Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Are your brakes getting too hot at the track? Have $30 and an hour?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2009, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a great idea, I'm doing it. Thanks goofy!
Old Dec 23, 2009, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by onyx1121
What type of brake fluid are you running? If you are running stock, I would first suggesting just swapping that out for some ATE Typ 200 or Super Blue (I can't remember if both are made - one might be discontinued, but they are the same fluid, just different colors for easier bleeding when alternating use of each).

This will take care of a lot of boiling issues. The other suggestion is to really work on braking and driving mechanics. I've seen a huge temperature difference compared to my own driving and someone who was much more experienced.

Just some other ideas. Very neat modification if the above don't work for you, or you want some Porsche bling
I swapped to Motul 600 soon after getting the car. Swapped it when it boiled to Amsoil DOT4. When that boiled this summer switched to Endless RF650.

But I do agree with you that the way I brake now is different and is playing a factor in how my brakes are working.

In fact I'm braking harder and later, but my brakes aren't nearly as hot and I'm using significantly less pad than when I started. I bought a used set of Hawk HT10's and have 4-5 days on them and they still are good for a couple more days.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
U boiled Motul 600 and Amsoil?

Can you tell a bit more on your driving style and session lenght? Most people can't boil the stock fluid and the vast majority can't boil anything that u did. And how are you still alive if you boiled ur brake fluid 3 times?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Sessions are 20-25 minutes.

I boiled the Motul autocrossing, not tracking. 90+ second course and we were doing fun runs, so hotlapping, and it boiled after 2 hotlaps. Ferodo DS2500 brake pads.

The amsoil I boiled at Hallett (all the braking zones are downhill). It was 106*+ ambient (so imagine how hot it was on the track surface). I was on r-comps one day (corded) and street tires the next. My calipers are now black from this weekend. Hawk HT-10 brake pads.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So you say you aren't considered a Sunday driver?

I've also experimented with larger scoops that I attached to the Mitsu brake guides and found it helped a bit but still wasn't quite enough cooling. Likely if I went a little larger similar to the Porsche ones it would be good enough. My latest setup is using the undercar scoops plus 3" ducts guiding air from either side of the FMIC to the back of the rotor. I didn't use a metal adapter nozzle to force the air through the rotor but having both the scoops and 3" duct combo seems to be plenty of air for how I drive.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

haha, I don't spend the amount of money it takes to get on the track to tool around with the GTOs and porsches!

I was investigating ducts and at $20 (through a local porsche contact) for the ducts, I came out way ahead.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

So is there any negative effect from removing the brake dust shields?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you for this write up an link. Ordered for my X for the 2010 season. We'll see how they do.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, id like to know this too, and do you have a picture of how black your calipers are?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

black turning purple.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

goofy, judging from the stress you are causing to your brake fluid, it would be wise to monitor the condition of your front rotor hubs.

a few Xs here already have the misfortune of their front rotor hub breaking off under extreme braking in track.

if you're already on an aftermarket solution, you have nothing to worry about. just a headsup. :P
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Goofy, I would also consider rebuilding your calipers. The piston boots may be shot already due to the excessive heat.

One downside to not having the heatshield is the possibility of damaging the ABS sensor or something. That was the case on the 8/9 at least. Easy solution is just to do a good cool-down before parking.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:01 AM

Nice post. Going to look into this.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Goofy, I would also consider rebuilding your calipers. The piston boots may be shot already due to the excessive heat.

One downside to not having the heatshield is the possibility of damaging the ABS sensor or something. That was the case on the 8/9 at least. Easy solution is just to do a good cool-down before parking.
My boots are pretty jacked up honestly. Just don't feel like taking the calipers apart right now
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Good work! Brake cooling is always overlooked. Although i like a nice brake duct that sends a 3 inch hose to center of the rotor, this is certainly awesome for the money. Both would be great.

- Andrew

Quick Reply: Are your brakes getting too hot at the track? Have $30 and an hour?