Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Got a good price quote on some Potenza 960 A/S PP should I pull the trigger?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2010, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've put about 14,000 miles on my Bridgestone 960 A/S tires and I love them.

Great dry traction, good in the snow and wet, quiet on the highway, no squealing around corners, and they still look like new.

Old Feb 27, 2010, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarwinX
I've put about 14,000 miles on my Bridgestone 960 A/S tires and I love them.

Great dry traction, good in the snow and wet, quiet on the highway, no squealing around corners, and they still look like new.

did your stock tires wear out or did you just opt to switch if you don't mind me asking? Any MPG changes that you have noticed?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by atombomb33
P Zero Nero is an A/S tire. RE050A is a summer tire. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....toModel=Lancer Evolution&autoModClar=GSR
No matter what tire rack tells you...

P Zero Nero

Potenza RE960S

How can you say that pirelli is an all season tire? Seriously? If it said on tirerack that Blizzak LM-25 are an extreme performance summer tire, would you believe it?

It's grip in the snow would be very comparable to any other tire you guys actually consider in the snow. (RT-615, Stock Advans, Z1's etc etc).
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Toxin
No matter what tire rack tells you...

P Zero Nero

Potenza RE960S

How can you say that pirelli is an all season tire? Seriously? If it said on tirerack that Blizzak LM-25 are an extreme performance summer tire, would you believe it?

It's grip in the snow would be very comparable to any other tire you guys actually consider in the snow. (RT-615, Stock Advans, Z1's etc etc).
It looks like Pirelli's own site says they are all seasons... just saying

http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catalo...pe=CAR-SUV-VAN
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u

did your stock tires wear out or did you just opt to switch if you don't mind me asking? Any MPG changes that you have noticed?
I switched over to the Bridgestone 960 A/S tires the very next day after buying my Evo, so I can't say I've notice any difference.

My stock Advans have been down in my cellar ever since. I'm saving them for when I purchase Summer wheels.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:55 PM
EvoM Community Team

It looks like Pirelli's own site says they are all seasons... just saying

http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catalo...pe=CAR-SUV-VAN
Toxin, your answer is this ^^^

You can't look at tread pattern and decide what type of tire it is.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

he consistantly bashes all seasons because he's had a set of goodyear A/S's that apparently suck... I guess that means all of them do.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Actually you can look at a tread pattern and see if it was intended for snow or not. The Pirelli isn't, the 960 is. Notice the little "cuts" in the tread? That's what makes a tire work in the snow too. Between the two, you can tell which tire will be better in the snow by a decade.

And my opinion still stands - all season tires suck. I hate them. I'll never ever buy them (I got them with the car, they suck). If you like to drive your car like it was meant to be driven, get snow tires for the winter and have a REAL BLAST in the snow (anyone that drives all seasons and hasn't tried blizzaks/wintersports or something like that, you don't have permission to say your car handles ok with A/S's) and for the spring/summer/autumn get some proper summer tires.

So far I've been driving on Blizzaks, Goodyear Ultragrips and Dunlop Wintersport 3D's in the winter and Bridgestone Potenza RE050A and Michelin PilotSport PS2 in the summer. This summer, I'll be driving on Potenza RE050A (unless Z1's finally come to EU as a street legal tire) and for the winter I'll be getting either Bridgestone Blizzak LM-35 or Dunlop Wintersport 3D - whichever I get a better price on since they both rule in the winter.

Edit: 1 more thing. You people drive on Direzzas in the snow and switch to all seasons and think you've got grip. I drive on snow tires and I drive on summer tires and I know what it's like to drive summer tires in the snow (we've had snow at the end of April, go figure). And now I've got all-seasons by coincidence. I am sharing my EXPERIENCE while most of the people who claim all-seasons are good have never even driven a snow tire. Every now and then you see a post just like mine or the other way around like "I used to drive on all seasons but bought Blizzaks this year and all I can say is WOW". Go figure.

he consistantly bashes all seasons because he's had a set of goodyear A/S's that apparently suck... I guess that means all of them do.
And again - it's my opinion, I don't like to compromise safety, I didn't buy an Evo to "get around fine". I bought it to enjoy it every corner that I can. And any all season tire just doesn't fit that description from any angle.

