Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What do you folks clean your wheels with?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What do you folks clean your wheels with?

What products do you guys/gals use on your stock or aftermarket wheels to clean them? What is the easiest/safest solution with the best results(without a pressure washer)? Also something that will be safe on the caliper paint so it doesn't fade after a while.

I stopped over PepBoys a little while ago and purchased a Meguiars spray that is supposed to be safe. Will probably use it tomorrow and see what the results are like. Anyone here have any recommendations?

*I know there are probably many threads about this, but I also noticed that it seems like there is a new automotive cleaning product every week. I'd also like to get NEW opinions & thoughts.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

P21S! it's little expensive, but it works really well.

http://www.amazon.com/High-Performan...=pd_sbs_auto_1
Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

I also use P21S. It's the perfect wheel cleaner. I got the Gel version and I let it sit for a few minutes. With light dust, all it takes is to spray the cleaner on and use a hose to wash it off. When it's heavier, I use a daytona brush to get inside the wheel and clean the calipers.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

3 votes for P21S (gel). Check it out at detailers domain, they are a vendor here...
Old Apr 10, 2010, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

if my wheels are pretty messed up with this cut through some tough marks?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xtmx
3 votes for P21S (gel). Check it out at detailers domain, they are a vendor here...
I'm going to have to try that next. Thanks for the suggestions.

*UPDATE*

So I washed my car yesterday morning before going to the Sandyhook meet.
Tried this stuff out, follow the direction like your supposed to. It does work pretty well getting 80-90% of the wheels clean. I was impressed. Although, it couldn't get the build-up of brake dust out even after multiple applications on each wheel. You know, those little chunks of black build-up? Those are a b*tch to get out anyway.
That being said, I went through a whole bottle after applying it three times on each wheel. Stuff goes fast. Time to try something new.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:54 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I use this: Turtle Wax wheel cleaner

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-4...1094816&sr=1-3

Works pretty well, but with heavy dust I use the brush. Let us know what you find.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use some spray on wheel cleaner, Armor All instead of that Meguirs stuff. With a pressure washer it cleans the wheels up perfectly and takes off all the brake dust that gets caked on the wheels. I would assume with a normal garden hose you may need to hand wash it a little.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:38 PM

WWIXMR, I use the same Meguiars All Wheel Cleaner. but generally it is only needed if the wheels are absolutely filthy. If the wheels are cleaned at each wash, all you need is a rag and soap/water.

I only recommend using the Meguiars stuff (or any abrasive cleaner), when you rotate the tires. Cleaning the wheel is easier when it is off the car, plus you don't chance getting any of the cleaner on the calipers (which can wreck the nice red paint).

Calipers clean up easily with a paper towel or rag when exposed during rotation. Just my two cents.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jack the car up, pop off the wheels, water and a microfiber cloth do wonders, takes like 1/2 hour
Old Apr 13, 2010, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

I use the same soap I use on my car but I wash them at least once a week to make sure there is no dust build up. I also use detail spray and wax.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

I was cleaning my summer rims (TE 37s) before I put them back on and they are a flat grey. It is a royal pain to get them clean. All the dirt comes off when I wash them, but they look stained.

They never looked as good as when I bought them, so I was experimenting with different cleaners and I raided my wife's cleaning supplies and I found this sponge looking device called magic eraser. I used it with the same stuff I wash my car with and I can't believe how well it worked. Rims look brand new again.

it even took off the tar deposits off the inside and glue residue from the wheel weights. I don't know how this works on non-powdercoated rims, but all I can say is wow!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by geezevox
I was cleaning my summer rims (TE 37s) before I put them back on and they are a flat grey. It is a royal pain to get them clean. All the dirt comes off when I wash them, but they look stained.

They never looked as good as when I bought them, so I was experimenting with different cleaners and I raided my wife's cleaning supplies and I found this sponge looking device called magic eraser. I used it with the same stuff I wash my car with and I can't believe how well it worked. Rims look brand new again.

it even took off the tar deposits off the inside and glue residue from the wheel weights. I don't know how this works on non-powdercoated rims, but all I can say is wow!
+1 on the magic eraser