Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Review and pics of H&R coilovers for Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review and pics of H&R coilovers for Evo X

I just got the box at my door today. Thank you Perrin for getting these to me. Lots of pictures taken. Early impression is that this is the way to go for the lowering spring crowd that wants a shock that can match a proper spring with a man's spring rate behind it. None of that wimpy 1kg increase over stock crap.

8k front, 7k rear. BILSTEIN shocks. fronts are inverted. stainless steel construction.

more info and pictures coming...

see the Bilstein etching?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

lots of pics...here we go:

Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Spring length front and rear is the same at a little over 7 inches. helper springs are the same length too. ~8k front rate, ~7k rear rate.

i'll convert the inches of strut travel into mm tomorrow to see how they compare to stock.

build assembly and quality is very similar to KW. Bilstein is etched on the front struts.

I like how the spring rate is printed on the bumpstop for each progression.

the lockrings look good...anondized metal.

there is also a plastic ring included so that the springs won't make popping noises when turning the wheel at low speed.

ill be installing them in september so until then, this is really all i can offer up other than the strut travel numbers later. any questions just ask and i'll try to answer them
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

INSTALLED!

Review coming later. :P

I kid, here's some early impressions:

Soft ride, daily driver approved. Rebound setting could use a little tweaking, but overall a great suspension and is what I initially hoped it would be. It just isn't that stiff in terms of ride quality, but in the turns the car does not lean much and is very precise. Without a real alignment the car is nice and tail happy, despite the 8k/7k spring rates (I blame my RSB set on middle) I'm going to get an alignment within the next few days as the springs settle so that I can then decide where to put the RSB.

I still need an alignment and need to raise the ride height due to the front plastic undertray rubbing, but so far so good. About what I expected, very comfy for a coilover system.

Last edited by DaveGSR; Nov 24, 2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

I'm driving these over the roads back home here in PA near NJ. Pretty bad stuff that would make my old KWs and BCs freak out. The H&Rs handle it better. Rebound isn't set where I'd like it for that rough stuff, but it isn't harsh like the BCs or overly bouncy. The suspension is critically damped.

I took the car to my local shop and had them give the car a run through the "test track". We've done this loop of off-camber turns and potholes in damn near everything out there from Ohlins to cut stock springs. The comments were, "Too good for the price you paid. Better than the T2s (revalved V3s), still progressive enough to lean into a turn without a snappy steering wheel, great ride, nice and comfy" and a few other things. Over most roads, they're similar to stock. I know I've read that before with suspension reviews, but it isn't until you hit something good sized that you notice "hey, i'm on coilovers with over twice the factory spring rate!"

Basically for the money, they're too good. Could be sold for a couple hundred more. Some will complain about lack of adjustablility, but when its right, its right and these are about 99% right.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

so you had the KW V3 before these? Or another version of KW since your review sounds so convincing.

PM the price paid and vendor if possible. im thinking about upgrading my current stance coilover setup to something smoother.

my gf has bilstein CO on her s2k and the ride is like butter compare to my evo.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by linjy2
so you had the KW V3 before these? Or another version of KW since your review sounds so convincing.

PM the price paid and vendor if possible. im thinking about upgrading my current stance coilover setup to something smoother.

my gf has bilstein CO on her s2k and the ride is like butter compare to my evo.
compared to revalved V3's that were focused for the track. Not the same suspension focus, but for a daily driver/ my uses these are better. I'm positive that in a track environment, the adjustments and wide valving of those V3's would have been quicker than the H&Rs around a track.

They will ride a lot better than your Stances do.

I paid $1495 plus shipping through Perrin. Adam and those guys will treat you right.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

yea i dont plan to ever track. maybe once but thats it.

thanks for the review.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 09:00 AM

Sounds like you made the right choice...with suspension setups, it took 3-4 times to get the ride and handling I wanted on my previous car...nice choice!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boost10
Sounds like you made the right choice...with suspension setups, it took 3-4 times to get the ride and handling I wanted on my previous car...nice choice!
Thanks! I'm glad I got it right, it was a bit of an experiment and blind faith in Bilstein that these would be what I was looking for. No one's more happy than me that I only had to buy once here, haha.

On my previous car I went with Swift lowering springs and the ride/handling were the absolute worst I have ever experienced due to a complete lack of bump travel. I didn't want to repeat that mistake again so I went straight for coilovers this time. Last car I messed around with the "budget" junk then got into a suspension that I never fully used so I didn't want to go down either path again. These are the happy medium for me.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

Some pics from the install:

I'll get installed photos tomorrow after the car gets washed.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Heres how the car sits I lowered the front 1.2" and the rear 1"

Old Nov 29, 2010, 08:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks good Dave!

- drew
Old Nov 29, 2010, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

I have set of these on my VIII. Also from Perrin. Great price and I am loving them for my purposes. Zero regrets here.

Quick Reply: Review and pics of H&R coilovers for Evo X