Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

I need tire help ASAP please oh please.

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LapDance
Sorry to be short, but I don't understand your logic. You want an ultra performance all season because you dont drive fast???
I don't necessarily need ultra performance, that is just all I saw on the site.
Old May 17, 2010, 07:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
depends on what your definition of an all season tyre is..

here in australia, we dont get snow or ice...

so all season just has to be able to drive in the rain

thus direzza star specs (they are dunlops AND they are on tirerack) are a pretty good all-season choice.

BUT BUT BUT

in the usa - presumably you get snow, so really you need something else..

there isn't really 1 tyre that will do snow+ice+dry twisties...

which is why most people either dont drive in winter or get 2 sets of tyres...

you will need to ask yourself what winter conditions you have, and how often you will be driving in them...

personally I would get the starspecs and then another set of rims or dont drive in snow...
Old May 17, 2010, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Also check out the Goodyear Eagle GTs. 30k on mine now, will get 40k out of them. Grippy tire for an all-season.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position or the Potenza RE92s.

For you guys recommending Star Specs, I'm going to be blunt, you guys are freakin IDIOTS.

Did you not read the request for ALL SEASON TIRES? Want them to last 40K miles? Just looking at his location, he's in Rolla, Missouri. Hence, it gets cold and SNOWS there.

Stars Specs are a max performance summer tire that does not work well in cold temps, nor snow, nor last even half of 40k miles.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
yeah well i did mention the snow
Old May 18, 2010, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, get one of the all-season Bridgestones. The RE-92, however, is a very old tire design/compound and sucks pretty badly in all conditions.

Just realize that whatever you put on your car for "all seasons" is going to be a compromise, especially in the snow. If you really get enough snow that you "need a tank to get up the driveway", I would strongly suggest finding a set of cheap steel wheels and putting some snow tires on there. Even cheap snow tires are going to be in a different league than all-seasons.

And changing wheels isn't difficult at all, if you're afraid of that. Takes almost no time at all.

I'm just glad I live in Texas again. Lived in Colorado for a few years. Beautiful, but hated hated hated the snow and cold.
Old May 18, 2010, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by weneversleep
Yeah, get one of the all-season Bridgestones. The RE-92, however, is a very old tire design/compound and sucks pretty badly in all conditions.

Just realize that whatever you put on your car for "all seasons" is going to be a compromise, especially in the snow. If you really get enough snow that you "need a tank to get up the driveway", I would strongly suggest finding a set of cheap steel wheels and putting some snow tires on there. Even cheap snow tires are going to be in a different league than all-seasons.

And changing wheels isn't difficult at all, if you're afraid of that. Takes almost no time at all.

I'm just glad I live in Texas again. Lived in Colorado for a few years. Beautiful, but hated hated hated the snow and cold.
Thats what I did. Thanks all that helped. I bought 245/40R-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions and got 2 day shipping for free because I let them know how long I had waited.
Old May 18, 2010, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

How do I close a thread I opened?
Old May 18, 2010, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus I have a set of those and man they last forever and great grip for all weather
Old May 18, 2010, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by imdrew12
How do I close a thread I opened?
You can't, just let it die or pm a Mod.
Old May 18, 2010, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by raytrix
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus I have a set of those and man they last forever and great grip for all weather
Agree'd. If I didn't care for maximum summer/winter performance with dedicated wheels I'd choose those.
Old May 19, 2010, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

He said he need all seasons why would he get Star Specs?
Old May 19, 2010, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Get the star specs for spring/summer/fall and get some Blizzak WS60's for winter. You'll get the best of both worlds and thank me in the end. Screw All-Seasons.

Crap I didn't realize you already bought tires

Last edited by pghdsm; May 19, 2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old May 20, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

imdrew12,

If you want "good tires", not cheap tires, firstly, plan on two sets. Good A/S tires are actually probably cheaper than good summer extreme performance tires. They are DEFINITELY cheaper when it comes to total cost because the worst A/S tires will last twice as long as any ultra performance summer tires. It's the nature of gummy tires.

If you want the BEST summer extreme performance, the Advan's can't be beat, but then again, neither can their price. Nothing is more expensive. Like quite a few before me, I vouch over and over and over for the Dunlop Star spec Z1. Pretty good price really, 1/2 the Advans and I had a hard time telling a signficant performance drop off. Also rated well by SCCA and on this form are the Nitto NT05's. If you search, you can find those for $25 lower than the Tirerack Z1 prices, and I hear those are pretty dang great too.

For A/S, you should just know that you're dealing with a lot more tread open space to allow for rain and snow to be embedded without lifting you up, and as a result, the rubber can shift more than a summer tread, thus you'll feel like the handling is crappy, which it is. And the A/S tend to not worry so much about a super duper stiff sidewall. They'll deform going sideways over 80mph and scare you into making little brown spots driving at the same speed you drove your factory OEM tires at. I'm reasonably happy with my "snow" tires, Yoko W4S's. They don't have great performance dry at all, but are pretty ok on snow and very confidence inspiring on rainy asphalt. -- oh, and they were $120 and will probably last 35-40k miles. I hate to complain about so-so performance when I consider those factors.
Old May 20, 2010, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pghdsm
Get the star specs for spring/summer/fall and get some Blizzak WS60's for winter. You'll get the best of both worlds and thank me in the end. Screw All-Seasons.

Crap I didn't realize you already bought tires
It's good advice for him when he realizes that he really does want a summer tire because those pole positions are gonna scare him into browning his shorts.

Of course imdrew12, if you don't scare yourself, you're not driving your car at the speeds it was built to be driven at. Not a dig, just saying those Advans were put on the car to achieve 0.99g. That kind of cornering isn't for everyone. But it's ALMOST good enough for me!

Quick Reply: I need tire help ASAP please oh please.