Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Question about alignment and getting the "free" 1 degree negative camber

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about alignment and getting the "free" 1 degree negative camber

So i'm thinking of purchasing the firestone lifetime alignment...i've had one before on my nissan maxima and it worked great...I got like 8 alignments in 2 years cuz I went through tires and suspension parts like crazy...haha...but I'm wondering if its right for the EVO...according to what I see on my EVO, it looks very similar to other cars I've worked on....Macpherson struts and tie rods on both sides...doesn't seem that bad

Now I wanna try out that free negative camber mod....I know you have to flip the stock camber bolt so that the white paint is facing OUT the car....now when I go try this, do I just need a breaker bar for taking off the wheels...and a 19mm for the camber bolt? I don't need to have any other tools or remove anything else right?

Also when I go in for the alignment after flipping the camber bolt, do I specifically ask them for ZERO toe?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

i would say just put it back the way they are and get it aligned... better safe than sorry. as for toe, you can tell them to leave it stock settings.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

Depends on what your trying to do with the car...are u trying to track it? autocross it? DD it?....base all your alignment settings on that...as for the toe setting unless your going to be autocrossing or tracking it in the new future your gonna want to set that at zero for sure...it will eat up your tires if u DD with any amount of toe
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TurboTim06
Depends on what your trying to do with the car...are u trying to track it? autocross it? DD it?....base all your alignment settings on that...as for the toe setting unless your going to be autocrossing or tracking it in the new future your gonna want to set that at zero for sure...it will eat up your tires if u DD with any amount of toe
yes I plan to track it...so if I get the alignment sheet from firestone...and I see theres some toe in it (but still within factory)...do I tell them to take it back and try harder? or is a LITTLE bit of toe okay? like 0.02 or 0.03?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steven88
yes I plan to track it...so if I get the alignment sheet from firestone...and I see theres some toe in it (but still within factory)...do I tell them to take it back and try harder? or is a LITTLE bit of toe okay? like 0.02 or 0.03?
well as long as it's within factory specs then id say your fine...i dont kno your current setup but if you plan to track it you may want to just invest in a good set of coilovers/camber plates...for the track i would say 1/8" of toe-out on the front would be good but adjust to the feel of the car
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

well as long as it's within factory specs then id say your fine...i dont kno your current setup but if you plan to track it you may want to just invest in a good set of coilovers/camber plates...for the track i would say 1/8" of toe-out on the front would be good but adjust to the feel of the car
well I only tracked once and I'm still getting the feel for the car...right now I just want to invest my money on maintenance and brake pads/tires until I get the hang of tracking....I don't have the money to drop $2k into coils at the moment...

I was just hoping to go back in about 2 months...with new camber settings because I found out the evo x has a camber bolt stock...I think my camber was all fu*ked up at the track because my tire looked like it was rolling over (positive camber)....
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
stop listening to turbo tim (no offense but you're asking the right questions and giving the wrong advice)

Get the -2 and try and get as close to 0 toe as possible but don't sweat it if it's off .02 (thats like a human hair) unless you're going out there for the money

The important thing is to have each side balanced.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
.for the track i would say 1/8" of toe-out on the front would be good but adjust to the feel of the car
This will EAT your tires on the track so be wary of doing it (been there done that wasted the set of tires). Try with 0 toe first and then make the decision to try a bit of toe out at an autocross or something before committing the tires at a track day... just to see if you like toe out.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

Note that 0 tow tends to feel squirmy on highways and tends to do a good job of finding ruts and crowns in the road. But that's just the nature of it. My current numbers are -1.7 camber. 0 tow front and -1.2 camber and 0 tow In the rear. Tire were has been pretty even considering the milage I put on them and the abuse on spirited jaunts through the woods

Last edited by heel_touge; Mar 14, 2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
How is zero toe going to be any more squirmy on highway than toe out? Or are you comparing this to slight toe in that is within factory specs?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

You want the rear to have a slight toe in. Yes its still within spec but it will make the car feel more neutral at speeds.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any kind of toe settings other than zero will eat up tires fast. On stock suspension and stock tires, I had a little rear toe in from the factory that ate up my stock tires in 6-7K miles (daily driven), granted they are stock 180 treadwear Advans, but still... For winter, I got some 400 treadwear all season tires since they would last a long time and I'd only use them in the winter. With the same rear toe in and one tire rotation from front to rear, those 400 treadwear tires were about 3/4 worn in about 12K miles.

I lowered the car with Eibach sprinngs and went for an alignment. Again, my car is a daily driver, so when I got my alignement done, I had -1.4° camber in the front and -1° in the rear and 0 toe at all four corners. My BFG's I ran all last summer show no wear at all and those 3/4 worn all seasons I just ran all this winter show no more wear than what was worn already.

I drive on the highway/expressway just about every day and the car with zero toe is perfectly stable, not squirmy one bit, and I don't see why it would be. If all four tires are pointed forward, the car will always want to go forward. It's when you have some toe out that the car will want to turn both directions at once, which can make it feel squirmy at higher speeds.

Unless you're serious into track racing or have an unlimited tire budget, zero toe at all four corners is the way to go.

Last edited by ScottSpeed21; Mar 15, 2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 02:24 AM
Evolving Member

is there anyway to adjust rear camber without going coilovers? i take it as a no...unlike the fronts where you can flip the stock camber bolt
Old Mar 17, 2010, 05:28 AM

Rear toe and camber is fully adjustable on these cars: see the above thread in the sticky..

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...fications.html
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by simulatedwood
Rear toe and camber is fully adjustable on these cars: see the above thread in the sticky..

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...fications.html
i dont see anywhere about rear toe being adjustable?

Quick Reply: Question about alignment and getting the "free" 1 degree negative camber