Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Mitsu's S-AWC, Subaru's Symmetrical system, Audi's, etc...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitsu's S-AWC, Subaru's Symmetrical system, Audi's, etc...

Is the Evo's the best one out there? I know a bunch of car companies have these types of systems... are they all basically the same?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been working in Audi in Korea for couple years before I came to the states

As far as I know the S-AWC that Mitshu came out with on the EVO is somewhat the latest generation of all wheel drive system. Audi's latest AWD system will be out with the new B8 S4's. The upgraded feature is torque couldn't be moved side ways (from left wheel to right wheel) only could be distributed from Front to Rear wheels.

Big difference is Mitsu's S-AWC is electronically controlled AWD and AUDI is I'm not too sure which words to use but mechanially controlled AWD.

Hope it helped your understanding a little bit..
Old Oct 8, 2009, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

i like subaru's AWD set up much better, symmetrical has equal cv joints, thus no torque steer, the lay out is much easier to work on,
Old Oct 8, 2009, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by solarevo
i like subaru's AWD set up much better, symmetrical has equal cv joints, thus no torque steer, the lay out is much easier to work on,
You're having torque steer issues on your X?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Easier to work on < Better performance
Old Oct 8, 2009, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BigT
Easier to work on < Better performance
That may be one of those "in theory" statements.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
the most productive or successful is the S-AWC from Mitsubishi.
Why?
Because by plane numbers /engineering point of view/ most of the time against lighter - more powerful- better shaped- better weight distribution - better gear ratios car can not get away from the mighty evo AWD system.
And this is just one point of view. The other one which is just as big then the first one, usually the most easiest car to drive vs the competitions.

So what else you can actually want form the AWD system to being prove the best?

Rob
Old Oct 8, 2009, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fans of the other systems will tout the symmetrical or more traditional layouts of systems from Nissan, Audi and Subaru because they are RWD based cars with FWD added to make AWD. Mitsubishi starts with a FWD economy car layout and adds the RWD. Most other cars that use a FWD biased layout like Audi and Volvo for instance, aren't known for their handling prowess. However Mitsu uses this layout to great success and Evo has all the accolades to prove it. It has the world's premier AWD system.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 01:39 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GPTourer
Fans of the other systems will tout the symmetrical or more traditional layouts of systems from Nissan, Audi and Subaru because they are RWD based cars with FWD added to make AWD. Mitsubishi starts with a FWD economy car layout and adds the RWD. Most other cars that use a FWD biased layout like Audi and Volvo for instance, aren't known for their handling prowess. However Mitsu uses this layout to great success and Evo has all the accolades to prove it. It has the world's premier AWD system.
The current EVO X, is the the first EVO to have its AWD System designed from the ground up. So they did not start with FWD or RWD, they started with building a entire new system.

Thus it is superior to the EVO VII,VIII,IX systems.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

I'm so confused
Old Oct 10, 2009, 02:54 PM

Actually as far as I know Audi's new generation AWD is biased to the rear of 40:60 ratio
It use to be 50:50 ratop

Subaru's AWD is Front biased AWD not to sure about the ratio but i believe up til 07 Sti it was close to 60:40

These days lot of AWD are Rear biased to give a bit of more sporty handling feature like RWD cars

Electronic VS Mechinical AWD

Electronic is lighter compare to Mechanical however it has 0.1 sec of response time where mechanical doesn't have that pause for the system to kick in. Electronic can have errors in programming to cause break down and needs to be checked in long term, mechanical is trouble free specially for Audi's
However both systems are almost equal its just personal preference.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
The current EVO X, is the the first EVO to have its AWD System designed from the ground up. So they did not start with FWD or RWD, they started with building a entire new system.

Thus it is superior to the EVO VII,VIII,IX systems.
Dang....you had to say it, din't ya? waiting for the $hit-storm to start...
Anytime now...
Old Oct 10, 2009, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yunwoolee
Actually as far as I know Audi's new generation AWD is biased to the rear of 40:60 ratio
It use to be 50:50 ratop

Subaru's AWD is Front biased AWD not to sure about the ratio but i believe up til 07 Sti it was close to 60:40

These days lot of AWD are Rear biased to give a bit of more sporty handling feature like RWD cars

Electronic VS Mechinical AWD

Electronic is lighter compare to Mechanical however it has 0.1 sec of response time where mechanical doesn't have that pause for the system to kick in. Electronic can have errors in programming to cause break down and needs to be checked in long term, mechanical is trouble free specially for Audi's
However both systems are almost equal its just personal preference.
I think the new STIs might be rear biased actually, not too sure though.

EDIT: Found this:

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...ancer_evo.html

According to this, the evo is 60:40 F/R and the STI is 40:60 F/R

Last edited by CatalystGod; Oct 10, 2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 08:42 PM

I have owned an 05 Sti, 06 Evo IX SE, and now a Evo X and my Evo has by far the best handling out of any of my rides so whatever Mitsu did with it for the X it is amazing in my opinion. Just my .02
Old Oct 10, 2009, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MuLo_MS
I have owned an 05 Sti, 06 Evo IX SE, and now a Evo X and my Evo has by far the best handling out of any of my rides so whatever Mitsu did with it for the X it is amazing in my opinion. Just my .02
Yeah, my old IX RS handled great, but you could feel it more as far as a little bit of a I guess skating feeling maybe? The X has none of it... you just point and shoot. It depends on the feeling you like the most though. No matter which car it was though, I have a safe feeling knowing that if something happens in front of me, I turn and it goes there without hesitation and without worry of losing control.

Quick Reply: Mitsu's S-AWC, Subaru's Symmetrical system, Audi's, etc...