Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Coilovers - too rough for daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilovers - too rough for daily driver?

I am seriously considering buying a new X but one thing I want to do immediately is give the car a drop so it doesn't look like I'm going offroading. I don't want the car slammed, but I do want the drop to be noticeable.

More importantly, I want to preserve the handling of the stock car as much as possible. I don't mind a slightly rougher ride as long as that preserves quick turn-in, minimizes body roll, and overall keeps the car handling at least as good as it does stock.

I've contemplated going with Swift springs but I am not sure if those work well with the stock shocks.

I've also thought of going with coilovers but honestly I'm worried that it will turn my new car into a poorly-handling rattletrap.

I really like the way the car handles out of the box - just want to eliminate some of that nasty wheel gap!

FYI - car will never see a track, I just want a good-handling street car.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:23 AM
Evolving Member

the way you describe it, it seems that you are more geared towards just springs... whichever ones you get will be a lot better than stock... a bit stiffer than stock... if you want to corner better, get a rear sways and put it on the middle settings...

some high end coilovers make your car feel like its still riding on stock, but once you have it dialed, its a different animal... i for one has not experienced these, but the way others describe their coilovers, it seems these way... i know that either JRZ, AST, Ohlins, are high end and it will make your car ride like stock, but once dialed, its totally different. but for you, id rather get just springs and rear sways... save your money for other mods.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

just get springs, swift and Eibach is good enough for you
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

You could do the HKS Hipermax III, those are the ones i'm planning on going with. I'm on the same boat as you.. from all the HW i've done and reports i've read and the lowest setting they seem to be a stock-ish ride.

I was going to do a stage 1 type upgrade consisting for sways and springs. But i just figured i'd really appreciate the flexibility of a coilovers system... just some thoughts.

er. i hear the Apexi S1's are nice and stockish as well, and they're quite reasonably priced at 1.5k.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like others have said it sounds like you should just go with springs. If you do decide to go with coilovers, try to avoid coilovers with pillowball upper mounts or solid upper mounts. Most of the increase in ride roughness comes from the the pillowball upper mounts or any solid upper mounts. Try to find ones that will stick with the stock rubber upper mounts, as they will allow up and down deflection and absorb a lot of shock from the road.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Swifts, rear sway, Whiteline RCK. Great combo for the $ and it'll handle amazing. I really should have skipped coils, myself.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

The X has GF210 springs on there by tanabe... and I like it.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mlomker
Swifts, rear sway, Whiteline RCK. Great combo for the $ and it'll handle amazing. I really should have skipped coils, myself.

So you're feeling is to have skipped coilovers and just do springs/sways? how many times a year would you say you track? and hot about issues with premature strut wear?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by love67
just get springs, swift and Eibach is good enough for you
+1 I have the Eibach springs and my car is low but not too low and I have to drive through construction sites at work on the reg plus the driveway at my house is super steep. I do have the Whiteline sways (they have 3 adjustments) and they rule. Its a little stiffer than stock but not much.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

If you want a near stockish type ride for coilovers I would recommend the HKS HiperMax III (not sports). I know ZK loves them, and from what I've seen and felt they are not only smooth riding with ride hight adjust ability but they seem to be built very solid and valved perfectly for the street @ the price point.

I know Speed Element carries them and Devin (owner of SE) raves about them for the price as a solid street/sometimes spirited drive/track coilover. I'd hit them up and let them know your goals suspension wise and what you plan to do with the car and he can recommend a great setup that will satisfy your suspension needs @ a great price (seriously)!

Last edited by HR2L; Jul 16, 2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

just get springs. low cost investment. since your never going to the track should be good enough unless you just want to spend money for no reason, get a set of coil-overs with softer springs, then you can tell your friends you just spent $1000+ on suspension.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
springs + sway and call it a day
doesn't seem you'll use the full benefit of a coilover

dj
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Perrin has the new H&R coilovers out for the X. They seem to be perfect for what you're describing since springs will take away valuable strut travel.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Nobody with input regarding premature strut wear when using springs...?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

i dont think this guy will need to worry about strut travel or premature..........strut wear.
i think he just want it to look better and handle a little better.

Quick Reply: Coilovers - too rough for daily driver?