pulled off the shelf often with arbitrary spring rates from other applications. The idea that full coilovers are somehow magically mated to each other from the factory is just magazine marketing.

Plus, you can get a set of MR Bilsteins and get them revalved to your specifications, pick your spring rates, and end up with a better handling car on more reliable struts than the majority of these full coilover setups at a substantially cheaper price.

Frankly, if you don't track your car, you don't really have any reason to be modifying your suspension at all.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

What are you rocking Mr OT man?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

???

I dont think you guys get the question. I'm asking about the difference between the Stock GSR struts (KYB..I think) vs the stock MR struts (Bilsteins). Lets not get into coil overs. I plan on getting Swift springs and would like to know if its worth it to buy stock MR Bilstein struts or to just stick my with stock gsr struts...

and who is Mr.OT man? lol
Old Apr 21, 2009, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mj23foreva
???

I dont think you guys get the question. I'm asking about the difference between the Stock GSR struts (KYB..I think) vs the stock MR struts (Bilsteins). Lets not get into coil overs. I plan on getting Swift springs and would like to know if its worth it to buy stock MR Bilstein struts or to just stick my with stock gsr struts...

and who is Mr.OT man? lol
just stick with your gsr struts. strictly speaking, yes, you can revalve the mr bilsteins to match your springs specs, and the eibach/bilstein combo that comes with the mr has a slightly different spring/load rate than the gsr's kyb/oem spring combo. but think about the people that makes the springs - they put r&d into it to work with stock stuff; they expect people out there will put it on the stock struts. it's not optimal, depending on r&d, but it has to work for people to keep buying.

and to counter whoever that said coilovers are the way to go - ksports are the worst coilovers you can get, and they are not matched. it's impossible with their way of reusing shocks/valves/housing. just goes to show it's all in the r&d.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i was in this dilemma as soon as the MR came out and saw the bilsteins. there were a few that were sold here that i thought were priced pretty good but i still didnt pull the trigger on them.

i have come to the conclusion that since the car is a DD and with brand new struts there was no point in getting the bilsteins, maybe 3 or 4 years down the road once i have fully utilized the kyb struts. so for now i am just wanting to get swifts springs to lower the stance. so while the bilsteins might be superior than the kyb, for now the kyb will do its job and do it well.

in a nutshell just like with any other mods, you have to ask yourself what is the purpose of this mod and take it from there.

Last edited by beetle_orange; Apr 21, 2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Well I'm not sure what you're trying to do but changing out the springs will stiffen the ride some. I have the Swifts and it is noticeably stiffer. I don't think it's bad at all but that's me. I feel the bumps more and it does have less body roll. It's a nice compromise.

If you're unhappy with the way the car rides right now, then I don't think Bilsteins are the answer - you need a different car. If you're ok with it, then the KYBs will be fine.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:50 PM

Get the Bilsteins. They are superior and cost more, that's why they are on the MRs. When matched to lowering springs, I think they will last longer than KYBs (I'm counting on that since I have it on Works springs).
Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lowkey
Get the Bilsteins. They are superior and cost more, that's why they are on the MRs. When matched to lowering springs, I think they will last longer than KYBs (I'm counting on that since I have it on Works springs).
perhaps under track conditions. but you're talking about a mere 1 inch drop; any strut can give an extra inch without problems i believe, when it comes to DD.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Except most coilovers are made with struts pulled off the shelf often with arbitrary spring rates from other applications. The idea that full coilovers are somehow magically mated to each other from the factory is just magazine marketing.

Plus, you can get a set of MR Bilsteins and get them revalved to your specifications, pick your spring rates, and end up with a better handling car on more reliable struts than the majority of these full coilover setups at a substantially cheaper price.

Frankly, if you don't track your car, you don't really have any reason to be modifying your suspension at all.
I was with you until you made the comment about not modding the suspension without track use. What's the point of modding at all if it's only used on the track. Plus if daily drivability is your point then why not have adjustable struts for comfort versus performance when needed. I say if it's street legal then do it to it.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrMeaner
What's the point of modding at all if it's only used on the track.
I agree with this sentiment. Why waste endless amounts of money on parts so you can go get groceries when the car is already far too fast for the street from the factory?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:34 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would wait until some shocks or struts get produced for this platform. Not everyone wants full coilovers.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 04:19 AM

What's the point of modding at all if it's only used on the track.

With that logic anybody who doesn't use their car on the track should be driving a 10 year old beater car. Afterall who needs an even a stock evo's performance on the street. It doesn't matter if you track your car or not....what matters is you make your pride and joy evo into what you desire, whether that's the show route, or the performance route, or just plain stock, do what brings you happiness with your car. I really like the look of a lowered evo, and by the way if I didn't like the look of an evo in the first place I would not have bought one...so if you think lowering it makes it look even better..do it, it doesn't matter if you track it or not. For those who track your car, you do it because that's what brings you happiness, respect and allow others to do what brings them happiness. Everyone has to do what's right for them, not what what you think is right for them.

Ok I'll get off my soap box now.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are a few threads on this--but the ride on the bilsteins with the swift spring is 10,000 times better then the kyb set up.. swift springs if I am not mistaken are maybe 10% stiffer then stock--the ride is much smoother and not so choppy..Makes my DD a real pleasure to drive now. As for modding the suspension only if you track your car...well, no. If you want to add some stability --add a rear bar as well, that will add the spring rates and firm the ride a little more and take some of the roll out of the chassis in turns...also another nice adder..Then, maybe some bushings.. I have them all and they work great without degrading the ride.

Quick Reply: MR Bilstein vs GSR KYB