Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Got a good price quote on some Potenza 960 A/S PP should I pull the trigger?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Toxin
I outlined with red the relevant parts of the pirelli official site for you, I didn't bother pointing out the summer part that's already written in red. I'll get out of your thread now.

hey, if that's what it says i'm man enough to admit that was incorrect when proof is shown.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I'll put my apology here too then. You offered the hand first.

I'm sorry for approaching so strongly too, but I've driven on P Zero Neros on a different car... I've got a lot and I mean A LOT of experience with driving in the snow. I like to drive fast in the snow as well. And I'm just trying to prove my point that summer tires are dangerous in the snow, all seasons suck in the snow but will get you around at low speeds and that if you want to actually drive in the snow, not just skid around, you need a dedicated snow tire for that.

You should also know that there is a version of the P Zero Nero that's marked as an all season tire (tagged with M+S). It's the same tread pattern, different compound however.

All I'm trying to really get through as a point is that all season tires and winter tires should not be mentioned in the same sentence when talking about snow. I hope you can understand that and if you haven't ever driven your evo in the snow on winter tires, I strongly encourage you to follow my advice and try it once. You will know what I meant when I try it.

I guess even though quite a bit of argue here, we put some solid info out there overall in this topic
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Well I'll put my apology here too then. You offered the hand first.

I'm sorry for approaching so strongly too, but I've driven on P Zero Neros on a different car... I've got a lot and I mean A LOT of experience with driving in the snow. I like to drive fast in the snow as well. And I'm just trying to prove my point that summer tires are dangerous in the snow, all seasons suck in the snow but will get you around at low speeds and that if you want to actually drive in the snow, not just skid around, you need a dedicated snow tire for that.

You should also know that there is a version of the P Zero Nero that's marked as an all season tire (tagged with M+S). It's the same tread pattern, different compound however.

All I'm trying to really get through as a point is that all season tires and winter tires should not be mentioned in the same sentence when talking about snow. I hope you can understand that and if you haven't ever driven your evo in the snow on winter tires, I strongly encourage you to follow my advice and try it once. You will know what I meant when I try it.

I guess even though quite a bit of argue here, we put some solid info out there overall in this topic
My whole thing is i'm not as worried about the snow, or even the colder temperatures... i'm just sick of constantly hearing rocks, sand, etc getting thrown all over my car... so if there is a bit of a harder summer tire that is good in the wet, but not quite as soft as the advans I may be interested in one of those as well.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
My whole thing is i'm not as worried about the snow, or even the colder temperatures... i'm just sick of constantly hearing rocks, sand, etc getting thrown all over my car... so if there is a bit of a harder summer tire that is good in the wet, but not quite as soft as the advans I may be interested in one of those as well.
Potenza RE050A or Michelin Pilot Sport 2. Potenza has a much stiffer sidewall, the Pilot Sport is much more comfortable. They have the same tread wear rating (or they used to at least). I've driven on both of them. If you're not worried about the snow at all, I'd pick from those two.

I'd say that the Potenza grips better while the Michelin has superiority in aqua planning prevention. We have higher speed limits here so I drive around 85-90mph on the highways and Potenzas floated a bit now and then while the PS2's were rock solid through anything (especially while they were close to new). The only problem I have with the PS2's are they squeal like a pig and have really soft sidewalls and if you will push them hard, you will kill the edges of the tires really fast. It's the ultimate comfort + performance tire otherwise imo

But yes - both of them are quite expensive.
Mileage: I did about 14k on a set of PS2's (daily highway commute about 70 miles + 1-2 spirited runs per weekend) and about 12k on Potenza RE050A (but they had some tread left but finished their life with a trackday where they gripped until the very end, even though there were pieces missing from them)

If your driving style is fast mountain twisties, I'd go with Potenzas, if you don't really push your car that much, I'd go for Michelins.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Potenza RE050A or Michelin Pilot Sport 2. Potenza has a much stiffer sidewall, the Pilot Sport is much more comfortable. They have the same tread wear rating (or they used to at least). I've driven on both of them. If you're not worried about the snow at all, I'd pick from those two.

I'd say that the Potenza grips better while the Michelin has superiority in aqua planning prevention. We have higher speed limits here so I drive around 85-90mph on the highways and Potenzas floated a bit now and then while the PS2's were rock solid through anything (especially while they were close to new). The only problem I have with the PS2's are they squeal like a pig and have really soft sidewalls and if you will push them hard, you will kill the edges of the tires really fast. It's the ultimate comfort + performance tire otherwise imo

But yes - both of them are quite expensive.
Mileage: I did about 14k on a set of PS2's (daily highway commute about 70 miles + 1-2 spirited runs per weekend) and about 12k on Potenza RE050A (but they had some tread left but finished their life with a trackday where they gripped until the very end, even though there were pieces missing from them)

If your driving style is fast mountain twisties, I'd go with Potenzas, if you don't really push your car that much, I'd go for Michelins.
nope, don't push it that much. I drive 60 on the highway (speed limit here is 55) and live in a smaller town that's all 25-30 speed limit. Occasionally I have some fun, but nothing that's to crazy. How would both of the above mentioned stack up against the stock advans?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 08:10 AM
EvoM Community Team

TOXIN...The Pirelli P-Zero Nero comes in multiple lines. All the same name. Different tires. For instance, there is a summer tire, all-season tires and M+S tire. When you posted that picture, you conveniently only showed the summer tab. How about clicking on the all-season tab? You'll find the all-season and M+S versions of the P-Zero Nero.

