Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Seriously, how hard is it to center the steering wheel on an alignment rack?!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 05:58 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Thumbs down Seriously, how hard is it to center the steering wheel on an alignment rack?!

I bought Star Specs a couple months back, went and got he car aligned to -1.5 degrees of camber in the front, -1 degree in the rear, 0 toe all around. They did a great job on that, car felt great. But I noticed the steering wheel was a few degrees too far to the right, like the wheel was tracking the car straight at almost 1:00.

This went from mild annoyance to MADDENING on an 8 hour drive to Ohio. I got back, took it in this morning, and asked them nicely to fix it.

They were nice about it, called me a little later, and I pick up the car, notice the gas gauge is down 1 bar, and my CD is like 4 tracks higher than where I dropped the car off. Sadly, I was too stupid to put down my mileage when I left, because I have used this shop a ton in the past, and they always put the car right back outside.

So I am wondering if some shop tech took a joyride in my car.

No matter, I think, at least the fricking wheel will be centered now. WRONG, WRONG. Now its just slightly to the left this time like 3 degrees. It is less off than it was before, but you would think if they tested the car they would have caught this. I am not typically this ****, but how hard is it to do this properly? Sheesh! I have been driving for 21 years, had lotsa cars, lotsa alignments, and never had this problem before. I've used this shop at least 10 times and never had this issue with them before now.

Time to change shops.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry man!! but i wld take the car for a test frive to make sure it was ok if i was the shop!!!!
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
yea... I've found that most places can't get the steering wheel exactly straight. Might be due to some slop overall between the wheel and tie rods. I gotten in the habit of just fixing it myself. I adjust both sides the same amount to make sure the toe is kept the same, and just adjust it in the proper direction to straighten the wheel.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My alignment guy (Scott at Fastrack in Peabody MA) has me sit in the car and ask's me to put the steering wheel where I want it before he finalizes the alignment. I'm currently running -1.3 degree camber on all four corners with 0.05 toe in front & back (the car is more prone to wander with the extra camber), and the steering wheel is dead nuts centered.

You wouldn't believe how much the alignment changes after you get in the car.

Old Aug 26, 2010, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its really simple to center the wheel when the alignment is being done. Every alignment rack I've ever used has an attachment that centers the steering wheel while the wheels are being aligned. Now and then, the steering wheel will be off a little, but its quickly fixed by a minor toe in / out adjustment. That's why its important to test drive every alignment. When I used to do front end work, I always explained this to the customer, and invited them to ride along if they wanted.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 05:23 PM

Same thing for me i got an alignment today and my wheel is 11 o clock to go straight. Looks retarded and is getting fixed asap.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Always happens hard to find a good alignment shop.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine would change when I *started* the car. Once we realized that, we'd get it close and then power up (ie. turn the car on) and finish it up. It was drifting about 0.07*, enough that the wheel was cockeyed.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:39 AM
Evolving Member

theres always someone who would **** it up...
Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

its so annoying i have to get an alignment after each track day! the only place that can get it right, for a while anyway, is one 73 miles away. i guess ill get an alignment at a race shop that isn't so far then go to that other place and have them match the specs.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:38 PM

I brought mine to my local firestone, had them put it on a rack, sat in it and put the wheel to center, and told him to set the toe to 0. Worked like a charm.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

yea but i also had a liftetime alignment on my GTS when i had it and the idiot also had the steering wheel cockeyed to counterclockwise a good 3 degrees or so. when you go somewhere just ask for a master tech so you know he's not a tard
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Not having a steering wheel centered after an alignment is extremely annoying, I agree. One of my pet peeves.

I have two places that I trust for alignments, and both of them are told to make absolutely sure the steering wheel is centered, both before they start and after they are done. One of them even has a tool to hold the steering wheel in place while the alignment is done.