Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Got a good price quote on some Potenza 960 A/S PP should I pull the trigger?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2010, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toxin
P Zero Nero goes in the same category as Potenza RE050A performance wise which is far from an all season. P Zero in the snow is going to match or get very close to the stock Advans = useless.

On the other hand, I consider all-season tires useless too, because I'm used to driving winter tires in the winter and summer tires in the summer. All seasons - jack of all trades - useless at all of them.

And even the amount of posts commenting how stock advans or similar tires (RT615, Z1 star specs etc) is downright scary. I mean, are you guys really insane enough to EVEN TRY driving in the snow with an extreme performance summer tire? It's like trying to go ice skating in leather shoes....

Edit: for the OP - my vote goes against all seasons of any type - get dedicated winters for the winter, get summer tires for the rest of the year. You'll be happy everytime you see snow with winter tires.
I agree, but I think with the cost involved each person has to factor in how much they drive in winter, and how bad the conditions get where they live. I live in New York so my thoughts will be different from someone in the Carolinas. Not only do I have an 80 mile round trip for work, but thought, I have a car that is designed to be awesome in snow. Why would I negate that by putting all seasons on it??? Also, the last few winters I've seen people having issues and traffic being slowed up and thought, I know these people are driving around with all seasons.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EddyC
I agree, but I think with the cost involved each person has to factor in how much they drive in winter, and how bad the conditions get where they live. I live in New York so my thoughts will be different from someone in the Carolinas. Not only do I have an 80 mile round trip for work, but thought, I have a car that is designed to be awesome in snow. Why would I negate that by putting all seasons on it??? Also, the last few winters I've seen people having issues and traffic being slowed up and thought, I know these people are driving around with all seasons.
It's funny... living here in Md we've had sooooooooooo much snow here this year, but over the last few years we've had hardly any snow at all.. I think one year we had about 1 or 2 snows that were 2 inches each... it just happened to be a crappy year. I managed to get a call from my old job and they may want to rehire me, so i'll be praying for that to get some extra money.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Star specs don't qualify in your search because they aren't meant for the wet and they are stick and will throw rocks at your car.

Try Potenza RE050A (they suck in the snow, rock anything else, but as I've already beat on the subject, get a snow tire for the winter, you'll never regret it) or if you can get your hands on the new tires that have been released recently as a replacement for the RE050A - the Potenza S001 (they're out in EU, dunno about USA) - anyway they're standard fitment tires that come with the car brand new for the new Aston Martin, Ferrari, Audi RS5 etc... They don't come in 245/40/18 however. I ordered mine yesterday (S001 265/35/18)

Cheers and good luck on finding the right tires for you!
well I looked at the tires you had suggested, but they are just to expensive, what else do you suggest.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 02:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
well I looked at the tires you had suggested, but they are just to expensive, what else do you suggest.
Well if you're looking to save a little money, then I'd say to pull the trigger with the all season deal on the Potenza 960 A/S. Especially if there's a chance you will not be able to afford another set of tires before the winter, because going through a winter that contains snow on any of the tires I recommended to you and living to tell the tale is not as certain as you could imagine.

Go with all seasons, take good care of them in the summer (don't beat on them ever, because they're usually too soft to take the beating and not soft enough for the snow) and keep some of the tread for the winter and it should get you around. If you'll burn them up in the summer, they will do absolutely nothing in the snow because you will kill the small "canals" in the tread that are there only for the snow.

When you're financially capable and ready to pull the trigger on a tire that'll shine the evo above the average car, hit the forums again and there'll be me or someone else to act like an idiot, give you some lectures and in the end, help yo to your final decision

P.S. If you still decide on a summer tire but want a better price, look in to Hankook Ventus V12 Evo, Pirelli P Zero Nero, Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta... They are not the best tires on the market, they however will most likely leave any all season tire trailing in the dust in anything but snow.

P.S. #2
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Last edited by Toxin; Mar 8, 2010 at 02:12 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Well if you're looking to save a little money, then I'd say to pull the trigger with the all season deal on the Potenza 960 A/S. Especially if there's a chance you will not be able to afford another set of tires before the winter, because going through a winter that contains snow on any of the tires I recommended to you and living to tell the tale is not as certain as you could imagine.

Go with all seasons, take good care of them in the summer (don't beat on them ever, because they're usually too soft to take the beating and not soft enough for the snow) and keep some of the tread for the winter and it should get you around. If you'll burn them up in the summer, they will do absolutely nothing in the snow because you will kill the small "canals" in the tread that are there only for the snow.

When you're financially capable and ready to pull the trigger on a tire that'll shine the evo above the average car, hit the forums again and there'll be me or someone else to act like an idiot, give you some lectures and in the end, help yo to your final decision

P.S. If you still decide on a summer tire but want a better price, look in to Hankook Ventus V12 Evo, Pirelli P Zero Nero, Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta... They are not the best tires on the market, they however will most likely leave any all season tire trailing in the dust in anything but snow.

P.S. #2
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
I have been doing a lot of research the last few nights and the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta is likely the tire I will go with. I have read that it outperforms both the RE050A and the Pilot Sport PS2. Obviously that will vary from one opinion to the next, but for the money they are supposed to be quite good and have a wear rating of 280 which is nice so the tire will last a bit longer than other summer tires.