Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clicking noise on right side when wheels turned?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2010, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking noise on right side when wheels turned?

So my MR X is lowered on BC BR Coilovers, with about a two finger gap between fender and wheel. When Im rolling with the front wheels turned left or right I get a clicking noise from the drivers side and its not the tires rubbing on the plastic..... I am running 18 x 9.5 Cen28s with 35/265/R18s.....help!
Old May 12, 2010, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like a drive axle to me. can u make a video of it and can u hear it inside the car?
Old May 12, 2010, 06:48 PM

ya thats what I was thinking, but the car only had 1000 miles on it when it started doing it. Yea you can hear it from inside the car....more prevalent when the window is down.
Old May 13, 2010, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

tighten the two screws in the middle of front strut tower bar. they not tight enough from factory and cause the clicking noise when body rolls
Old May 13, 2010, 06:54 PM

i have the same problem.. axle clickin but the damn mitsu morons cant seem to hear it... i have to put a loud speaker up to it
Old May 14, 2010, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo_X_87
i have the same problem.. axle clickin but the damn mitsu morons cant seem to hear it... i have to put a loud speaker up to it
like i said, check the screws are tight enough on strut tower bar.
Old May 17, 2010, 03:18 AM
Evolving Member

Bump for how/ if you were able to figure things out.
Old May 17, 2010, 05:54 PM

not the strut bolts...........tried that......deff coming from axel/wheel area...
Old May 17, 2010, 07:40 PM

If its not the axle, Brake pads can simulate the same noise of an axle going bad when the lubeable parts the brake pads ride on get dry...This usually gets worse the more warped the rotors are as the pads constantly move back and forth as the warped rotor slightly goes in and out. I know you said it happens when you turn which this is probably not the case, but something to check. You can eliminate this by very slightly hitting the brakes in which you would hear the click....once you hit the brakes hard the noise will go away and usually not ever click when under hard breaking. Just an idea for ya since its not an axle or strut bar mount. All though it really sounds like the axle from your complaint.
Old May 18, 2010, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TeegsMR
not the strut bolts...........tried that......deff coming from axel/wheel area...
from what you stated is hard to tell whats going on.

you saying the clicking noise happen when the car body roll left and right, so that makes sense that the two screws (i think they are 14mm) in the middle of front strut tower bar are not tighten enough. because that happened to my car before and took me a while to figure out.

if you saying the noise coming from driver side, do you think its from strut/the new coilovers you have? i never installed or had coilovers so i dont know how it works comparing to springs and struts. but it could be the top plate position is not right and cause the spring slightly move and you can hear the noise. can you hear the noise at low/high speed? did it happen after you install coilovers?

i will definitely look at strut/springs/sway bars/endlinks before axel.