Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

How often should I bleed or flush the brake fluid? Re-use old ATE fluid?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2010, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How often should I bleed or flush the brake fluid? Re-use old ATE fluid?

Just curious how often you guys are flushing or bleeding the brake fluid? I do occasional track days and autocross, and still am running stock brakes. Last year, I flushed the system with ATE brake fluid. Should I bleed or flush again before the season starts up? Also, if just bleeding the system, can I re-use the remaining ATE fluid (in a metal can) that was leftover from last year? Or is it better to pick up a new can to avoid any moisture contamination issues during storage?
Old Mar 19, 2010, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I recommend at least 1x a year (start of the season is a good time) for a flush if you track/autox/get the fluid hot frequently.

Buy new. That fluid likely has some moisture in it. (yes I know it sucks... I hate topping off with a brand new bottle of $29 RF-650, but I keep it as a top off... but use new for flushes.

ETA: this is one of the reasons I switched to the RF-650. The vendor on here claimed that you didn't need to bleed or anything for a year. I decided to take the challenge. I flushed the system last july/august. I bled them a couple weeks ago before the NASA event and the fluid was a little brown, but not terrible and there were no bubbles. Car stopped like a champ all weekend.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I will plan to flush the fluid soon, although I'm tempted to wait until I need new pads (hopefully not sooner than the end of the summer).