Also, you're not listening to what the OP wants/needs in his next set of tires. You're only trying to impart your beliefs regardless of the OP. If you want to be helpful, leave your personal bias at the door. Listen to what the OP is saying, then provide advice based on what he is saying.

And, no, all-season tires are not as bad as you make them sound. You make it seem as if they are totally worthless in light snow (which is what the OP gets where he lives). All-season tires are fine for his area. He doesn't need dedicated snow tires (although they would be safer even in light snow). He should not get another set of summer tires based on where he lives, the cold temps he'll encounter and the light snow he'll see a few times a year.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

nope, don't push it that much. I drive 60 on the highway (speed limit here is 55) and live in a smaller town that's all 25-30 speed limit. Occasionally I have some fun, but nothing that's to crazy. How would both of the above mentioned stack up against the stock advans?
Dry grip wise, both are slightly inferior. RE050A have a stiffer sidewall than the Advans, Michelins slightly softer. If you like your car to feel crisp on every corner (meaning you feel more bumps and rocks too) go for Potenzas, if you want serious comfort go for Michelins but be prepared that when you take a corner hard, you will notice the slop in the walls and they squeal a lot. Michelins overheat a bit faster too I think. In the rain, they both will literally make fun of Advans, especially when there's more than just a slightly wet road (aka rain, puddles and aquaplaning).

For what you described, both of the tires will suit your purpose and should EASILY last you 2 seasons. In all honesty, just go with the ones you can get a better price on, if they're about the same I'd choose the Potenza.

Edit: I've just read Bridgestone released Potenza S001 which will be a replacement for the RE050A. But the pricing is quite brutal on them from what I know so far. I'll be buying those for the summer this year and I'll be able to tell you more soon.

Either way, you're safe with any of those choices for anything but snow. I guarantee it.

Originally Posted by atombomb33
TOXIN...The Pirelli P-Zero Nero comes in multiple lines. All the same name. Different tires. For instance, there is a summer tire, all-season tires and M+S tire. When you posted that picture, you conveniently only showed the summer tab. How about clicking on the all-season tab? You'll find the all-season and M+S versions of the P-Zero Nero.

Also, you're not listening to what the OP wants/needs in his next set of tires. You're only trying to impart your beliefs regardless of the OP. If you want to be helpful, leave your personal bias at the door. Listen to what the OP is saying, then provide advice based on what he is saying.

And, no, all-season tires are not as bad as you make them sound. You make it seem as if they are totally worthless in light snow (which is what the OP gets where he lives). All-season tires are fine for his area. He doesn't need dedicated snow tires (although they would be safer even in light snow). He should not get another set of summer tires based on where he lives, the cold temps he'll encounter and the light snow he'll see a few times a year.
I'll quote my own post here:

Last edited by Toxin; Mar 1, 2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 09:55 AM
EvoM Community Team

Thanks for quoting a small part of a previous post buried within pictures showing summer-only tires. I'm not sure what the argument was even about or why you felt the need to try to prove something wrong when it was right all along???
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, I didn't miss what he stated, that's one opinion, and that opinion should be backed up by which tires he used, why he feels they were not very good, how many other types of tires he has used, which car he used them on, etc etc. There are going to be many opinions from many different people about what they like and don't like and even many of them only say things because someone else says it so it just must be true right? Not everyone on here wants to pay 180.00 a tire (and that's being generous) that they can use for 2 seasons... not to mention the extra money for buying snow tires. Maybe some people who have bought A/S's and think they suck, just suck at driving. People say the advans don't have any grip in the snow.. mine do when I drive my car. Can I go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds? No, but does that really matter to me? No, my wife has an SUV so I can go wherever I want in the snow and not have to get salt all over my car, but if I need to get out and the snow is 4 inches or so, my advans do the job.

Your arrogance AND ignorance are a few of the reasons why people don't get an unbiased opinion about tires, parts, etc. Once again, from Pirelli's own website the tire in question has been put under the "all season tire" bracket.. do you know what that means? That means that you are WRONG in your opinion in calling them a summer tire no matter how you may feel about it you will be wrong, no matter how many pictures you post, or ways you try to make yourself look right... you're not and you won't ever been in this case... now, get out of my thread so that I can go back to talking to the civil posters and not the self proclaimed knowitall's on this site.

All seasons suck for EVO X types of vehicles. If I had to do an emergency maneuver the last tires I would want on my car are all seasons. All seasons are not the optimal tires plain and simple. Putting all season tires on your car will seriously lessen the cornering ability in summer when compared to summer tires. I know we all don’t attack corners like mad men, but why lessen the EVO’s cornering ability to that of a Normal car? And that is exactly what all-season tires will do; they lower the EVOs cornering ability to that of a normal car. That isn’t why I purchased an EVO.

