Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bridgestone RE-11... Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I definitely recommend considering the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08s as well.. However, at this level of tires, you can rest assured that you will be extremely satisfied with either the RE-11s or AD08s. It isn't always true, but in the case of these two tires, you truly do get what you pay for.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
The Advan AD08s are great tires too. I think there's a distinct difference between them and the RE-11s though; I think the AD08s may have more ultimate grip (based on others experiences, never tried them myself), but the RE-11s ride better.

Pure track car? Try out the AD08s. Street use? RE-11s. IMO.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
The Advan AD08s are great tires too. I think there's a distinct difference between them and the RE-11s though; I think the AD08s may have more ultimate grip (based on others experiences, never tried them myself), but the RE-11s ride better.

I am curious if anyone you know has actually owned both on the same car? I find the AD08s to be significantly quieter than the factory Advans, and seem to ride better as well. I am definitely interested if there is a tangible difference/improvement out there, though I can't complain about the grip so far!
Old Jun 8, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

IMNSHO, the RE-11 is the best street tire that you can currently buy.

And, it works quite nicely on the track. Almost a DOT R-compound. Just make sure you have enough negative camber.

Don't expect more than 8-10K miles on the street, much much less if you're tracking.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel the AD08's have been excellent on the street in terms of minimal road noise and decent ride comfort. This is with 275/30-19 sizing on 19x9.5" wheels and BC Racing ER series Coilovers (10k Springs F/R). Even with them set at 20 out of 30 front and rear for compression and rebound I've found this combo reasonable on the street. Sure it can be a firm ride but that is more a function of the suspension, adjusting the shocks down a bit it feels almost too easy on the backside.

Likely AD08's have the slightly better grip based on tests and reviews in the dry, although in the wet the more responsive turn in can make them trickier in the wet at the limits but it really depends on how the suspension is setup. Tire wear seems in line for them to last around 15k miles, although at -2.5* front camber the inside edge is going to be the first spot to wear out, likely -2.0* would make it last a bit longer.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 06:30 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

I'm running AD08s and they are great. I had the RE01R before and liked that as well. Can't go wrong with AD08 or RE11 - both are low noise, high grip tires.

The other tires that can grip with these tend to be not as friendly on the street (more noise, harsher ride).
Old Jun 17, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hiboost
I settled on the Yokohama AD08 myself but those Bridgestones were a close 2nd. If they had the right tire sizes in 19" the Dunlop Starspecs offer almost as good performance for quite a bit less cost. You can't really go wrong with any of those three for a dedicated summer tire on a car that see some track time.
Why did you choose the Yoko AD08's over the RE-11's? The stock Yokohoma's I have are really noisy... and I think subconsciously that was worrying me about buying the Yoko AD08's.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
If you're interested in that class of tire check out the Sumitomo HTR Z III.
How are the Sumitomo's? I heard some good comments about them... but they tended to be from people who were cheap! People who bought more expensive tires in the past seemed to be more critical of the Sumitomo's.

Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by beb
Loved them, very sticky tires. Only thing I can consider a downer (not really a downer tho) would be how quiet they are, I like to rely a bit on squeal when theyre about to break loose on track. Oh and despite tread rating, if you drive a bit conservatively, they last for quite a long time for daily driving!
lol! Seeing how I'd be using these tires to go to work... being quiet would be a good thing.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

This is what I've been lead to believe so far...

Since I'd be doing primarily street driving with some track days... it seems like the Bridgestone RE-11's are the best choice.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Actually, for max street grip, I'd say the slightly softer sidewalls of the RE-11s might make them better than the AD08s in ultimate grip as they are able to absorb the bumps.

There's a set of corners around work that's slightly bumpy mid-corner. On the stock Yokos, the car would skitter across the surface due to the overly stiff sidewalls. When I had the RE-01Rs on, the sidewalls were able to absorb the imperfections and maintain grip.

From my experience, Yokos tend to have super stiff sidewalls and get noisy, and Bridgestones are a step softer in the sidewalls and stay quieter. This spans from my driving on Yoko Intermediates waaaay back in the day (~1998). They rode stiff and got loud as they wore out. From there, went to Bridgestone RE730s, then three sets of S03s. Bought the Evo with the stock Yokos which were the stiffest tire I'd ever been on, then to RE-01Rs and now RE-11s.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:13 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

The AD08 is actually very good on the street. The AD07 had some issues but they have a new compound on the AD08 which make it very good. Quiet and sucks up bumps very well equivalent to RE11 - way better than the stock A13 tires. The A13 IMHO sucks for grip and comfort.

Ultimate grip is a tad higher in the AD08 than the RE11 but the RE11 is more street friendly as always. Between the two, it will be really hard to notice the difference.

As for Sumitomo HTR Z3... those arent even in the same class. Great for your daily driver but that's about it.

Last edited by ZK; Jun 19, 2010 at 12:15 AM.