Last edited by Toxin; Feb 28, 2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Actually you can look at a tread pattern and see if it was intended for snow or not. The Pirelli isn't, the 960 is. Notice the little "cuts" in the tread? That's what makes a tire work in the snow too. Between the two, you can tell which tire will be better in the snow by a decade.

And my opinion still stands - all season tires suck. I hate them. I'll never ever buy them (I got them with the car, they suck). If you like to drive your car like it was meant to be driven, get snow tires for the winter and have a REAL BLAST in the snow (anyone that drives all seasons and hasn't tried blizzaks/wintersports or something like that, you don't have permission to say your car handles ok with A/S's) and for the spring/summer/autumn get some proper summer tires.

So far I've been driving on Blizzaks, Goodyear Ultragrips and Dunlop Wintersport 3D's in the winter and Bridgestone Potenza RE050A and Michelin PilotSport PS2 in the summer. This summer, I'll be driving on Potenza RE050A (unless Z1's finally come to EU as a street legal tire) and for the winter I'll be getting either Bridgestone Blizzak LM-35 or Dunlop Wintersport 3D - whichever I get a better price on since they both rule in the winter.

And again - it's my opinion, I don't like to compromise safety, I didn't buy an Evo to "get around fine". I bought it to enjoy it every corner that I can. And any all season tire just doesn't fit that description from any angle.
dude... if their own site says they are all seasons... was that a misprint all knowing one?
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

dude... if their own site says they are all seasons... was that a misprint all knowing one?
The general belief on this forum is "all-season" means "any-weather" including snow.

-Innovative all season compound for top level grip on wet and dry conditions.
Notice snow anywhere?

The Potenza RE960AS Pole Position is designed to provide year-round driving flexibility by offering predictable handling, traction and control on dry and wet roads, as well as in light snow.
I'm trying to clarify things for you because you obviously purchase a tire just by reading what it says next to it.

Here's a picture of the Nankang NS2. It says it's an Ultra High Performance summer tire. Want to try taking a corner with the same speed as with a stock Advan?

Last edited by Toxin; Feb 28, 2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

It tried all seasons this winter and I'll never do it again. All seasons are the worst of both worlds. They don't offer the summer traction that EVOs should have (not even close), and they don't offer the best snow traction (Not even close).
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

The general belief on this forum is "all-season" means "any-weather" including snow.

Notice snow anywhere?

I'm trying to clarify things for you because you obviously purchase a tire just by reading what it says next to it.

Here's a picture of the Nankang NS2. It says it's an Ultra High Performance summer tire. Want to try taking a corner with the same speed as with a stock Advan?

I didn't ask if it said anything about snow... the page clearly states "all season" now how dense you are i'm not to sure, but if that's what the tire company that made the tire states on their own website, then that must be what it is right? Or are they just wrong and should have you looking at all their tread pattens to tell them what the tire should be used for?

Oh, so what I should do is just get on here and ask your opinion of which tire i'm looking at? Yes, I should most definitely go out and by 2 sets of tires and spend at least 500.00 more for a second set of tires because I don't track my car in any way, I rarely drive the car hard at all, especially on the street... I guess i'm just not a moron, call me crazy. Maybe I should go to a tire shop, ask them to mount me a set of tires because I want to try them out, and then just have them let me test drive a half a dozen tires before I decide to settle on one... oh no wait, I have you to give me all the info I need!! Good to know!

Last edited by Methodical4u; Feb 28, 2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't ask if it said anything about snow... the page clearly states "all season" now how dense you are i'm not to sure, but if that's what the tire company that made the tire states on their own website, then that must be what it is right? Or are they just wrong and should have you looking at all their tread pattens to tell them what the tire should be used for?

