Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

H&R sport springs review

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2010, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up H&R sport springs review

Two things not really harsh on the street on regular road imperfections no big potholes yet.
Second thing they make the car handle more neutral more poised and more controlled.

How do I know? After we installed these springs Friday night I went home to eat and take a shower and sleep for 5 hours. Woke up at 5am and drove to Tirerack in South Bend to autocross with Windy City Miata.
On the way to Tire Rack in Indiana we traveled on the a highway that was under construction and the new springs worked considering the road quality and all the bumps and holes we encountered.

I have been at the same track last year and the only thing new on the car are the springs. I was able to be more precise on every corner and the body roll has decreased significantly. Got a first place in my group W but to be fair the competitions was scarce a few Audis a S4 stage 4 among those.

Summery: I case you were on the borderline with what springs to buy and will they improve the handling of your car than I say H&R sports are as good as you can get.

Note: the car is lower and you will have to avoid speed bumps at all cost because of ground clearance. The same goes for steep driveways and watch out parking the car front is low now.

(Other springs considered Swift, Works, Tein, Eibach...)
Attached Thumbnails H&R sport springs review-before5.jpg   H&R sport springs review-after5.jpg  

Last edited by toshibakoludo; May 5, 2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old May 2, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

That's good to know, thanks!

I'll be having my H&R springs and Whiteline RCA kit installed real soon.

Did you have the car aligned before you went to the track, and before the springs had time to settle? If you did get it aligned, did you have any issues and what were your specs?

Pics please!

Last edited by DarwinX; May 2, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old May 2, 2010, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

No problems mate. I will post pictures tomorrow. I saw that you bought yours too enjoy them. Got a lot of complements at the auto cross from a lot of people about the car and the stance.
No time for an alignment yet but I will get it in the next few weeks. I don't drive the car that much at all.
One thing we did do is flip the camber bolt and got more camber. No real specs yet but i will guess 2.8 negative camber or so.
Old May 4, 2010, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Any pics????
Old May 5, 2010, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Picture of before and after I don't have a good before but u can see the after.
Old May 5, 2010, 07:02 PM

great to know especialy that i ordered these today.
Old May 14, 2010, 07:53 PM

any updated opinions on these??
Old May 15, 2010, 06:20 AM

Did you end up having to run any crazy Camber numbers? These are one of the sets of springs I'm considering but I don't want to have end up with weird tire wear because of camber issues.
Old May 15, 2010, 09:42 AM

i had H&R's on my previous car, loved them, but they sagged horribly in the rear after a year..i wonder if this is a common thing with H&R or maybe it was just the vehicle..i was seriously considering them for the evo because i still loved the performance for a spring
Old May 16, 2010, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gtagsr

i had H&R's on my previous car, loved them, but they sagged horribly in the rear after a year..i wonder if this is a common thing with H&R or maybe it was just the vehicle
I had H&R springs on my old Mustang for two years before I sold the car, and I had no issues with sag in the rear.
Old May 16, 2010, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gtagsr
i had H&R's on my previous car, loved them, but they sagged horribly in the rear after a year..i wonder if this is a common thing with H&R or maybe it was just the vehicle..i was seriously considering them for the evo because i still loved the performance for a spring
Probably was your car, but at $200...just buy another set, haha.
Old May 16, 2010, 05:03 PM

I'm thinking of changing out my springs but don't want to get it too low, are you saying they are realy low or you just have to be more carfull about speed bumps and stuff
Old May 17, 2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by DaveGSR
Probably was your car, but at $200...just buy another set, haha.
thats exactly what i did lmao
Old May 17, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the review! But to be fair, you changed front negative camber while installing the springs, and also did not get an alignment (so your toe may be off from before too). So I don't think it's fair to say the springs improved autocross handling. It could be the camber or the toe contributing more to the change in handling. I'd be curious to see a review after you get an alignment and have a chance to autocross again. Many people have told me that springs alone don't really help if your goal is improved handling, but I'm too cheap to buy a set of good coilovers
Old May 17, 2010, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LaXGSR
Thanks for the review! But to be fair, you changed front negative camber while installing the springs, and also did not get an alignment (so your toe may be off from before too). So I don't think it's fair to say the springs improved autocross handling. It could be the camber or the toe contributing more to the change in handling. I'd be curious to see a review after you get an alignment and have a chance to autocross again. Many people have told me that springs alone don't really help if your goal is improved handling, but I'm too cheap to buy a set of good coilovers
The springs definitely improved the handling. They make the car more poised at the limit. The car now feels more neutral and does not squat or roll as it did with OEM springs. I guess you can chose not to believe but than you would be wrong.

Quick Reply: H&R sport springs review