Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Anyone know about Konig Swurve wheels?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2009, 09:30 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evoatcha
I ran some 17x9.5 Enkei NT03+M wheels on my Evo VIII and I liked them. I could get some 18x9.5 Enkei NT03+Ms for $268 each but I think they weigh at least 24 pounds each. I'm a big fan of reducing unsprung rotational weight, and that means lightweight wheels and rotors. The superlight 20 pound weight of the Konig Swurves has me intrigued, and my buddy at the tire shop is offering a very generous return policy, so I just might try them out, since I have nothing to lose. I'll be sure to let you guys know how they work out.

By the way, y'all say you hate the Konigs so much, but I'm still waiting for somebody to recommend a different 18x9.5 wheel that weighs less than 21 pounds and costs less than $200. Put your info where your mouth is! ;o)
Light weight isn't everything. You have to consider rigidity as well.

Here is a quote from an Option Magazine test on light weight vs. rigidity from a few years ago-

Quoted from Original Made-

"Regular High Rigidity Enkei GTC-01 18×10 +22: 23.76 lbs.
Specially Lightened Version Enkei GTC-01 18×10 +22: 19.8 lbs.

The weight of the lightened version was reduced by 3.96 lbs. Both used Advan A048 (265/35-18 M-Compound). Testing was performed at Ebisu East Circuit using MCR’s Z33 driven by Kobayashi and under the same specs (ie., tire pressure, # of laps, etc.)

Regular High Rigidity GTC-01
Best Lap: 1 min. 4.646 seconds
Top Speed: 147.16 km/h @ 17.83 seconds

Specially Lightened GTC-01
Best Lap: 1 min. 5.045 seconds
Top Speed: 141.46 km/h @ 17.74 seconds

A very rough and quick recap: The surface temperature of the tires for the less rigid, specially lightened GTC-01 were higher overall with extensive wear on the outer portion while not enough contact/usage on the inner portion. The high rigidity regular version GTC-01 showed even usage throughout the inner and outer parts of the tire. Also, the low rigidity, lightweight version wheels gave/bent when taking aggressive high speed turns even affecting the height of the car which even led to scraping and alignment problems. Furthermore, the lighter version accelerated much quicker, but ultimately did not lead to faster times. In summary, Kobayashi expressed that a balanced wheel with both rigidity and lightweight characteristics is important, but he never imagined that the effects of rigidity played such a large role."

Last edited by EvolvedVIII; Apr 29, 2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Haha, i guess with everybody not directly answering your question about wheel quality and all that, you indirectly got your answer. We dont really know as much about these wheels as we do the others out there because at this level of cars those wheels are not relevant. Do yourself a favor and get a used set of legit wheels. You say you want wider wheels for use at the track, then get a wider, lighter, stronger and more reputable brand of wheel.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Wow just seen the design! +1 for hideous
Old May 4, 2009, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If something's too good to be true, it's probably false. I had a chance to inspect these wheels when they came in at Discount Tire the other day. The info from Konig was indeed false. The Swurves actually weigh 24.5 pounds each. The finish was not high quality, with one or two blemishes on each wheel, even though they were brand new just out of the box. Whether you think they're ugly or beautiful really doesn't matter. The important point is these wheels are heavy and poor quality.
Old May 4, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Ok you got me, they are heavy, poor quality, and still ugly....
Old May 4, 2009, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evoatcha
I ran some 17x9.5 Enkei NT03+M wheels on my Evo VIII and I liked them. I could get some 18x9.5 Enkei NT03+Ms for $268 each but I think they weigh at least 24 pounds each. I'm a big fan of reducing unsprung rotational weight, and that means lightweight wheels and rotors. The superlight 20 pound weight of the Konig Swurves has me intrigued, and my buddy at the tire shop is offering a very generous return policy, so I just might try them out, since I have nothing to lose. I'll be sure to let you guys know how they work out.

