Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake noise common on evo x?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake noise common on evo x?

Ive had my x for a couple months now and the brakes have been squealing on and off. The pads look good from visual inspection so I think its just from the dust? Is this common on X's? How can you tell the difference between squeaking from dust and the warning indicator on the pads?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its normal. if it bothers too much, take the pads out and grease the backing plates and sides
Old Aug 18, 2010, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not normal. Bead in is very important which can lead to squealing amongst other issues.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 02:31 AM

mine from the factory has squealed every once in a awhile that slow squeal and then let off the brake and press again and goes away.. I have grease on mine and the dealer looked at it twice and said it was good The service manager and the owner both own evo x and gave me a ride and had slight squeal like mine.

here in ctx all the evo x have the slight squeal we are use to it and all on stock pads as well
Old Aug 20, 2010, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Yea its normal if its once in awhile.. If you indicator hits the rotor then it will squeal non-stop whenever you press the brakes.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
If it is a squeal from a slow stop than it is just brake dust or other junk on your brakes.

If it is really bothering you, and you don't track it, you can buy ceramic pads or maybe other performance pads that don't make noise.. i.e. Racing Brake. Thats what I did.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ugakirk
If it is a squeal from a slow stop than it is just brake dust or other junk on your brakes.

If it is really bothering you, and you don't track it, you can buy ceramic pads or maybe other performance pads that don't make noise.. i.e. Racing Brake. Thats what I did.
Which ceramic pads are u using? And how much did u pay for them if you dont mind me asking..
Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
No I got some Racing Brake pads (front & rear). I love em. I think I paid 200 shipped. I have some very good part store ceramic pads for the rear and never installed em tho. I can't remembered what I paid for those rear ceramic pads but I was gonna prolly sell em eventually for like 30+shipping.

Last edited by ugakirk; Aug 20, 2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

My car tells me she needs a wash when she starts squealing.

So yes, it's the brake dust. If it's constant, then it's worn down.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

After 21,000 miles, I got tired of all the squealing and dust from the stock brake pads and made the switch to GiroDisc Magic Pads this weekend.

After a good bed in, the pads make no noise whatsoever and they seem to have better initial bite than the stock pads. As for the dusting, I guess I'll find out in a couple of days.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Finest
My car tells me she needs a wash when she starts squealing.

So yes, it's the brake dust. If it's constant, then it's worn down.
Definitely on the former. On the latter, it might also be the rotors. I had installed StopTech Street Performance, they have Kevlar, like HPS and HP+, many other "trackable" but safe for street pads do. That Kevlar was greasing up on my rotors. I had them turned, had developed runout, and when truly truly cleaned, the brakes got quiet.

Until the pad material got seeped into the rotors again. Time for the car wash I guess! Just get used to it. You have brakes the sized of a school bus on your little car. Don't be surprised it makes the same brake noise of that big old truck frame. Big pads, big dust.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:49 AM

mine does the same thing after i wash and spray out the wheels its better when my car is dirty it happens alot.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:56 PM

Mines are squealing a lot and I only have 8,300 miles. It annoys the hell out of me when I pull into a crowded parking lot next to a Cafe and everyone looks my way. Mines are obnoxiously loud, like I can hear them pretty loudly even with all my windows closed. I've got them looked at and people have said there is a lot of brake pad material left, so I'm left clueless.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Not a single squeak from mine with 5700 miles. Lots of brake dust though. Guess I'm fortunate.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah at 8500 it squeels from time to time

Quick Reply: Brake noise common on evo x?