Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

To those who went really low offset, did it negatively affect handling?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To those who went really low offset, did it negatively affect handling?

Okay guys...I'm looking to purchase a new set of rims for the evo x....here is my dilemma

I'm looking to get a set of Enkei RPF1s or PF01 (when they release)....the problem is, Enkei makes some weird offsets...its either ET15 or ET35...nothing in between....

now I understand keeping it a close to stock offset will retain the natural balance of the car and avoid problems with scrub radius changing and what not....this is my ultimate goal...I'm not looking to slam my bi+ch and run some 18x10.5 ET15 or something along those lines...I'm way past the flush/aggressive look....I'm just looking for some performance and ultimate grip while keeping the natural balance of the evo x

I am HOPING enkei PF01 18x9.5 ET35 will clear the stock front brembos....supposedly its more bbk friendly than RPF1s....but who knows, we gotta wait until someone test fits it....this is what I really want to go for...since the RPF1 18x9.5 ET38 does not clear the stock brembos....

IF the PF01 ET35 offset does not clear brembos....I am left no choice but to go super aggressive at ET15....I know these will clear but I am worried about losing some handling with such an aggressive offset....

Can someone chime in on their experience from going stock to super low aggressive offsets? Did it really disturb the balance of the car? The looks are nice, but my ultimate goal is to make the car more faster....not make my car "look" nicer...

thanks in advanced!

Last edited by steven88; Nov 9, 2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

Going back to the stock rims that have all season tires from the 10.5" RPF1's with 275's on them a few weeks ago, I could immediately tell the steering effort decreased and the car even felt a bit quicker in acceleration. Also, I could tell right away that there was less grip.
Insofar as the larger wheels and tires disturbing the balance of the car, I wouldn't say so. The RPF1's at the camber settings I had them at, lowered on the Pro Kit, is far more sure footed in my opinion than the stock set up. I do also have a number of Cusco braces though... which may give me a bit more bias than others' opinions.
Hope this helps. Fender roll and pull in your future. Believe it.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by de_pellerin_luc
Going back to the stock rims that have all season tires from the 10.5" RPF1's with 275's on them a few weeks ago, I could immediately tell the steering effort decreased and the car even felt a bit quicker in acceleration. Also, I could tell right away that there was less grip.
Insofar as the larger wheels and tires disturbing the balance of the car, I wouldn't say so. The RPF1's at the camber settings I had them at, lowered on the Pro Kit, is far more sure footed in my opinion than the stock set up. I do also have a number of Cusco braces though... which may give me a bit more bias than others' opinions.
Hope this helps. Fender roll and pull in your future. Believe it.
so overall it didn't disturb the natural balance of the car? it just effected steering effort and acceleration?

probably the acceleration increase was due to the HUGE grip you were getting with the 275s...especially at all 4 corners...trading a small amount of acceleration for sheer grip is alright with me....I'll prob go with 255 or 265 though.....and make up the acceleration with bolt ons and tune

any more input from others?
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

bump for some input!
Old Nov 16, 2009, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
wider is better, don't you remember the Pontiac commercials?

I've not noticed any issues other than the car wants to tramline (ie follow the cracks in the road) more with the high camber and wider tires. Rubbing sucks a bit too when making slow, high steering input turns (i.e. in parking garages).
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
wider is better, don't you remember the Pontiac commercials?

I've not noticed any issues other than the car wants to tramline (ie follow the cracks in the road) more with the high camber and wider tires. Rubbing sucks a bit too when making slow, high steering input turns (i.e. in parking garages).
thanks for the input, what kind of camber are you running? and what suspension setup?

let me know what kinda tire you're running too
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
all that info is on the forums already, pay closer attention to me

275/35/18 nt05, -3.2f, -1.4r.