Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Recommended tires?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2009, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommended tires?

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some decent tires that are much quieter than the stock advans, same size as the stock tires, decent in all weather, has decent grip when I feel like going to the road course for a couple of laps and can last longer than 10k-12k miles, lol. That is if there is such a tire.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

As I can remember, most people here would recommend Dunlop Z1 Star Specs.
I think they are not all that quiet but has a really good grip and good for all around..
Thats what i read on these forums.

I have used Toyos FZ1, and I really liked them too..
But I suppose Dunlos are better, since most people recommend them
Old Apr 22, 2009, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Never noticed the stock advans being noisy....

Don't think the Z1's will last the mileage you are looking for. BFG Gforce Sport will last the miles but is a serious step down in dry performance. I did a 2 day track day at road atlanta on the gforce sports in my VIII and still got about 30k miles out of them. I think skip barber uses the gforce sport on most of their student cars because they are very predictable and consistent, at least thats what i was told by Gran Turismo East.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

good year eagle f1's
Old Apr 22, 2009, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No such tire exists.

Well maybe the unicorn factory makes them, but I hear the export restrictions are pretty tough from Narnia.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 07:45 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like the Falken Azenis RT615's. Really a great tire. The has good to very good performance.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

how about yokohama advan neova?
Old Apr 22, 2009, 07:59 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by skyblas
how about yokohama advan neova?
Yes only cost a arm and a leg...
Old Apr 22, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
Never noticed the stock advans being noisy....

Don't think the Z1's will last the mileage you are looking for. BFG Gforce Sport will last the miles but is a serious step down in dry performance. I did a 2 day track day at road atlanta on the gforce sports in my VIII and still got about 30k miles out of them. I think skip barber uses the gforce sport on most of their student cars because they are very predictable and consistent, at least thats what i was told by Gran Turismo East.
Stock advans are pretty noisy. you got 30 000 miles from a summer tire? in addition you tracked it twice? I don't know how on earth those tires, or any tires, can last that long.
even on a normal car with smooth driving, I really have not gone close to 30,000km w/o a tire change. I guess my next tires are BFG Gforce sports!
Old Apr 22, 2009, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about tracking them, but My Yokohama S.drives are great..very quiet, should last twice as long as the stockers and 90%-95% as agile in my purely street driving experience.....oh, and they are roughly $155 from Tirerack
Old Apr 22, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The s-drive isn't in the same class as the stock tire, star spec or NT-05.

It's about 1/2 the performance IMO.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 08:55 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
I don't know about tracking them, but My Yokohama S.drives are great..very quiet, should last twice as long as the stockers and 90%-95% as agile in my purely street driving experience.....oh, and they are roughly $155 from Tirerack
I used to have the S Drives on my tC. I have to say they lasted about 35k miles with heavy driving and still had some left.

However, it is a all-season tire. It doesn't even compare to the stock summer tire.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:09 AM

You are asking for a lot, but here are my suggestions:

Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec (personal favorite )
-or-
Kumho XS
-or-
Bridgestone RE-11

The Dunlops are pretty quiet in my opinion, but then again I also never thought the stock Advans were noisy. Worst tires I have owned in regards to road noise were BFG GeForce KDW2's. If you want a performance tire, a little road noise is something you may have to live with.

Also I would avoid anything with tread wear higher than 200 if you plan to do any track events. Once you get past 200 most of the tire wear ratings jump to the 280+ tread wear, and while these are often still called high performance tires, they offer significantly less performance than the stock Yokohamas.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

You're asking for a lot from a tire.

I still have the stock Advans on, but once they wear out, I'm going to go with the Bridgestone RE-11. Just got a set for my M3, for driving back and forth from the track (and, in a pinch, a rain tire) and I really like them.

--michael
Old Apr 23, 2009, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Well maybe the unicorn factory makes them, but I hear the export restrictions are pretty tough from Narnia.
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I knew I was asking for a lot but wanted to see what I could actually get.

I don't like unicorns so I won't be getting any from them. However, I will ask the child like princess in the ivory tower what she has in the warehouse. I hear if I mention Falcore's name she usually gives a big discount.