Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Mitsu's S-AWC, Subaru's Symmetrical system, Audi's, etc...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
After driving the 06 sti, current sti, evo ix + upgraded rear diff, and evo x, i have to say i honestly prefer the awd system of the current sti, 06 sti, evo ix, and evo x in that order - this is independent of suspension set ups however. Subaru definitely knows what they're doing with their 4wd systems, though their suspensions may be set up to understeer.

in terms of suspension set ups, current gen sti suspension feels pretty soft, and the evo x feels very, very stable. The IX feels a little.. skittish in comparison.

I've never driven an audi with quattro so I can't comment, but I heard they're pretty great - the new s4 also has an optional rear diff add on so I'm pretty interested to see it. Don't forget honda's sh-awd, which has torque transfer between left and right wheels, but I think it's tuned for safety rather than performance.

This is all completely my own personal opinion though.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
The current EVO X, is the the first EVO to have its AWD System designed from the ground up. So they did not start with FWD or RWD, they started with building a entire new system.

Thus it is superior to the EVO VII,VIII,IX systems.
The Evo X is based on a FWD car like every Evo before it. Yeah, its more advanced because its their latest design, but it still a FWD biased system.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GPTourer
The Evo X is based on a FWD car like every Evo before it. Yeah, its more advanced because its their latest design, but it still a FWD biased system.
how does anyone really know what they are based on? Did u all ask Mitsubishi directly or what? lol
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
how does anyone really know what they are based on? Did u all ask Mitsubishi directly or what? lol
I can open the hood and see that it has a transverse mounted engine with the transmission sitting right next to it, a drive shaft and a transfer case, so no I don't have to be on the board of engineers at Mitsu to see whats going on.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgot to include Honda's Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive system (SH-AWD)
http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/2004-4040401a/
Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by MR Dan
Forgot to include Honda's Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive system (SH-AWD)
http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/2004-4040401a/
we do not need to mention that, in this category in performance.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 09:33 PM

I've just put 700 miles and finished break in on my 2010 Evo and part that I really like is that you can actually feel awc working when you take a good corner very fast, I feel almost an oversteer compare to audi's quattro or sti. Audi's handling is more of a neutral feeling coming from b6, b7 s4s.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:31 PM

I drove an 06 STI for 3 years and autocrossed with it many many times. Subaru definatly hit it right with the STI with the active center diff and amazing AWD.
My only problem with Subaru is they have horrible factory suspension setups. They understeer horribly from the factory. To drive the car any bit competitively you need upgraded sways at the least to remove some of the understeer. A good set of sways/coil overs and it really tightens it up. I removed most of the understeer and could power on oversteer through corners very easily.

The older A4's I've driven use a completely different method to control the AWD. Instead of a active center diff or LSD's they use braking to the wheels to control the car. It works extremely effective. I'm sure their S line cars are much more advanced and are setup more for a track.

I just got my MR so its hard to say but I can notice this system feels much more electronically controlled. I can't tell if that will work to its advantage on the track but it sure does seem to do a damn good job on the street on a bone stock car. Where ever you point the wheel, thats where it goes. No under or oversteer. I'd imagine with ASC all the way off, it may start to oversteer, which is a plus on the track.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
we do not need to mention that, in this category in performance.
Exactly, the day they put it under a performance car is when we can truly evaluate it. For now, its just so the yuppies can get extra traction if they park on the grass at the country club.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 08:08 PM

Fans of the other systems will tout the symmetrical or more traditional layouts of systems from Nissan, Audi and Subaru because they are RWD based cars with FWD added to make AWD. Mitsubishi starts with a FWD economy car layout and adds the RWD. Most other cars that use a FWD biased layout like Audi and Volvo for instance, aren't known for their handling prowess. However Mitsu uses this layout to great success and Evo has all the accolades to prove it. It has the world's premier AWD system.

Sorry i know this is old but i am new here and stumbled upon this. You are actually wrong, Subaru doesn't start with a RWD car and add FWD. The AWD is built from the ground up-i think that is one of their advertising points. Once again sorry-i just like to correct bland mistakes sometimes. A quick google would have told you that.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

You guys forgot nissans ATTESA...
Old Jul 6, 2011, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead?? Who cares.

any research will reveal the nissan gtr has the best awd system in the world. More research would lead one to believe the evo is 2nd. Most other systems are not electronic (subaru) thus are not as sophisticated or capable. And the ones that are, don't make track performance the highest priority.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 02:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by solarevo
i like subaru's AWD set up much better, symmetrical has equal cv joints, thus no torque steer, the lay out is much easier to work on,
in theory, sure no torque steer, in reality my sister's sti still has a **** load of it...
Old Jul 9, 2011, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
in theory, sure no torque steer, in reality my sister's sti still has a **** load of it...
I don't know about torque steer so much as the STi understeers like a fat pig. Always has, and takes $$$$$$$$texas to get it to not understeer so badly. The Evo IX was much more neutral-handling out of the box. The Evo X handles almost like an RWD car in a lot of ways.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 05:54 PM

evo x is a proper awd car, these guys have been at it for years, they know what there talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXYO7...feature=relmfu

im pretty sure all audis are fwd converted too awd, dont think the r8 would be tho, more like a lambo rwd coverted too awd?

Quick Reply: Mitsu's S-AWC, Subaru's Symmetrical system, Audi's, etc...