Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need winter tires that fit stock rims

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2009, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need winter tires that fit stock rims

I have 08 GSR,

in a few months i will need some winter tires to put on my stock rims.

Any advice on a good winter tire that would fit stock rims? I will need a good winter tire to deal with lots of snow/ice (new england)

I was then going to get new rims in the spring to put the stock yokohama summer tires on.. Probably get rota's...

Will i need to get additional TPMS devices for new rims? or does the evo x not 'complain' if there are no sensors?

Thank you

Last edited by pd9000; Jul 31, 2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a bunch of threads on this, but the Dunlop Winter Sports typically get good reviews. I have them on both my cars, and they do great in Ohio winters. I'll buy them again when they wear out. Other contenders are Yoko XDrives and Blizzak LM25s, which both get positive mentions.

I think most of the tires in the stock size are going to be "performance" winters, so you'll lose some snow and especially ice performance for improved wet/dry performance.

The TPMS system will complain if you don't have sensors, but you can ignore it if you can handle how annoying it is. If you do get a second set of sensors, you have to have Mitsubishi re-pair them every time you swap wheels to the tune of something like $80.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

I had some Dunlop Wintersport 3D's on my Evo in 235/40/18 this past winter. Amazing tire.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

A lot of people seem to run the Blizzak's.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Blizzak LM ftw!
Old Aug 3, 2009, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Dunlops...get the Dunlops!!!!
Old Aug 3, 2009, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Any decent brand mud and snow tire will suffice. I've run the Blizzaks, Dunlops, Pirellis, and they all perform well.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

I am currently on PA3's. I dunno about the other tires but the sidewall is definitely softer on these. I went through costco for the full package after my stock tires wore out last november. As far as grip is concerned, it was noticeably better than the stocks (duh!) on cold days in Philly. same goes for snow (about 6 inches). I remember some days on my way to work when I saw vehicles all thrown around, especially near freeway rams, and there I was, just waving at them. But seriously, the PA3s are definitely good, just dunno if they are the best. I really wanted the dunlop 3D, but the costco deal was too good to be passed.

Last edited by CatalystGod; Aug 3, 2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 05:56 AM

nokian hakka's w/ studs.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

The X-Ice Xi2 is Michelin's Studless Ice and Snow winter tire developed for the drivers of coupes, sedans and family vans that want to combine enhanced ice and snow traction with predictable wet and dry road handling. The X-Ice Xi2 is designed to tackle the coldest winter driving conditions around the world.

Michelin's FleX-Ice silica-based winter tread rubber compound (offers firmness at higher temperatures for wet and dry road stability while it remains flexible at lower temperatures to enhance packed snow and ice traction) is molded into a directional tread design that helps evacuate water and slush to improve hydroplaning resistance. Independent shoulder and intermediate tread blocks feature a combination of multiple micro-pumps and Cross Z-Sipes to deliver traction on ice- and snow-covered roads. Additionally, the Cross Z-Sipes increase tread and shoulder block stability to provide the lateral and longitudinal stiffness that enhances driving precision on dry and wet roads. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced by a spirally wound nylon to optimize the tire profile while enhancing high-speed capability.

Michelin X-Ice Xi2 winter tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol.

NOTE: Snow platform indicators (the equivalent of “snow wear bars”) are molded into the X-Ice Xi2's tread grooves to inform the driver when ice and snow traction will be reduced as the tire's tread wear reaches the point where the remaining tread depth becomes less effective in deep snow.

Install X-Ice Xi2 tires in sets of four only.

Due to the traction capabilities of the X-Ice Xi2, Michelin recommends using X-Ice Xi2 tires in sets of four to provide the best handling characteristics and tire performance.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 07:39 PM

Had a set of the nokian hakkapeliitta Q's without the studs. Best snow tire I've ever had, hands down.

Originally Posted by contagius
nokian hakka's w/ studs.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by F1312T4
Had a set of the nokian hakkapeliitta Q's without the studs. Best snow tire I've ever had, hands down.
I got the Hakka 4's with studs. My car will climb trees in the winter if I want it to. tha nokian Hakkapeliitas are the best winter tires made. They are all I will buy for the cold months anymore.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Blizzaks severe duty are just amazing! I have had mine on for three Winters and they grip like crazy and NEVER seem to wear! Worth every dollar!
Old Aug 6, 2009, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dboz
Why copy/paste generic corporate boilerplate into a discussion? At least provide some meaningful comment.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

As for your question on the TPMS sensors, you may refer to my recent posting/thread on the issue.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...late-09-a.html

Quick Reply: Need winter tires that fit stock rims