Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

OEM Advans vs...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Advans vs...

I've searched all over and I'm curious as to how the stock advans stack up against some of the more popular replacement tires including:

- direzza star spec
- hankook v12 evo
- nitto nt05

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to get a pair of stock take offs or if it is an upgrade to get one of these replacement tires. I would have thought the advans would be great considering the price and the fact that they were made for the evo, but I see so many people taking these off as soon as they get the car home and selling them so I guess thats confusing to me. Thanks
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked my advans while I had them, I initially didn't like the Star Spec, because i thought i wasn't getting as much grip through turns but in reality it was my ASC that was the problem and after turning it off the Star Spec was just an amazing tire. They did get hot during a 20min session at Infineon this weekend and started to gum up a little. I'm absolutely sold on these tires, i wont upgrade out of this tire until I am making the car a trailer queen.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:34 PM

thanks for the feedback. do u think they were a big upgrade to the stock advan? the star specs are sometimes double the price of what you can buy stock take offs for!
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Thats true, but what happens when you cant get stock takes offs anymore are you going to pay 300+ a tire?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:39 PM

well then I will have no choice I guess, but for now do you think the Star Specs are worth that much more over stock? Just trying to get a feel for whether or not I would be getting my moneys worth. I would gladly pay it if people say it really is an upgrade
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Well here is a question for you then, what are you going to do with the car? Track it? DD only? Auto X?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:44 PM

yes yes and yes
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

The Star Specs were all the rage last year for a track tire, SO i know there a good tire, the NT05 is still a good tire and I hear of a lot of people running them. So out of those 3 tires, its going to be cost and availability that's going to be your deciding factor.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:52 PM

do you think star spec will outperform the stock advan at the track, at the autox, and on the street? its my daily driver as well so it needs to be good in the wet and in the comfort dept
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah i think they would. And I havent noticed them being any louder or anything.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

I loved that advans while they were on the car and ran them into the ground....got 18k miles out of those badboys before I had to slap something new on. I did a hell of a lot of searching and researching before I bought new tires and ultimately bought the cheapest rubber that was availble on the market at the time. Hell I can't even tell you the brand....guess what...I still dead hook at the track and take corners just as quickly as I did on the stock advans and if the current treadware keeps going the way its going I'll get 30k out of these tires before I start looking for new ones. Long story short, they don't have to be expensive to be good.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

if you plan on comparing brand new advan a13c ($333 per tire) versus brand new star specs....then to me the clear winner is star specs....this is price to performance ratio...

if you plan to get used advan a13c tires on the FS section...then it can be another story...sometimes I see killer deals on stock advans with 75% life and people are just giving them away....these stock advan a13c are SUPER Sticky for what they are....I upgraded to Kumho XS tires (which are as fast if not faster than star specs) and didn't feel a huge leap over stock advans...

another tire worth considering, NT05....I wouldn't put the Hankook V12s in the same category...they are great tires nevertheless....just not in the same league of stickyness as the NT05 or Star Specs
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

on a roadcourse the stock advans will do slightly better than the others, however, spending a grand or more on street tires is dumb. Im on prolly my 10th set of starspecs and that is my streettire of choice for years to come. 650 a set? U cant go wrong with such an amazing street tire
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:38 AM

right well u can get the stock advan take offs with like 100 miles on them or less for under 500 bucks. that is the whole point of this thread. i guess i dont understand why anyone is spending 800 bucks or more on star specs unless they really are that much better
Old Jul 18, 2010, 05:40 PM

Hankook Ventus RS-3's are getting RAVE reviews out at the autocross...

Quick Reply: OEM Advans vs...