And the same goes for the winter. My all season tires were scary in the snow. I’ve never experienced that feeling with snow tires on (even on a RWD vehicle). The last time I felt that scared driving in the snow, it was when I had on summer tires in the winter.

And you asked what types of tires that I’ve owned? Where do I start? Let’s start by saying I’ve been driving for 23 years. I’ve owned Blizzacks, Summer Pirellis, Summer Dunlops, Winter Dunlops, All season Good years, Summer Bridgestones, Summer Continental tires, Summer Kumho and Summer Sumitumos. I’m sure I missed some.

I think you should listen to the good advice that folks here are telling you about tires. They are giving you the best advice period and believe it or not, looking out for your safety. God forbid that you have to make an evasive maneuver with all seasons. I pray for you.

Last edited by Spoonie; Mar 1, 2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Oh yeah.... You get what you pay for. $180 tires cost more because they are better. Why skimp? That’s what I did when I got the $135.00 all seasons. I thought that I'd be getting tires that are almost as good. But as it turned out, they were nowhere near as good as the dedicated snows. Never again. Next time I'll spend the money and be safer. I sacrificed a level of safety to save some money. Not a smart move.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spoonie
Oh yeah.... You get what you pay for. $180 tires cost more because they are better. Why skimp? That’s what I did when I got the $135.00 all seasons. I thought that I'd be getting tires that are almost as good. But as it turned out, they were nowhere near as good as the dedicated snows. Never again. Next time I'll spend the money and be safer. I sacrificed a level of safety to save some money. Not a smart move.
star specs are cheaper than pretty much most of the tires in their class... are they worse? because I see people rave about them on here all the time.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

star specs are cheaper than pretty much most of the tires in their class... are they worse? because I see people rave about them on here all the time.
I haven't had any experience with the star specs. But if the folks here are raving about them then they must be good. FWIW I cannot see myself spending $392 (ea) for advans. I'm not sure what tire I'm gonna get, gotta wear out the all seasons first. Which appear to have zero wear after 6 weeks.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spoonie
I haven't had any experience with the star specs. But if the folks here are raving about them then they must be good. FWIW I cannot see myself spending $392 (ea) for advans. I'm not sure what tire I'm gonna get, gotta wear out the all seasons first. Which appear to have zero wear after 6 weeks.
star specs are I think 186 a tire on tirerack... my brother in law's friend could get 4potenza A/S for 690 mounted, so I guess for star specs it would be about the same... maybe.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

ok guys i've got until April 2nd to take this Potenza 960 A/S deal... I have looked at some other tires as well so give me some opinions.. let me again state what I am looking for.

1. At least a decent amount of life with the tire
2. Good traction in the dry and in the wet ( I don't ever track the car )
3. A tire that is not so sticky that it throws rocks and crap all over my paint
4. If it's A/S it would be nice for it to do at least ok in the snow.
5. name doesn't really mean much to me.

The tires i'm looking at are:
The Star Specs
The Potenza 960 A/S
The Bfgoodrich G-force A/S (supposed to have superb grip in the dry as well

If anyone wants to add something I will do some research on it.

The Potenza's are rated very well and while not all people know what they are talking about overall (based on people's ratings) it got excellent reviews in dry and wet traction, and pretty decent ratings in the snow. I'm open for suggestions though.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

ok guys i've got until April 2nd to take this Potenza 960 A/S deal... I have looked at some other tires as well so give me some opinions.. let me again state what I am looking for.

1. At least a decent amount of life with the tire
2. Good traction in the dry and in the wet ( I don't ever track the car )
3. A tire that is not so sticky that it throws rocks and crap all over my paint
4. If it's A/S it would be nice for it to do at least ok in the snow.
5. name doesn't really mean much to me.

The tires i'm looking at are:
The Star Specs
The Potenza 960 A/S
The Bfgoodrich G-force A/S (supposed to have superb grip in the dry as well

If anyone wants to add something I will do some research on it.

The Potenza's are rated very well and while not all people know what they are talking about overall (based on people's ratings) it got excellent reviews in dry and wet traction, and pretty decent ratings in the snow. I'm open for suggestions though.
Star specs don't qualify in your search because they aren't meant for the wet and they are stick and will throw rocks at your car.

Try Potenza RE050A (they suck in the snow, rock anything else, but as I've already beat on the subject, get a snow tire for the winter, you'll never regret it) or if you can get your hands on the new tires that have been released recently as a replacement for the RE050A - the Potenza S001 (they're out in EU, dunno about USA) - anyway they're standard fitment tires that come with the car brand new for the new Aston Martin, Ferrari, Audi RS5 etc... They don't come in 245/40/18 however. I ordered mine yesterday (S001 265/35/18)

Cheers and good luck on finding the right tires for you!

Quick Reply: Got a good price quote on some Potenza 960 A/S PP should I pull the trigger?