Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Wheels curbed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheels curbed

Hey, so basically i was making a tight right turn and bounced the car off the curb. (I just got her a month ago, still not used to how wide the car is). Anyways, my rear right wheels is effed. Do i replace the whole wheel? Or is there a way to fix it? Then Alignment/ suspension check right? It totally ruined my day to see my baby hurt. I dont want to go to the dealer because I'm pretty sure they will rape my wallet. Where would i find a good deal on 1 evo X gsr stock wheel? Thank you for you help guys.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
making turns to the passenger side in the X sucks...it drives me nuts

anyway,

you should go to an alignment/tire shop and have the alignment check or even have the car realigned since the factory alignment sucks...while you are there have them check the balance of the wheel

if the wheel is still in good physical shape you could find a mobile wheel repair company to see if they can fix it

if you want to replace the wheel browse the classifieds and PM someone selling one
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
+1 on the getting one from the for sale forums. You can usually pick up a GSR wheel for around 150.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

honestly, if it's just a rash or a chip, don't sweat it. if you really effed your wheels and they have dents, that is a different story.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:52 PM

I can give you "a" true cost to have a wheel reconditioned:

Recondition Wheel: $179.00
Rear tire mount and balance : $15.00
Thrust Alignment : $ 85.00
Grand total paid : $306.20 (CA tax is 9.75%)

Thats what I paid to have my wheel put right. The damage wasnt bad just a bit of rash. I also went to a pro tire shop with all the latest equipment.

When I got the tire and car back it drove better than before and the wheel looked good as new. They even washed the car!!
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Awesome advice everyone! Thanks. So now the question is this, do i fix/replace the wheel first? Or get an alignment first? Getting a new wheel for 150 like the above post said would be pretty sweet. Do they need to take the tire off to see the wheel damage? There is definitely rash around half the lip of the wheel, however none of the spokes got damaged. (weird). When i hit the curb, it felt hard and i was startled when i didnt see any body damage. ( I for sure thought the side skirts were screwed.) Im sure the alignment is off because driving straight now means my steering wheel is not at 12 o'clock but at like 11. Ill try to post pics tomorrow when its light out.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:57 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
take it to an alignment shop and ask them their opinion on the wheel as well as getting the alignment fixed

most alignment shops will be familiar with wheels and I'm sure they can offer you their advice...they'll probably advise you to throw it on a balancing machine to make sure it's straight and true
Old Oct 24, 2010, 01:31 AM
Evolving Member

You're located in Socal. I would recommend googling Son Tran wheel repair. He repaired wheels for Jay Leno an other famous people and worked on high end exotics. Not only that, but he gets the wheel perfect. Look him up
Old Oct 24, 2010, 01:58 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you guys!
Old Oct 24, 2010, 09:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
What is foxed? Never heard of wheels being foxed
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

^He means fixed
Old Oct 24, 2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by cdrinkh2o
What is foxed? Never heard of wheels being foxed
Post *****!
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

If they are still straight and structural integrity has not been compromised. You should think about powder coating all 4 wheels, perhaps white, since you have WW.

I rubbed up on a curb with both of my passenger wheels. Took the tires off, filed down the damage, powdercoated all wheels black. The damage is barely noticable now and they look like custom.

Just an idea, but check your tires also.

Oh and it was $50 per wheel. Did my Intake Pipe and lugnuts while I was at it.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:26 PM

def. take it to alignment shop and just get a better alignment while your at it. Curbed rims suck and its just a pain to deal with. good luck
Old Oct 24, 2010, 04:50 PM

Depends on the damage, you can either refinish the whole wheel for around $150 to $200 or do touch up work for around $50/wheel. I know a guy in MA that fixes curb rashes for dealership and he charged me $120 for fixing curb rashes for three wheels (stock silver color).

Quick Reply: Wheels curbed