Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Flat tire when traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2009, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flat tire when traveling?

This seems pretty elementary but I'm going to do some holiday traveling and started thinking of what to do if I had a flat out in the boonies.

1. Won't running the spare possibly harm the AWD system because of the different size?
2. Doesn't that Fix a Flat foam mess up the TPMS and make a mess and/or ruin the rim for future balancing?

I've got a tire plug kit for the tread that I would hopefully not have to use but a sidewall tear would suck. Waiting hours/days for Mitsu roadside Assist. is not an appealling prospect either.

Thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. No, the spare is designed to be about the same size as an OEM full size wheel. Although, it does say temporary use only, so use it temporarily
2. Yes, it clogs the sensor and sticks to the wheel. The tire tech will hate you for using it. Also, fix-a-flat does not work, stay away from it.

If you're paranoid, I'd suggest buying a cheap tire just in case you have flat or blowout so it can be put on at the closest service station. I guess this only works if you have 3 or less people traveling..just thought of the tiny trunk.