Oh, so what I should do is just get on here and ask your opinion of which tire i'm looking at? Yes, I should most definitely go out and by 2 sets of tires and spend at least 500.00 more for a second set of tires because I don't track my car in any way, I rarely drive the car hard at all, especially on the street... I guess i'm just not a moron, call me crazy. Maybe I should go to a tire shop, ask them to mount me a set of tires because I want to try them out, and then just have them let me test drive a half a dozen tires before I decide to settle on one... oh no wait, I have you to give me all the info I need!! Good to know!

Let's go back to school:

1st grade:
All-Seasons:
Spring
Summer
Autumn
Winter

2nd grade:
Spring - Flowers bloom
Summer - It's really hot
Autumn - Leaves fall
Winter - SNOW

Let me try again in the most civil way I can put my statement together:
I stated clearly that IN MY OPINION the Pirelli tire is NOT a tire that is drivable in all seasons. I backed my statement up with facts and pictures about winter tires. I've shared first hand experience.

You're just bashing my legitimate information with the simple words "Pirelli said it's all-season, it's gotta be then right?". Maybe they wrote all-season on it just because it sucks in every condition and then fits the purpose?

And in case you missed the post in between your blabber.

Originally Posted by Spoonie
It tried all seasons this winter and I'll never do it again. All seasons are the worst of both worlds. They don't offer the summer traction that EVOs should have (not even close), and they don't offer the best snow traction (Not even close).
P.S.
And yes, damn straight you should be asking for my opinion. For once you can read an opinion from someone who has first hand experience relating to all season, winter and summer tires on the same car, every year. It's information like mine that you can objectively use to consider a purchase of tires for your application. Or you can base your purchase on reading the description and buy Nankang as previously stated. It's an UHP Tire afterall isn't it?

Last edited by Toxin; Feb 28, 2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Let's go back to school:

1st grade:
All-Seasons:
Spring
Summer
Autumn
Winter

2nd grade:
Spring - Flowers bloom
Summer - It's really hot
Autumn - Leaves fall
Winter - SNOW

Let me try again in the most civil way I can put my statement together:
I stated clearly that IN MY OPINION the Pirelli tire is NOT a tire that is drivable in all seasons. I backed my statement up with facts and pictures about winter tires. I've shared first hand experience.

You're just bashing my legitimate information with the simple words "Pirelli said it's all-season, it's gotta be then right?". Maybe they wrote all-season on it just because it sucks in every condition and then fits the purpose?

And in case you missed the post in between your blabber.
No, I didn't miss what he stated, that's one opinion, and that opinion should be backed up by which tires he used, why he feels they were not very good, how many other types of tires he has used, which car he used them on, etc etc. There are going to be many opinions from many different people about what they like and don't like and even many of them only say things because someone else says it so it just must be true right? Not everyone on here wants to pay 180.00 a tire (and that's being generous) that they can use for 2 seasons... not to mention the extra money for buying snow tires. Maybe some people who have bought A/S's and think they suck, just suck at driving. People say the advans don't have any grip in the snow.. mine do when I drive my car. Can I go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds? No, but does that really matter to me? No, my wife has an SUV so I can go wherever I want in the snow and not have to get salt all over my car, but if I need to get out and the snow is 4 inches or so, my advans do the job.

Your arrogance AND ignorance are a few of the reasons why people don't get an unbiased opinion about tires, parts, etc. Once again, from Pirelli's own website the tire in question has been put under the "all season tire" bracket.. do you know what that means? That means that you are WRONG in your opinion in calling them a summer tire no matter how you may feel about it you will be wrong, no matter how many pictures you post, or ways you try to make yourself look right... you're not and you won't ever been in this case... now, get out of my thread so that I can go back to talking to the civil posters and not the self proclaimed knowitall's on this site.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

I outlined with red the relevant parts of the pirelli official site for you, I didn't bother pointing out the summer part that's already written in red. I'll get out of your thread now.

Quick Reply: Got a good price quote on some Potenza 960 A/S PP should I pull the trigger?