Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Running stock tires inside-out?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2009, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running stock tires inside-out?

Has anyone mounted and run the stock tires inside-out? I have a set of stockers that are about half used up (all track time). The outside shoulders are pretty beat, but inside is fine. I know the tires are directional, but I'm wondering what ill effects I'd get by reversing them to get me through the rest of this season (again, most wear will be at the track). The tires aren't mounted now, so i need to mount them anyway.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old Jul 9, 2009, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually the stock tires on the X are NOT directional (they were on the VIII/IX).

Check the tires and see if they have an "outside" marker on them (I don't remember them having this). If they don't then it's perfectly fine to flip them.

If they do, then it's likely still fine to do this. Typically the tires that can't be flipped are that way for water/ice removal (different pattern on the outside and inside).
Old Jul 9, 2009, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Actually the stock tires on the X are NOT directional (they were on the VIII/IX).

Check the tires and see if they have an "outside" marker on them (I don't remember them having this). If they don't then it's perfectly fine to flip them.

If they do, then it's likely still fine to do this. Typically the tires that can't be flipped are that way for water/ice removal (different pattern on the outside and inside).

Yeah, they are marked 'outside', so I guess I was wondering if the outside sidewall was stiffer or something. Tread patern doesn't concern me much, as it will be gone in a few hours at the track. Just didn't want any adverse handling.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

handling is likely negligible, it's typically just for water removal... If you're going to be killing them on the track, don't worry about it

ETA: a tire with different sidewall stiffness would never fly, so that's not the issue.

From Tirerack:
Asymmetric Tread Patterns
An asymmetric pattern is designed to blend the requirements of dry grip and water dispersal/snow traction where the tread pattern changes across the face of the tire. An asymmetric tread pattern usually incorporates larger tread ribs/blocks on the outboard side to increase cornering stability on dry roads by offering greater contact area. This also helps to reduce tread squirm and heat buildup on the outside shoulder. The inboard side usually features smaller independent tread blocks to aid wet and/or winter traction when driving straight ahead. Tires featuring asymmetric tread patterns allow using multiple tire rotation patterns.

Last edited by goofygrin; Jul 9, 2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 10:42 PM

Take them to a tire shop and have them flip them on the rim. You'll be good to go the rest of the season!
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Locked
Take them to a tire shop and have them flip them on the rim. You'll be good to go the rest of the season!
yup, should run you about $15 a wheel?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

$5-10 if you know the right person. If you do a lot of tires (like track tires) make friends