Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

To Rota or not to Rota..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2010, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Some people track on rotas. SO they do racing with them.

If you looking for strong wheels then look up Speedline Corse or OZ etc form the Rally set up. But those are heavy compere to the track Volks etc.

It is all about what you need and for what and how much money you can put into it.

I also prefer Enkei over rotas.
Rob
Old Nov 10, 2010, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
definitely the RPF-1's. If anything, Rotas will be even more flashy!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

if you like how they look and the price, go for it. they are really great wheel especially for the price and if many race teams are using them, they are not bad at all. i plan on going Rota's not because i can't afford Volks but because i don't see the value in the Volks for a daily driver especially since i know that they will get destroyed pretty quickly.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

I love my rotas. If you ever curb your rims, instead of repairing, you can get a new one for the same price
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

I can't believe people think RPF1's are stronger than Rota Grid's or Torques. Those things get bent all the time. Great track wheel but for DD you better watch those potholes. I have Rota torques for the winter and the manufacturing and finishing quality far exceeds my expectations for such a budget wheel. I've always loved RPF1's and might get a set for the summer and occasional tracking, but no way I'm running them in the winter.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Rotas are best bang for your buck, if you get volks or ect. and curb them. Your gunna cry... there cheap work well comes in many sizes and colors. cheap to replace and u can spend more money of other parts!
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

get the rpf1
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can crack any wheel. Volks crack. Enkeis crack. Works crack. Advans crack. Rotas crack.

Honestly though, you admitted it yourself that you might do the occasional autox. You're really not going to drive your car extreme enough to crack it unless you curb your wheels or hit pot holes all the time.

Rotas are fine. A lot of autocrossers use them and lately a lot of Time Attack Cars are using them (example: Fortune Auto Time Attack Evo, Turn in Concepts Time Attack STi that took first place in Modified AWD in Round 7 of the Redline Time Attack in Florida, and the AFI Turbo S2000 team is using them) . They're competitive.
Attached Thumbnails To Rota or not to Rota..-img_3514.jpg  

Last edited by 4B11AWD; Nov 11, 2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:43 AM
Account Disabled

I had Rota DPTs. 2 Cracked and bent and 1 other just bent. I have never raced my car. However, I do agree with the pot hole statement. I live in WV and the roads here are horrible. At the time I didnt have the money for much more so thats what I got. They were ok, but I didnt even have them for a year before they were replaced. This time I had the money so decided to go with something a little more high branded(Weds)

If you live in a city that the roads are decent then Id say go for it. If not, its going to be a pain in the long run IMHO
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4B11AWD
You can crack any wheel. Volks crack. Enkeis crack. Works crack. Advans crack. Rotas crack.

Honestly though, you admitted it yourself that you might do the occasional autox. You're really not going to drive your car extreme enough to crack it unless you curb your wheels or hit pot holes all the time.

Rotas are fine. A lot of autocrossers use them and lately a lot of Time Attack Cars are using them (example: Fortune Auto Time Attack Evo, Turn in Concepts Time Attack STi that took first place in Modified AWD in Round 7 of the Redline Time Attack in Florida, and the AFI Turbo S2000 team is using them) . They're competitive.
that's really impressive, I think I've decided to go with the "southern-home/equate" brand of wheel, aka the rotas Since I will be driving the car every day, and parallel parking, I know one day I will curb the **** out of a wheel, and if I did that to a volk, I'd have to kick my own ***.

Now just to decide on the color.

I'm reallllllllly considering cosmic blue grids, I think it would stand out enough to be different, but not enough to be like "HOLY **** LIME GREEN WHEELS"
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:18 AM

I have grids on my evo 8 18 9.5 with a grids 20 offset makes the whip look chubby go with grids
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Or look for the For Sale thread for some used TE37's thats what im going to do
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by THE8UH8
Or look for the For Sale thread for some used TE37's thats what im going to do
still prob run you more than the cost of the rotas brand new. Plus my brother bought some used te37's and they did some weird ****, started fading or something? He was out there one day putting peanut butter on the wheels, i was like wtf. He ended up getting them powdercoated gloss black. Looked hot.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Enkei's with tires for under 2k or WedsSport wheels and tires for just above 2k

Anyone here at Gruppe-s will tell you either one is worth it. With Enkei, Volk, Weds, or Work you get for what you pay for... Quality.

Rotas are not safe to AutoX on and honestly the quality of your factory wheels surpasses the quality of the Rotas. I have seen a bunch of Rotas crack. One time all the spokes came off of the wheel and messed this guys subframe up so bad it was over 4k in repairs. Be safe and go with a stronger wheel.

Last edited by Gruppe-S; Nov 11, 2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick Reply: To Rota or not to Rota..