Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

To Rota or not to Rota..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go with the blue grids it'll look sikk
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kind of cool looking imo, the blue RPF1 are about the same color.

Those cosmic blue grids on the WW:

I think the cosmic blue would be the way I'll end up going.

Cosmic Blue DPT's on Apex Silver:

Apparently noone has put cosmic blue grids on an AS yet.

Last edited by BoostedSlvrGSR; Nov 11, 2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Rota winter setup

G-force Yamaha Black 18x9+25

Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:53 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would prefer to run stock Enkei wheels over Rotas to be completely honest, just too many horror stories from the front lines.
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
all i will say is there are a ton of people that run rota and they are fine on this board not to mention of all wheel junkies EVODAVE does some serious racing all the time in his evos and he using rotas to perfection thats some hard autocrossing day and night and he has had no issues with them. I think this whole quality control issue is something of the past but now new standards make the wheel brand better plenty of other big names that have rotas and no issues period.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

I am on my second set of rotas and have never had any issues. I put out 650 whp through them daily. I drive my evo to work and where ever else I feel like going.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 4B11AWD
You can crack any wheel. Volks crack. Enkeis crack. Works crack. Advans crack. Rotas crack.

Honestly though, you admitted it yourself that you might do the occasional autox. You're really not going to drive your car extreme enough to crack it unless you curb your wheels or hit pot holes all the time.

Rotas are fine. A lot of autocrossers use them and lately a lot of Time Attack Cars are using them (example: Fortune Auto Time Attack Evo, Turn in Concepts Time Attack STi that took first place in Modified AWD in Round 7 of the Redline Time Attack in Florida, and the AFI Turbo S2000 team is using them) . They're competitive.
well, do you have any proof of the Volks craking? I used them and did damaged them , but they bend vs crack or shatter... Same with Forged wheel typically.
You cant crak anywheel. Example the Volk. But those are track wheels. I wanna see how you would crack my Speedline Corse's LOL
You probably will destroy the car before those wheels. About rotas i told my opinion enough on them, so i make it short , i would not let my investments depend on them. They have a long way to go and proof themself.

Rob
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
well, do you have any proof of the Volks craking? I used them and did damaged them , but they bend vs crack or shatter... Same with Forged wheel typically.
You cant crak anywheel. Example the Volk. But those are track wheels. I wanna see how you would crack my Speedline Corse's LOL
You probably will destroy the car before those wheels. About rotas i told my opinion enough on them, so i make it short , i would not let my investments depend on them. They have a long way to go and proof themself.

Rob
Rob, I did attach a picture of a cracked Volk.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

another thing which people constantly ignore is sample size. how many rota's have been sold vs. other wheels? with the low price of Rota's, i would imagine that they are selling more rims to the average folk than Volk which in turn might also contribute to the higher failure rate. unless we can find exact numbers of how many failures vs. how many sold, everything is speculation.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blonde
another thing which people constantly ignore is sample size. how many rota's have been sold vs. other wheels? with the low price of Rota's, i would imagine that they are selling more rims to the average folk than Volk which in turn might also contribute to the higher failure rate. unless we can find exact numbers of how many failures vs. how many sold, everything is speculation.
True understanding of business sales and statistics.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

no offense , but i dont want to go in another endless threads about it. Look up the other thread where we al said what is can be said Rotas vs Volks and so on.

Rob
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

no you attached a Volk Racing cap as far as i can see it.

I got a big accedent with Volks , that didnt happened with them strangly enough. I hit the tree with the wheels and completely ripped the wheel and the car apart. So sorry i go for my personal experience vs someone internet pictures.
Volks are much much more better wheels , period.
There is no miracles in racing, specially not in wheels.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
In case people didn't know rotas are made in the Philippines. What does this mean? Well two things: a) they may not be of the same quality and testing procedures, b) they got cheaper labour than Japan so maybe they do the same job for less. I'm not sure if a wins over b or vice versa but there you go.

Also I have friends that have run only rotas on their cars for years. Which includes regular track sessions. They have yet to crack, bend, etc. a wheel yet (except curbing, but thats not the wheel's fault).
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
Enkei's with tires for under 2k or WedsSport wheels and tires for just above 2k

Anyone here at Gruppe-s will tell you either one is worth it. With Enkei, Volk, Weds, or Work you get for what you pay for... Quality.

Rotas are not safe to AutoX on and honestly the quality of your factory wheels surpasses the quality of the Rotas. I have seen a bunch of Rotas crack. One time all the spokes came off of the wheel and messed this guys subframe up so bad it was over 4k in repairs. Be safe and go with a stronger wheel.
OK so Weds can't crack

SA-70's are CAST ALUMINUM. Why do vendors and Rota bigots continue to spread false info despite all evidence that ANY CAST WHEEL can crack? Where is the smoking gun showing Rota's manufacturing process inferior to Advan casting? Wedsport casting? Seriously, so much bull**** gets spread on this board

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...ale-cheap.html
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blonde
Here is how Volks are made:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...ys-wheels.aspx

Seems to me like they are of a much better quality.

Not knocking Rotas at all. I'm just saying.

Quick Reply: To Rota or not to Rota..