Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Pop noise from front driver side

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pop noise from front driver side

so, ever since the front sway bar install, i've been getting this pop noise on turns. it won't happen all the time, but it happens most often when i'm making a turn into a ramp. i would turn the steering wheel, and as the front wheel hits the ramp, there is a loud "pop" sound, and i can actually feel it on my foot. i can also regenerate the sound if i make a hard turn slowly (on high speeds it's not there). this only happens on the front driver side and nowhere else. the sway bar was retightened, but that didn't fix it. anyone have an idea on what it is?
Old Oct 1, 2009, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

CV joint most likely. I have some doubts about mine and will check this soon. There is an odd filing in the steering wheel at low speed and I think it's the CV joint. I will post any findings.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by toshibakoludo
CV joint most likely. I have some doubts about mine and will check this soon. There is an odd filing in the steering wheel at low speed and I think it's the CV joint. I will post any findings.
hm what is this filing you speak of?

i heard about the cv joint problem. but last i remember, someone replaced it, only to have the noise come back. so i don't know what's with that.

and dammit i hope it's not. i bet they won't honor my warranty now that it's been tuned.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:12 PM

Any update on this?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rallyredX
Any update on this?

+1

Was it the CV?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

nope...there was no leak on the cv joint. but it was getting louder by the day. now it's just constant. a popping noise whenever i go over bumps. considering the moving parts during that time, i'm really not certain what it is at this point, as i have yet to do anything more than checking the cv.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:29 AM

Did you try re greasing and re tightening you front swaybar?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rallyredX
Did you try re greasing and re tightening you front swaybar?
yeah. twice already.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:48 PM
Account Disabled

I'm getting this pop as well... I get it when I turn the wheel. it happens every time going counter clockwise and every so often going clockwise. its getting louder as well.

Its getting frustrating as well since every time I take it to the dealer they say they've re torqued the front end and they couldn't find anything wrong.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Have you checked your sway bar end links for play? Or could they be bent just slightly? Compare both sides. Also check the bushings. Let us know what you find by getting under their and pulling on things. Also try tightening the bolts. I would suggest doing it with the car on ramps so the suspension is still under load (as opposed to raised in the air on jack stands).
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
hm what is this filing you speak of?

i heard about the cv joint problem. but last i remember, someone replaced it, only to have the noise come back. so i don't know what's with that.

and dammit i hope it's not. i bet they won't honor my warranty now that it's been tuned.
I agree with Endgame. On my old car the CV joints always made a popping noise when when I turned or hit a bump regardless the size.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

By the inside of each front swaybar bushing, put an appropriately sized worm clamp and report back. Whitelines are known to "walk" on STis since they don't have washer tabs built into them to ensure proper location of the bar.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LaXGSR
Have you checked your sway bar end links for play? Or could they be bent just slightly? Compare both sides. Also check the bushings. Let us know what you find by getting under their and pulling on things. Also try tightening the bolts. I would suggest doing it with the car on ramps so the suspension is still under load (as opposed to raised in the air on jack stands).
i was thinking of the same thing. gonna check it today since i got time to burn
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

just checked end links. perfectly fine. checked cv boots, all ok. checked strut, ok. checked sway bar for play, none found (to my knowledge).

and i think i jinxed myself because it's even louder now

guess i'll take it to hbspeed or something, because at this point i'm completely lost.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

probably your springs.

Quick Reply: Pop noise from front driver side