Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Alignment question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2009, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment question

I've been reading old threads about this and want to just ask a simple question:

When going in to get an alignment at a shop, is the only thing they are able to change the toe?

I've been reading that the caster/camber are not adjustable (other than the flipping of the nut method for camber). I just want to be sure because I've lowered my car and went in to several shops who either say the car is too low to get an alignment or the only thing they can adjust is the toe. I was looking at getting the Firestone alignment for life deal, but had second thoughts after they told me they could only adjust the toe.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
how did you get lowered? if you have camber plates they can adjust those.

Otherwise, in the front, there is no camber adjustment in the front (other than the flipping the bolt method you describe)
Old Aug 24, 2009, 06:18 PM

Swift Springs, no camber plates.

So what you're saying is "yes" to my question?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 09:09 AM

Can anyone who lowered on springs and went to a national chain store for an alignment comment on what was actually adjusted, or what the tech's told them?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

in the front, toe is the only thing most people will be able to adjust.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 09:31 AM

So in the front, the toe is adjustable and nothing else.
In the rear, the toe AND camber are adjustable.

This clears it up, thank you!

When I went in to Firestone, all that came up in their system was that they could adjust the toe. They didn't have any data on what the camber/caster settings were for stock front or rear. I guess I'll just have to take a printout of what the stock specs are and see how close they can get them for the rear.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

You can get a "free" -1*+ of camber in the front by removing the wheel, removing the top strut bolt, and flipping it such that the white dot of paint on it points away from the strut (this is the same on the 8 and 9). You will need an alignment after you do this since it will make the toe change.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...fications.html

^ that sticky is really helpful.

Got my Eibach Prokit from Evasive Motorsports. They installed the spings and aligned it as well.

-2 all around, no camber plates.

Firestone

edit:

there's actually a pdf document floating around here with a diagram on camber settings.

Last edited by Gardo_Segovia; Aug 25, 2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: .pdf document
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:09 AM

I don't know of any performance shops in Denver that can perform an alignment, so short of doing it myself, this is the next option.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

^ darn

If Firestone cant even adjust the camber settings, I dont see the point of going. You might as well adjust it yourself.

Page two of the sticky thread, someone has a DIY instructions. goodluck, sir.

question is, would it better to adjust the camber settings yourself before going to Firestone? [Firestone for toe settings only] or is it the other way around?!
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:34 AM

Well, I think since the data in their systems only had toe settings, they assumed they couldn't change front or rear camber, when in reality from what I've been reading, they can change the camber on the rear. So all they would be adjusting is the front and rear toe, and the rear camber. Nothing else.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

^ I meant, would you adjust the camber before or after toe has been adjusted
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:49 AM

After lowering, it visably looks like I have negative camber, so I don't think I'll be adding more to the front by flipping that nut unless I find that my new wheels rub (which they shouldn't).

And adjusting the camber affects the toe, so I would assume they would adjust the camber in the rear before adjusting the toe.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cool_g_83
Can anyone who lowered on springs and went to a national chain store for an alignment comment on what was actually adjusted, or what the tech's told them?
I have the SWIFT Sport Machs and just recently had it aligned at Firestone (Havana and Mississippi in Aurora.) I'll post up the alignment report they gave me later today when I can.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know of any performance shops in Denver that can perform an alignment, so short of doing it myself, this is the next option.
Also, the alignment question came up on Colorado Evo and someone recommended the Firestone off Broadway in Denver, which is owned or managed (can't remember which) by a guy with a modified STi who knows what he's doing.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

After lowering, it visably looks like I have negative camber, so I don't think I'll be adding more to the front by flipping that nut unless I find that my new wheels rub (which they shouldn't).

And adjusting the camber affects the toe, so I would assume they would adjust the camber in the rear before adjusting the toe.

This is correct.

And if you just got lowered, go get aligned or you'll be buying new tires too.

The process is:

Rear, adjust camber
Rear, adjust toe
Front, adjust toe

When they get under the car in the rear, they'll see both the camber and toe adjustment eccentrics. If they don't then they're blind.

Quick Reply: Alignment question