Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Advan RS or RZ 18x9 offset question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advan RS or RZ 18x9 offset question

I will be getting either the Advan RS or RZ in 18x9 very soon and I will be getting Swift springs at the same time (with plans to move to coilver eventually)

I need your opinion on the offsets below
RS: +22, +29
RZ: +25

For a street/occasional track setup, which of the above would you recommend?

Last edited by eddielmc; Jan 19, 2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

18x9 are WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY to small for the X

19x10 +25 is good

18x10 not sure off offset is good too. some one else can chime in
Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

I would go with RS +22 of the ones you listed, but if I were getting them I also would go with a 18x10 +25. But go with the width YOU want.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:02 AM

Thx for the inputs guys. From a performance standpoint, is it better to go with a lower or higher offset (given that the car will be lowered)
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

I am with silver06evo9mr. I would go with the 19x10 +25. rear fenders will need to be rolled to avoid rubbing. 18x9 are too small though. if you are gonna spend the money, go with the 10's minimum. Wheel offset will always affect handling on most given vehicles.

On the Evo X, your offset is already pretty high (38) stock with stock wheels. Going to a 22-25 offset creates less stress. Going to a 10 inch tire with a 22+ offset would give you 3 mm less clearance on the inside of the tire and it would extrend out the lip almost 35mm. With a 25+ offset, you would get 6 mm less inside clearance and it would extend the outer lip 32 mm.

The offset alone without touching the tire width moves the tire itself in or out from the wheel hub. So going to a wider tire alone, without touching offest will always affect turning radius. By going to a lower offset you are increasing turning radius by moving the inside lip closer in while being able to put a wider tire and rim on, thus increasing grip. In the end if you put on a wider tire, it is good to lower offset in my opinion to help with your turning radius. Keep in mind, the Evo X already has a high stock offest of +38.

10 inch wheel would give you
22+
3mm less inside lip
35mm extention on the outside lip

+25
6mm less inside lip
32 mm extention on the outside lip

9 inch wheel would give you
22+
10 mm MORE on the inside lip
22mm extention on the outside lip

25+
7mm MORE on the inside lip
19mm extention on the ouside lip

These numbers are all compared to your stock current Evo X wheels.

The pics are of Advan RZ 19x10 25+. Hopefully will give you an idea of what they look like. Silver06evo9mr has RS's same size and offset.

Last edited by Tachyon56; Jan 21, 2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

offset can effect the handling as scrub and turing radius get worse with more offset.....
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
18x10 - you will not be happy after spending $2K for the 18x9's. They just aren't agressive enough. Find the right tires, and 265/35's won't rub on the rears.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:50 PM

I'm confused... Isn't a smaller turning radius better for handling?

So to not have an adverse affect on handling over the stock setup, I should look to reduce clearance to both the strut and the fender?

My reasons for going with 18x9 are:
1) Advan does not make their wheels in 9.5
2) I don't wanna roll my fenders to fit 10
3) I want to reuse my stock rubbers

Thanks for all the advises guys. Now I'm thinking I should probably look for 18x9.5 +25 from other manufacturers...
Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eddielmc
I'm confused... Isn't a smaller turning radius better for handling?

So to not have an adverse affect on handling over the stock setup, I should look to reduce clearance to both the strut and the fender?

My reasons for going with 18x9 are:
1) Advan does not make their wheels in 9.5
2) I don't wanna roll my fenders to fit 10
3) I want to reuse my stock rubbers

Thanks for all the advises guys. Now I'm thinking I should probably look for 18x9.5 +25 from other manufacturers...
IT is a balance between more qrip etc.

IT is about where the center of the tire is compared to the pivot point. So no difference in this respect if it is 9.5+25 or 10.0 +25 in this respect.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by jimm
IT is a balance between more qrip etc.

IT is about where the center of the tire is compared to the pivot point. So no difference in this respect if it is 9.5+25 or 10.0 +25 in this respect.
What about 9.5+25 vs 9.5+20? which one would have better handling characteristics?

Is it ideal to increase or reduce clearance to the strut (using stock setup as a reference)
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by 350Ger
looking forward to track your x?
I'm hoping to get into it this year. As you can tell, i'm a complete noob lol...

You track your Z? I had a 2003 before the Evo, loved that car to death.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tachyon56

On the Evo X, your offset is already pretty high (38) stock with stock wheels. Going to a 22-25 offset creates less stress. Going to a 10 inch tire with a 22+ offset would give you 3 mm less clearance on the inside of the tire and it would extrend out the lip almost 35mm. With a 25+ offset, you would get 6 mm less inside clearance and it would extend the outer lip 32 mm.

The offset alone without touching the tire width moves the tire itself in or out from the wheel hub. So going to a wider tire alone, without touching offest will always affect turning radius. By going to a lower offset you are increasing turning radius by moving the inside lip closer in while being able to put a wider tire and rim on, thus increasing grip. In the end if you put on a wider tire, it is good to lower offset in my opinion to help with your turning radius. Keep in mind, the Evo X already has a high stock offest of +38.

10 inch tire would give you
22+
3mm less inside lip

+25
6mm less inside lip

9 inch tire would give you
22+
10 mm MORE on the inside lip

25+
7mm MORE on the inside lip

These numbers are all compared to your stock current Evo X tires.

Tachyon56, thanks for the info.
i just wanted to add the info for the 9.5 Inch wheels, and to clarify more because i was a little bit confused the first time i read it.

10 inch tire would give you
22+
3mm MORE inside lip (3mm less CLEARANCE)

+25
6mm MORE inside lip (6mm less CLEARANCE)

9.5 inch tire would give you
22+
3mm LESS inside lip (3mm more CLEARANCE)
29mm extention on the outside lip

25+
0mm LESS/ MORE inside lip (NO CHANGE)
26mm extention on the ouside lip

9 inch tire would give you
22+
10 mm LESS inside lip (10mm MORE CLEARANCE)

25+
7mm LESS inside lip (7mm MORE CLEARANCE)
Old Jan 21, 2010, 03:09 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^Thanks, sorrry to be confusing and thanks for helping to clarify.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 03:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eddielmc
What about 9.5+25 vs 9.5+20? which one would have better handling characteristics?

Is it ideal to increase or reduce clearance to the strut (using stock setup as a reference)
The +20 will give you better handling characteristics because the tires will be sitting further out for a wide stance, thus providing greater stability when cornering. Keep in mind you are looking for a flush look and you dont want the tires hitting the fenders when you go over a bump in the road. I take it you are going to be using this as a daily driver with minimal track time.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon56
The +20 will give you better handling characteristics because the tires will be sitting further out for a wide stance, thus providing greater stability when cornering. Keep in mind you are looking for a flush look and you dont want the tires hitting the fenders when you go over a bump in the road. I take it you are going to be using this as a daily driver with minimal track time.
Thx for the reply, this is exactly what I'm looking for. The car will be used as a DD with minimal track time, so my primary concern would be the rubbing issue since I don't intend on rolling my fenders.

My main goal is to have a street friendly setup (good clearance to struts and fenders) while offering slight handling improvement over stock. I'm not after the most aggressive look or the most hardcore track setup. Sorry for the confusion.

Quick Reply: Advan RS or RZ 18x9 offset question