Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Do you guys resurface rotors when changing pads?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2010, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roto Pro's rotors are cheap and have stood up to the heavy track abuse I have given them. I have had two sets of pads turn to charcoal on me during separate track events and the rotors are still good. Not sure if they make them for the X, but they might be something to look into if your not worried about weight.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by casper980
Roto Pro's rotors are cheap and have stood up to the heavy track abuse I have given them. I have had two sets of pads turn to charcoal on me during separate track events and the rotors are still good. Not sure if they make them for the X, but they might be something to look into if your not worried about weight.
Where/what merchant carried the roto pros for the older Evo (assuming that's what you have)? I was sort of thrilled this year to find partsgeek and rockauto carried affordably priced rotors, a few hundred for all wheels. I'm dropping in the "Winhere" rotors on Sunday with some Hawk DTC-60s and bedding them, so I'm anxious to see how they feel and then how they hold up next weekend after at the track. I am also wondering how "streetable" my ride will be on track pads since it might be a few days or week before I can change my 'dance shoes' for street shoes. Experience will tell me I'm sure.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 08:37 AM

Steve,

I don't have the tools to do it where I live now. Mechanics around here actually scare me of how little they know. I just wanted to see what people out there were doing. I'll have to wait for them to take them out so I can take a good look at them.

What's your thought on GSport pads? I got a good price at tirerack.com

I want to stay as close to the Brembos on cold breaking as possible.

Originally Posted by journeymansteve
They're giving you a load of crap. You have an Evo, might as well learn to jack it up and remove the wheels often. You need to. You will be inspecting things that a shop like you're dealing with won't look at nor tell you even if they see things. You're going to be going fast, trust no average mechanic with your life.

EDIT: I just saw your screen name, Ms Evo. Sorry to ask you to wrench the baby... if you can't do it yourself personally, please do find someone who trusts you enough to let you watch the whole process. Educational for you for sure. None of the labor though is physically demanding. Worst part is taking the lug nuts off; you need a torque wrench to do the re-tightening. If you don't, the studs expire prematurely.

On topic, the rotors will last way more than 40k. If your first set of pads lasted you 40k, you're getting more life out of them than I did, and that means your rotors are living an easier life too.

At 36,000 miles, I did get my rotors turned (removed them and took them someplace) because the car developed "run-out", manifesting itself as a shimmy when easing on the brakes. They had plenty of material.

However, that's probably about it for these rotors as it comes to turning. It's not just an evo thing, its a lathing thing that just takes metal and it never comes back. I recently discovered that RockAuto carries rotors for the X -- hurray! I am fine with blank rotor faces and heavy steel, I'm not so fast I need two part or slotted.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ms_EvoX
Steve,

I don't have the tools to do it where I live now. Mechanics around here actually scare me of how little they know. I just wanted to see what people out there were doing. I'll have to wait for them to take them out so I can take a good look at them.

What's your thought on GSport pads? I got a good price at tirerack.com

I want to stay as close to the Brembos on cold breaking as possible.
I haven't actually used my GSports G6 pads. I read that the predecessor, GS5, was a great pad, a little bit better than OEM pads (they caliper says "brembo" but the pads were mfr by some other company).

I am happy with my "StopTech" Street Performance pads up front, they squeal a little more than original, but they have super nice tight braking feel. I just checked that Tirerack listing for the Gsport G6's and those look pretty comparable, a little cheaper than the StopTech's.

I'd say "go for it".... you may have already found that Mitsubishi wants about $600 for front plus rear pads, not installed. Crazy!

Ask around your group of friends and the friends they have. Changing brakes is really not rocket science. The one key thing special you would have someone do to these is to ensure they don't force dirty fluid back into the system, that the fluid is flushed/bled more than you would worry about on a stock Toyota Camry
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:58 PM

If you drive easy and dont do hard, hard stops. Your probably fine not to turn them. After 2 sets of pads are trashed, I'd check the rotor thickness to see if they should be replaced (rotors)