Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ferodo DS3000 Pads on Stock Rotors, Warped?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferodo DS3000 Pads on Stock Rotors, Warped?

I have done 3 trackdays on these pads (and factory rotors with about 10k miles on them - I also did 3 more track events with factory pads). The first trackday was buttonwillow, didn't really notice much. The second (with the 3000's and 2500's in the rear) was las vegas outside road course. By session 4 the steering wheel was shaking pretty bad and by session 5 the steering wheel was shaking really bad almost jerking it out of my hands. So I had the rotors turned/resurfaced, and was back at LVMS this weekend. Started out great for my first 2-3 sessions but then the same thing happening with the rotors, by the end of the day, shaking violently

I'm just wondering if this is normal for these pads? Do they like to eat the rotors?

I'm thinking of switching to ST-43's for the next time I need race pads, I've heard good things about them.

Oh I'm using Motul 600 fluid, SS lines, and star spec tires.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

this is normal with any race type brake pad and stock rotors...after turning them the problem will most likely get worse again especially after a track day due to less heat dissipation...go with a good set of slotted rotors
Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the advice. I would love to go with a 2 pc rotor in the front like DBA or Girodisc, but that's out of my price range. Any other rotors you might recomend closer to my budget?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

I had the same problem with those pads. Ran them in the rain at the track for two days straight. I switched out my pads for raysbestos and girodisc two piece and never had a problem again. I also learned that If I drive around the streets with my track pads cold that my track pads will actually clean the pad transfer off the rotors which may have been my problem with the 3000s making my brakes shutter to begin with and they may have never been warped. I wouldnt know for I originally had them turned at a local garage after they started to shutter and the machine shop they were taken to messed them up worse so I threw those rotors out. lessons learned
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by c_reber
Thanks for the advice. I would love to go with a 2 pc rotor in the front like DBA or Girodisc, but that's out of my price range. Any other rotors you might recomend closer to my budget?
The Centric Premiums are priced well and we stock them.

The dba 4000's are also available.