Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

To Rota or not to Rota..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2010, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have lots of miles on my Rota Torque's, including over 1000 miles of track time, no problems with them. Except when someone says, ooohhh, are those WORK wheels....Me -> No (head down in shame). I do want to upgrade to a set of 17x9.5 RPF1's though. I can't have anything as nice as Volks, I would curb one in first hour with my luck.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aftershock141
Here is how Volks are made:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...ys-wheels.aspx

Seems to me like they are of a much better quality.

Not knocking Rotas at all. I'm just saying.
i will never argue that volks are not better because i know from first hand that they are top notch. what we can argue is if Rota is good enough wheel to be used and in that one i will say yes it is. Think about it has Porsche vs. Mazda Miata. is porsche the better car? of course it is. does that mean that the miata is a ****ty car that can't be used for daily driving and the occasional race? no it doesn't. there will always be people that want the best of the best and that is great. but there are also people out there that are just looking for a good affordable wheel that looks good and Rota is a perfect choice for that.

like i said, i can easily afford a Volk wheel but it really doesn't make any sense for me to buy one because of where i live and how i drive my car. if i needed dedicated rims for racing or entered my car into shows etc... i would buy volks in a heart beat. for driving around the crappy *** roads of Boston day in and day out, $3000 rims are the last thing that i am going to buy especially if $1000 rims that i like are available.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:20 AM

I heard the horror stories 2 years ago when i had my MR 8...went with the first wave of SVN's...badass wheel for a great price...ran a wider tire and had ZERO problems for 30K street miles...

I only have seen one posted internet pic of a busted rota...the story 'it just broke apart on the fwy onramp'...ironically the rest of the story was missing...

You hear and read all the bad stuff regarding rotas...they offer a knock-off at a significantly cheaper price...the wheel is also readily available...I passed on Volks, yes passed, since trying to get the same volk wheel, size, fitment, and color in case one got damaged by me seemed overly difficult to find...

Sure when people asked it seemed like a taboo but seriously get over it...its my car so **** off

The same can be argued with exhausts...its all subjective...
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
Ride quality is a subjective term. So it's hard to answer that.

What makes Volks great is how strong they are and how light they are.

Just because Rotas have been tracked, doesn't mean it's safe. I've personally seen with my own eyes a cracked Rota wheel. I will never recommend them.
I've personally seen with my own eyes a cracked volk ce28. Does that mean all volks are ****? No! But those volks were track wheels for an s2k for years.

What people don't realize is that wheels are a wear item. If you buy a used wheel which has been sold and resold 10x over, over torqued who knows how many times with inconsistant values on each lug, with curved lugs made for oem wheels, a couple years down the road it could break... Any wheel can, including the beloved volk.

Now let it be clear, I am in no way hating on volk wheels, they make a great product and they deserve better than to get ripped off by some Taiwanese (or wherever rota and other copy cats are from) company.

edit:

I've also seen a Prodrive wheel completely broken in a crash at the track, as in all the spokes broke, the center was completely seperated from the outside rim.

what I'm saying is that any wheel can break... you just hear about rotas most often cause of the reasons I mentioned above (rota's get resold alot more than any other wheel) and because there are alot of rota haters out there that jump at every chance they get. I can see hating them for what they deserve (ripping off other company's designs), but them being weak is an invalid reason

But to say it's "unsafe" to track them is crap. GST uses them on their time attack car. There are tons of people tracking their cars on rota's. Just if you buy rota's, buy them new and use a torque wrench to properly tighten the lugs every time, you'll be fine. Especially if you don't track your car often.

Last edited by WarmMilk; Nov 12, 2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:48 AM

xxr 522 FTW great wheel for the price

Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

so time to order has come. I noticed the bubble more and more while detailing the car the other day, and on the trip home, there was a funky ticking noise coming from that tire, paranoia maybe, but I felt like the tire was about to explode. Could be the brake pads, haven't really narrowed it down, but will be replacing brake pads, brake lines, wheels, tires and lowering springs at the same time, might as well.

Now just for what wheels to order... god, tough call. Im really feeling some RS-D's haha so steep though.. credit card debt here I come
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:45 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not a fan of their originality, but I haven't had any complaints about mine.

I'f black RPF1s weren't an arm and a leg (almost twice as much) and very hard to find if you damage one I might have gone that route... unfortunately as much as I like the RPF1 it is a bit played out. I still like it, I just half hate seeing it everywhere.

Those Wedsport SA-70 look great... but thats 2 arms and a leg.