By the way, y'all say you hate the Konigs so much, but I'm still waiting for somebody to recommend a different 18x9.5 wheel that weighs less than 21 pounds and costs less than $200. Put your info where your mouth is! ;o)

Actually the NT-03m in 18x9.5 is 19.9 pounds per wheel, but it requires a spacer in the front. The Enkei RPF-1 is 19.8.

Yes, both are around $250-260 each, however they are vastly superior to anything that Konig makes from a quality perspective.

As an older guy, I figure you'd have figured out that rarely is the cheapest option the best. I think that buying those Konigs, in the pursuit of lightweight will be a poor choice.

Also, according to 1010tire, the 18x9.5 Swurve is 22.5 pounds (which is the weight of the stock Enkie). Looking at the picture, I'm guessing that it will NOT clear the brake calipers.

You're other option is the Rota DPT, which is around 19-20# and is likely in the $950-1000/set price range (shipped).
Old May 4, 2009, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Actually the NT-03m in 18x9.5 is 19.9 pounds per wheel, but it requires a spacer in the front. The Enkei RPF-1 is 19.8.

Yes, both are around $250-260 each, however they are vastly superior to anything that Konig makes from a quality perspective.

As an older guy, I figure you'd have figured out that rarely is the cheapest option the best. I think that buying those Konigs, in the pursuit of lightweight will be a poor choice.

Also, according to 1010tire, the 18x9.5 Swurve is 22.5 pounds (which is the weight of the stock Enkie). Looking at the picture, I'm guessing that it will NOT clear the brake calipers.

You're other option is the Rota DPT, which is around 19-20# and is likely in the $950-1000/set price range (shipped).
Thanks for the good info. Are you getting those Enkei wheel weights from 1010tires or your own scale? I personally weighed the Swurve on a usually accurate digital scale and it's 24.5 pounds, so the 1010tire claim of 22.5 is not correct.

I like your specific numbers for the Enkei wheel weights. Nice to know the 18x9.5s are only 19.9 pounds, if that number is correct.

In case it wasn't clear from my post above, I'm not buying the Swurves.

And no, light weight is not my only consideration. Rigidity is important too, but most important is good value for the money. I'm still looking for the best of that.
Old May 4, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My weights are from the manufacturer:
http://www.enkei.com/RacingSeriesSpecs/RPF1.html

http://www.enkei.com/RacingSeriesSpecs/NTO3+M.html

FWIW, my 18x10.5 RPF-1's are 19 pounds (measured on my scale at home).
Old May 4, 2009, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, that Konig Swurve weight of 20.3 was direct from Konig as well, so I don't trust Konig any more. Maybe Enkei is more honest and accurate when listing their wheel weights.
Old May 4, 2009, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

250 per wheel is not expensive, considering the car that we have, we don't have a ferrari, however, it's not a Yugo or Civic.

An Enkei lightweight wheel at 250 per wheel, to me.....that is a good purchase for the money. Wheel is built strong, lightweight, and yes of course, we all want something that will look good.........

I had 19x10 RPF1's with the SBC finish on my g35 coupe a few years back and never regretted the purchase. After two years, they still looked brank new out of the box. <---- another plus
Old May 4, 2009, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, as I mentioned I was very happy with the 17x9.5 Enkei NT03+Ms on my Evo VIII. I might buy the 18x9.5s for my X.

Now I'm also considering 18x9 wheels. I was thinking I needed 9.5" wide wheels to comfortably fit the 265/35 Nitto NT-05s but apparently they fit fine on a 9" wide wheel also. Anyone agree or disagree with that? I really appreciate your informed opinions, guys. Thanks.
Old May 9, 2009, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

I have Advan RZ in 18x9 and they are very strong, light and look awesome. While they aren't that cheap, not a bad investment if you are looking at some 18x9s... If not, I agree with Goofy, if you have to go cheap the either some Enkeis or Rota DPT looks is a nice bet for 18x9.5.

The Konigs hurt my eyes to look at it. It makes me cry when I see people put wheels like a Konig on expensive cars, their designs are wacky to me.