Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

coilover poppy sound!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, try greasing the spring perches.

and CALL the vendor you purchased your coilovers from (not me) and see if they can help you. That's the advantage of buying from a good vendor who knows what they are doing and can help you through these things.

- Andrew
Old Aug 23, 2010, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveGSR
how and why do you guys buy coilovers and not know how to use/maintain them?

grease the spring perches is too hard to understand? sell your car.
first off A hole were u born with all ur knowledge? didnt think so! thats why u ask questions so u learn! jus cuz i dnt know wat he means by grease the perches i shldnt own an evo?? ur an idiot!

i bought these coils almost two years ago so i dnt remember who from here i got them from! it was a vendor i do know! but thanks for the help gtworx.com!! forgot u cant help sum1 out unless they have bought sumthing from u!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 03:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I did help you. What else can i do from here? I help a LOT of people that buy parts from other people and to be honest I've gotten a little tired of providing customer support for parts I don't (or wouldn't) sell while the vendor that the customer bought them from doesn't have a clue how anything works. Maybe that is not the case here but you can also call the manufacturer.

People forget that you can just pick up a phone and call the people that make or sell the part. If they can't help you, then you shouldn't buy parts from them, simple as that.

As I said, put grease on the spring perches and/or buy some Swift thrust sheets. You need to take the coilovers apart to do this. If you don't feel comfortable taking them apart yourself, take them to a good shop.

Time for a beer.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Aug 23, 2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

ehhh dnt wanna have to take em apart!!
Old Aug 30, 2010, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem on my coilovers. It was caused by excessive lowering which made the protective rubber boot bunch up, eventually binding the coil. Steering in either direction would produce the characteristic popping noise.

I don't see any way for you to solve this problem other than to have the shocks accessed, inspected, and installed correctly (with the advice from posts above). This is part of the drama of running aftermarket parts. Everyone pays to play!

Good luck.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

thanks man! i took both off and cleaned em really well wid toothbrush etc mad sure the spring was tight as hell on there and put em back on and no more sound! so must have been the springs were loose or sumthing
Old Feb 27, 2011, 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I just bought a used 08 EVO X GSR. The car came with JIC FLT coilovers. The car has 22,xxx on it. I am having the exact same problem as the OP. Would getting Swift Thrust Sheets solve my problem? Or should I try to take the front coilovers apart,clean them, and re install them? Thanks in advance!