Last edited by fostytou; Mar 5, 2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

I know I can't afford anything really nice, so I am just gonna be stickin with rotas I think on mine, I think that I am gonna be going with the rota SVN-R 18x10 +20 in the cosmic blue or flat black. since I cannot and will not shell out the money for a set of volk RE-30.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by lilgunz
I know I can't afford anything really nice, so I am just gonna be stickin with rotas I think on mine, I think that I am gonna be going with the rota SVN-R 18x10 +20 in the cosmic blue or flat black. since I cannot and will not shell out the money for a set of volk RE-30.
so other words you are a perfect costumer for Rota.
Dont even sweat on it, they look just as anything is more expensive, so really you will look good.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pmoney559
So I think you're asking about reliablilty between Rotas and real deal forged rims by Volk. Wheel quality is a safety issue, so I'm sure there are some international codes or standards that wheel manufacturers have to abide. Im pretty sure Rotas arent made by somebody in their back yard as a hobby. If you do some research that you will find failed Rotas as well as failed Volks. Its like this: do you buy brand name medicine, or do you buy generic medicine at the store. I find that generic medicine is cheaper and does the same job. If you have the money, and want absolute original product, get the brand name.

I wouldn't get confused between medicine use and wheels . Specially in the states. I think i said enough about the medical companies . Some people get well just from vitamin use and no medicine. If you know which vitamin u should use.... Remeber when they try take off the vitamins from the shelfs? Anyway.

There is two different safety issue- standard, exists. One is for the public, hence Camry's - Honda's etc. You got a picture.
The other is a racing safety,or higher stress . More broadly , its like tires on public road. For trucks you can buy tires which is good for towing and other which dont. Both is great for DD and light- short towing, but when it comes down to heavy and or long towing which one you prefer?
Would you tow like 500 miles with a not rated one? Sure it would do it , but how long? And would you use the well know tires for that or you would cheapn out on them? Question is why is cheaper really? but that is a whole another story, and off topic.

So the question is which one are we talking about , when comes down to the Evolution? The Evolution is one of those unique cars , which can be successful in both world, with really small modification on them.
Since it can be one/daily driving/ or the other /racing/ OR BOTH.
The first occasion, the Rota is more then enough. The Second , i wouldnt even consider.
Now the third one is tricky. Depends how much you use them in each segment. But still the DD and the track use is a very hard things on wheels together. SPecially if you do a lots of miles.
SO in my opinion , for DD show the Rota is perfect and no need to look over them , anything above is different.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 4, 2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

I ended up buying Volks and I don't regret it.

A big swaying factor was that I could get volks within 2 weeks, and wheeldude quoted me 8-12 weeks for a set of grids. I got a great deal on the TEs so I went for it and now I'm happy I did.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
OK so Weds can't crack

SA-70's are CAST ALUMINUM. Why do vendors and Rota bigots continue to spread false info despite all evidence that ANY CAST WHEEL can crack? Where is the smoking gun showing Rota's manufacturing process inferior to Advan casting? Wedsport casting? Seriously, so much bull**** gets spread on this board

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...ale-cheap.html
nice tone dude....

show me a picture with a Speedline Corse is cracked ...

70 world championships under the belt and counting....

get over it, Rotas are good for the price,but that doesn't make them priceless....

Rota fan boys...

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 4, 2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pushn'lbs
They are perfectly fine. Its all branding man. Many racing teams run rota, without problems.
But volks are forged, and rota are cast. Honestly I have owned volks, and unless you are a huge track junkie, then their not worth it. It was nice having people "oohhh and ahhhh" at my 3000+ wheels. But i'd much rather have bought rotas and use the other 2000 into engine performance. Rota ftmfw!
very well said. but if you do have the extra bucks..i'd go rpf1's as well the 18x10.5's are sweet!!
Old Feb 4, 2011, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had speedline corse on my previous IX. They're heavy, however when I sold the car, the new owner went 30-35 mph sideways into a curb with the car, hit front and rear at the same time... Well you could see where they hit the curb, but they weren't even bent. Car still drove straight after that hit and we went for a full night of snow drifting after that. There is no Rota that can hold that, probably a Volk wouldn't either.

Rotas are nice, they look good, I'd use them for a strictly low speed car... Not on my car though, drive over 120mph often, take it to the track here and there... I bought Volks and have not looked back. For the track, I might try out gramlights 57d since I got an offer to get them cheap, otherwise Enkei/OZ/Speedline.

If I could afford it, I'd buy another set of Volks, but if Rotas would be all I could gather my money for, I sure as hell wouldn't be tracking my car.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 06:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Take a look at this. It might help you make a decision.

http://skylineownersusa.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=10566

Quick Reply: To Rota or not to Rota..